Author Topic: Interesting...  (Read 6782 times)

Offline xxbabygirlstar (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • They say true love hurts, well this could kill me
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
Interesting...
« on: 13 January 2013, 05:35:27 PM »
http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-to-disable-java-amid-zero-day-flaw-7000009713/

Makes you wonder sometimes. It seems legit, it's all over the place and snopes hasn't said anything to disprove it.

Steam name: xxbabygirlstar
Skype name: xxbabygirlstar
Youtube channel: http://youtube.com/xxbabygirlstar
Battle.net: xxbabygirlstar@aim.com

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
Re: Interesting...
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
It is fairly well known among computer safety peeps that programs like Java are among the least secure programs in the world. Adobe also takes the cake.
In fact, Adobe's constant updates are actually so unstable so often that I would recommend turning off auto-updating for Adobe garbage.

Java is EXTREMELY outdated (and overused) software, and it is not surprising that there are more and more severe problems being found in it. Disable it though? You'd be missing out on a lot of the internets. As time goes on Java is being phased out slowly, so if you are ever in the development business, use new and safe and better alternatives.

Advice:
The biggest security threats for things like Java is simply browsing the Internet, in which case you should use a safe browser if you are concerned (browsers are your first line of defense - and are often forgotten about in terms of computer security, but a good browser is very important).
Among the well-known browsers, there is only ONE safe browser, and that is Internet Explorer 9.

"but IE is ghey and i r hate it coz i used ie6 5 years ago and it was ghey! firefox/chrome is soooo much better" -- NOPE. FF and Chrome, while you might like them and think they are cool, are garbage in terms of security. The new IE isn't the old IE from back in the day, and it is great. So use it if you like safety.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2013, 06:19:04 PM by Akomine »

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
It is fairly well known among computer safety peeps that programs like Java are among the least secure programs in the world. Adobe also takes the cake.
In fact, Adobe's constant updates are actually so unstable so often that I would recommend turning off auto-updating for Adobe garbage.

Java is EXTREMELY outdated (and overused) software, and it is not surprising that there are more and more severe problems being found in it. Disable it though? You'd be missing out on a lot of the internets. As time goes on Java is being phased out slowly, so if you are ever in the development business, use new and safe and better alternatives.

Advice:
The biggest security threats for things like Java is simply browsing the Internet, in which case you should use a safe browser if you are concerned (browsers are your first line of defense - and are often forgotten about in terms of computer security, but a good browser is very important).
Among the well-known browsers, there is only ONE safe browser, and that is Internet Explorer 9.

"but IE is ghey and i r hate it coz i used ie6 5 years ago and it was ghey! firefox/chrome is soooo much better" -- NOPE. FF and Chrome, while you might like them and think they are cool, are garbage in terms of security. The new IE isn't the old IE from back in the day, and it is great. So use it if you like safety.

Interesting, very interesting. I was always under the impression that IE's security was the worst.
While it may have beefed up security, it's a total wreck for web designers like myself. I have to do so much special tweaking for IE, it drives me nuts.
And yeah, I tried disabling Java for a whole five minutes until Facebook freaked out on me XD I'm a social media junkie.

Hopefully Java gets some shit fixed.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
LEAVE ADOBE ALONE!!!!
They're locating in my town. ): They're pretty much taking over us.
I think it's actually almost finished.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
Internet Explorer blows. I don't like having to wait 10 seconds for a website to load.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
Mexico blows. I don't like having to wait 10 seconds for a website to load.

Fixed

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2013, 07:44:53 PM »

Fixed

Lol, it takes me 1-2 seconds to load most sites with Chrome or Firefox. IE is shit and most people agree : D

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2013, 08:14:18 PM »

Fixed

Lol, it takes me 1-2 seconds to load most sites with Chrome or Firefox. IE is shit and most people agree : D

Last time we had this debate I used facts and I won. Wanna do it again?

FACT: All 4 big browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE) are quite good at brushing off every-day basic phishing junk (which usually comes from link-clicking), all with 90% or higher success rates. Chrome "wins" with its 94% success rate, beating IE9's 92%, Safari's 91%, and Firefox "loses" with 90%.

FACT: Aside from basic phishing, only IE is good at protecting against malware. Damn good actually, because IE has a 96%+ success rate, while Chrome has a terrible 13.2% and Firefox has a terrible-er 7.6% (tied with Opera).

FACT: If it takes you 1-2 seconds to load a link, that is damn slow by my more-or-less instant IE9 standards, and Firefox is slower than both Chrome and IE which should both only take a fraction of a second. Chrome and IE9 are both "lightweight" browsers and seem to be able to open webpages insanely fast. If you are super concerned about fast browsing, IE offers accelerators to make searching for things on your most common sites extremely efficient.

FACT: Star isn't making special tweaks for IE, she is just writing for another browser first and then doing IE after. Someone who writes for IE first (which the majority of the internet uses) could just as easily say that they have to make 'special tweaks' for FF/Chrome/Opera/Safari/whateverthefuckelseyouuse.

