Author Topic: Nelson Mandela 1918-2013  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
« on: 6 December 2013, 02:14:56 PM »
NOTE: I am writing this from my iPhone and I am excluding so MANY important events in Mandela's life. It is really hard to check all sources from my phone so I am making this as simple as possible. A lot of this also comes from my own knowledge so there's a chance that some details aren't 100% right. If anyone would like to add some of the stuff I missed, that'd be great.)

Yesterday Nelson Mandela passed away at the impressive age of 95. He died of a lung infection at his home in Johannesburg.  He had been struggling with health issues and spent months in a hospital.

Mandela fought against the racial segregation in South Africa known as Apartheid. The Apartheid was enforced by South Africa's NP (National Party). NP was the ruling party in South Africa from 1948 to 1994.

In 1990 Frederik Willem de Klerk, South Africa's current president at the time began negotiations to put an end to the Apartheid. From 1990 to 1991 Mandela met with various political leaders including François Mitterrand, Pope John Paul II, Margaret Thatcher, George HW Bush and a lot more. The purpose of this was to get support from major political leaders who could help him in his fight against the Apartheid in South Africa. This fight culminated in South Africa with the first South African democratic multiracial elections in 1994 won by Mandela's party, ANC (African National Congress)

1994 multiracial elections in South Africa
Even though most Apartheid laws in South Africa were abolished in 1990, the 1994 elections marked the true end of the apartheid in South Africa.

In total, 19,726,579 votes were counted with 193,081 getting rejected. Nelson Mandela won the election with over 12 million votes representing 62.65% of the overall votes.

Nelson Mandela will be remembered as a heroic figure all around the world and as a prominent fighter against not only racial discrimination but discrimination in general.

« Last Edit: 6 December 2013, 02:32:36 PM by Airborne101st45 »

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • ckiens
    • View profile
Re: Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
« Reply #1 on: 6 December 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
What a respectable man.