Author Topic: Have we noticed how new players never come back again  (Read 4546 times)

Offline TheCatsMangler (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
Have we noticed how new players never come back again
« on: 26 August 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
They join but have nothing to do and does not know what to do and leave after a few mins
I think more upgrades should be put so we can  get more players and KEEP more players and give them a idea and some teleport's and directions to the out lands and where they can start....

Kovos_Datch

Re: Have we noticed how new players never come back again
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
Frankly, it's their own fault for not reading the rules at spawn. They rush right through them, don't check out the library, and head to Qualia square and go "Lolwut is i am is supposed to do? Derp herp derp". So instead of READING the actual RULES, they suffer for it.

I truly don't see much of an issue for it. It they can't stick around long enough and read the rules to show they are actually committed to the server, that is their own fault; the server doesn't need players like that. Plain and simple.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
Sorry but most people won't read the rules they need something like a wall with a sign saying the stuff and at the end it says wheres the butten or something they need some help to say what to do

Offline Islid

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • Time Traveller Extraordinare
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
I remember most of the setups that I put in were large boxes where the players would be forced to go through a straight, 2x2 tunnel with signs all down the tunnel that they had to read before they could even exit to the general area.

The current idea is extremely inventive and a rather clever way of turning something boring into a little more of an activity, but in the end it accomplishes little other than to give players another thing to distract themselves from the boring part about reading the rules and guidelines.

Perhaps thought should be given to converting the rules area into such a format, in the interest of preventing redundancy.

Offline DarkenedAngel

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
This was literally the first server i played MC on (played a little single player before buying it) and if i can join and have no idea wut i am doing and figure it out so should others... and if they can't then they will most likely be more trouble then they are worth.

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
This was literally the first server i played MC on (played a little single player before buying it) and if i can join and have no idea wut i am doing and figure it out so should others... and if they can't then they will most likely be more trouble then they are worth.

It's easy to say that, but new players (especially those new to Minecraft as a whole) come in varying levels of cleverness. Some are quick to grasp the basic concepts, and some need their hand held a bit before they get it. We shouldn't exclude someone just because of their inability to understand everything that's thrown in front of their face all at once.

Offline DarkenedAngel

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2012, 05:47:42 PM »

It's easy to say that, but new players (especially those new to Minecraft as a whole) come in varying levels of cleverness. Some are quick to grasp the basic concepts, and some need their hand held a bit before they get it. We shouldn't exclude someone just because of their inability to understand everything that's thrown in front of their face all at once.
I am ok with that... but if they are not clever enough to try asking someone then it isn't worth it. All the rules are there if they have any other questions they should ask. If they can't do this i don't see them fitting in well >.>.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2012, 06:09:00 PM »

Our tunnel is not like most places where its just a wall and does do it slower. I really don't think we want people that do not have the Patience to real the signs as they are the same type of people that bitch and complain 24/7 grief and leave. Such as Josh/gray/john/pup. People we just don't need on this server as they are a negative presence mostly.

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2012, 06:10:34 PM »

Our tunnel is not like most places where its just a wall and does do it slower. I really don't think we want people that do not have the Patience to real the signs as they are the same type of people that bitch and complain 24/7 grief and leave. Such as Josh/gray/john/pup. People we just don't need on this server as they are a negative presence mostly.

By the same token, people who would read if it was all laid out in front of them, but choose not to because they're moving through a tunnel like the setup in place now, miss out on the rules because of minor distractions, or sometimes miss signs entirely because they aren't paying attention.

Offline Lycoris

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Artificially Intelligent Data Anomaly
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2012, 07:49:30 PM »
I am a fan of the tunnel Idea,
It was nice walking through there and reading all the signs as apposed to a wall of text.

It gave my poor Eyes a break every now and then

Swatted away by the world, I was atop an incredibly thin needle.
I was using the tips of my fingers to balance,
But it wasn’t until they touched you that I learned I wasn’t alone;
That alone bestowed upon me these crooked wings.
“What do you want to accomplish between life and death,” I asked,
But all you did was laugh, like an angel.
Weaving through the spaces of the hordes of buildings burning in the summer heat,
We’ll eventually descend, pulling that trigger at the very end.
And winter will cover everything.

Offline Kyro

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2012, 09:52:26 PM »
I think the tunnel is a much better way. Most people, especially those who join and leave soon after, don't have the patience to read a giant wall of things they can't do.

I'm guessing most people who leave are looking for different kinds of servers. And like you guys said, we don't want the kind of people who don't have time to read a couple rules on the server. We tell them to go to /warp help as well for a wall of rules.

One problem I will agree with is that most people don't know where to build and will sometimes go outside the immediate area of qualia, and because they can build there, will grief or make ugly ass villages on the borderland. To prevent this, perhaps we need to offer more rewards for existing villages to recruit these new members and kind of show them the ropes.

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2012, 01:57:33 AM »
If someone can't read a few signs that include the server rules, we don't really want them on the server lol.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2012, 07:43:59 AM »
I was thinking about that air but
we want to get members and keep members I hope this Topic i made will help the server

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
It's at least good to have a healthy discourse about it. :P