I don't know why it's so popular to hate IE, but it is, and I just like clearing up misconceptions.

If you like your browser, that's awesome, have fun. They all have different strengths. But if you want security, only IE offers it.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2013, 08:20:48 PM »

Fixed
FACT: Star isn't making special tweaks for IE, she is just writing for another browser first and then doing IE after. Someone who writes for IE first (which the majority of the internet uses) could just as easily say that they have to make 'special tweaks' for FF/Chrome/Opera/Safari/whateverthefuckelseyouuse.

FACT: Some things that work in FF & GC that *should* work in IE don't. I actually code in FF because the majority of those who come to the site I'm building [writing thing] use FF or GC. Few use IE because of how it completely manipulates layouts that work in *all* the other browsers.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2013, 09:27:11 PM »

Fixed

Last time we had this debate I used facts and I won. Wanna do it again?

FACT: All 4 big browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE) are quite good at brushing off every-day basic phishing junk (which usually comes from link-clicking), all with 90% or higher success rates. Chrome "wins" with its 94% success rate, beating IE9's 92%, Safari's 91%, and Firefox "loses" with 90%.

FACT: Aside from basic phishing, only IE is good at protecting against malware. Damn good actually, because IE has a 96%+ success rate, while Chrome has a terrible 13.2% and Firefox has a terrible-er 7.6% (tied with Opera).

FACT: If it takes you 1-2 seconds to load a link, that is damn slow by my more-or-less instant IE9 standards, and Firefox is slower than both Chrome and IE which should both only take a fraction of a second. Chrome and IE9 are both "lightweight" browsers and seem to be able to open webpages insanely fast. If you are super concerned about fast browsing, IE offers accelerators to make searching for things on your most common sites extremely efficient.

I don't know why it's so popular to hate IE, but it is, and I just like clearing up misconceptions.

If you like your browser, that's awesome, have fun. They all have different strengths. But if you want security, only IE offers it.

Malware? That's why I use antivirus software and a proxy!
I don't understand why do you like IE so much. I have read and also heard from website designers that it is a pain in the ass to optimize sites for IE.  It is unstable, crashes like an overdosed whore and it is far from loading websites instantaneously. The majority of the Internet uses IE because it comes with fucking Windows lol.
Some facts:

http://lifehacker.com/5917714/browser-speed-tests-chrome-19-firefox-13-internet-explorer-9-and-opera-1164

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
I have no idea what those charts are based off of, but I tested some of them myself and the performance of my browser destroys the bars on that chart.
"Visiting LifeHacker.com from address bar" (very scientific source you chose, btw) it lists IE9 at about 1.4 seconds. I just tried it and it HONESTLY took 0.3 at most. Tried it on Chrome and it took I'd say 0.8...

IE9 is not unstable and I have very seldom had it crash. And when it has crashed, which I can remember like once in the last year, it recovered exactly where I was in about 1 second.

Edit: Btw, I agree that IE code standards are not up to snuff for IE 6-8. IE9 is completely rewritten.

Ahh whatever. Why do I bother... I could post a shitty test from a website too! (I chose a scientific one, btw. NSS Labs)
« Last Edit: 13 January 2013, 10:20:44 PM by Akomine »

Offline SirLogiC

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2013, 11:13:12 PM »
Well I have had experience with IE6 and I remember it takes 10 seconds for the browser to finish loading it's junk, fuck it was slow. Everyone remembers that. Then Microsoft copied what Chrome does (make a fast browser) so yeah I can't remember hearing any complaints about IE9. Also quick google search shows there is an adblock app for IE now too. Maybe I will try it out.

Offline millionaurefor

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
Let me enlighten you.

1. IE only stinks cuz u have an old computer with thousands of running programs or millions of downloads.

2.  Can't you just wait 10 seconds geez it is really not that long.

3.  To fix this problem... simple.  GET A NEW LAPTOP OR DESKTOP!!!!!!  Duh 😄.
Best Wishes,
millionaurefor

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
Let me enlighten you.

1. IE only stinks cuz u have an old computer with thousands of running programs or millions of downloads.

Let me enlighten you.

1. You obviously don't know shit about computers so please don't even try.

2. Nope, I don't like waiting.

3. My computer is really high end and most likely a thousand times more powerful than yours. I should know, I fucking built it myself.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
Is anyone ACTUALLY waiting 10 seconds for a website to load? Stop using dial up.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
Is anyone ACTUALLY waiting 10 seconds for a website to load? Stop using Internet Explorer 9.

Fixed

Offline SirLogiC

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2013, 04:43:50 AM »
Let me enlighten you.

1) For how efficient most Windows operating systems are Microsoft just loves loading everything else they program with tons of junk. IE was/is slow because of all the bullshit it has to load up that it really doesn't need to.

2) If Chrome loads up in 0.5 seconds and IE loads up in 10 seconds which would you prefer to use?

3) One core of my processor is likely more powerful than your whole system.

Back on topic- I don't wait 10 seconds for a website to load, except occasionally youtube, when it just refuses to move :(