Author Topic: Scotland independence vote on thursday  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
Scotland independence vote on thursday
« on: 15 September 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
After hundreds of years of England fucking with them, they for the first time in their history get to peacefully vote on being their own country this week.
They have a bunch of oil which England essentially steals and then laughs at them when they ask for a fair cut.
A country with natural resources and a population the size of Denmark, it's fairly obvious that Scotland could flourish and be a happy nation (just as Denmark is).

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
Re: Scotland independence vote on thursday
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2014, 06:12:13 PM »
I personally dislike the fact Scotland and England are breaking apart. We always worked with each other and it's good to have a strong alliance, especially being that close to each other.

They do almost everything the same as us, or we do the same as them depending on your point of view. There are differences of course.

I personally have a bad feeling about this. And I hope that the Queen will step in and see what's wrong. Everyone listens to her.

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
In total opposite to what catty said, I think it's a good thing that Scotland are becoming independent. They get the power they deserve being about the same size as England, and they do have sufficient resources to support themselves. The Scottish have worked very hard over they  years to become independent, and I'd like to see them achieve their dreams. Dispite this, I don't think they will with last week's news.

I'm also for their independence as it's kinda a wake-up call to the rest of the UK, as if Scotland become independent, Wales, Ireland and Cornwall may also want more power. Our country isn't the great place it used to be, and this independent Scotland shows this.

Prediction: The UK won't exist by the turn of the century, and we'll be back to the individual nations again.

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
I personally dislike the fact Scotland and England are breaking apart. We always worked with each other and it's good to have a strong alliance, especially being that close to each other.
Always worked together? Except for, you know, all those centuries and centuries of oppression that still linger today.

See: the current state of London taking Scotland's oil and various other natural resources, Scotland residents overwhelmingly wanting a fair share of the benefits and David Cameron literally laughing at the prospect of being fair.

Look at this video and tell me about "working with eachother". Like holy fuck, if I were a Scot, I'd take one look at that video and go "holy fuck, this is archaic imperial oppressive bullshit, I'm voting to leave". Blatant disregard for Scotland from London.

They do almost everything the same as us, or we do the same as them depending on your point of view. There are differences of course.

I personally have a bad feeling about this. And I hope that the Queen will step in and see what's wrong. Everyone listens to her.

The queen can take her inbred family and anally fuck themselves with a pointy gem-studded crown. How does anyone tolerate a monarchy in 2014? Nobody gets to claim their bloodline gives them any power over me or anyone else. Disgusting. I hope Scotland says to hell with you and your bullshit, we are adults and can make our own decisions without a "queen" telling us she's going to make them for us. Whore. lol

In total opposite to what catty said, I think it's a good thing that Scotland are becoming independent. They get the power they deserve being about the same size as England, and they do have sufficient resources to support themselves. The Scottish have worked very hard over they  years to become independent, and I'd like to see them achieve their dreams. Dispite this, I don't think they will with last week's news.

I'm also for their independence as it's kinda a wake-up call to the rest of the UK, as if Scotland become independent, Wales, Ireland and Cornwall may also want more power. Our country isn't the great place it used to be, and this independent Scotland shows this.

Prediction: The UK won't exist by the turn of the century, and we'll be back to the individual nations again.
Well put. What is last week's news?

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
I agree with what catty said to a degree. I am like 1/16th scottish soooooo............................. funk u

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
Always worked together? Except for, you know, all those centuries and centuries of oppression that still linger today.

I may of exaggerated a bit....a lot...
I have never been one for history to be fair.

The queen can take her inbred family and anally fuck themselves with a pointy gem-studded crown. How does anyone tolerate a monarchy in 2014? Nobody gets to claim their bloodline gives them any power over me or anyone else. Disgusting. I hope Scotland says to hell with you and your bullshit, we are adults and can make our own decisions without a "queen" telling us she's going to make them for us. Whore. lol

Oh yeah it's not like America hasn't got it's own history with Politics.

Y'fucking praise George Washington like he's a god.

But to be fair we praise the Queen like a Goddess.

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
What is last week's news?

Scotland's major bank are planning to move in the event of a 'Yes' vote.
Their currency in the event of a 'Yes' vote is undecided.
Scotland get more power in the event of a 'No' vote anyway.
Their position in the EU, and the EU's opinions, is undecided.
Many on-the-border businesses may move south. (Not last week, but relevant)

Not sure if you can get BBC news in Canada (or wherever other people may be), but there's lots of info on there under the "UK" and "Scotland" tabs of the site. They have quite a bit of info on the vote. :P

Oh, and the Queen does have power. She could disband the government if she wanted. She also has the final say on laws and such. Plus, even though the media are a bit obsessive with the royal family, they're much more like 'normal citizens' nowadays (aside from Prince George's birth being all over the news, and the upcoming baby probably having a similar impact). Obviously ignoring the guarantee to become king and such :)
« Last Edit: 16 September 2014, 02:43:41 PM by luisc99 »

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
Oh yeah it's not like America hasn't got it's own history with Politics.

Y'fucking praise George Washington like he's a god.

But to be fair we praise the Queen like a Goddess.

I'm Canadian, you know, George Washington can suck it.
In all honesty though, Washington is a very commendable person in many ways. In many ways, he is the rare model of what a politician should be. He's got his own baggage too, BUT AT LEAST HIS FUCKING DESCENDENTS AREN'T "SOVEREIGN" OVER ALL OTHER MERICANS.

Facts about Washington:

What is last week's news?

Scotland's major bank are planning to move in the event of a 'Yes' vote.
Their currency in the event of a 'Yes' vote is undecided.
Scotland get more power in the event of a 'No' vote anyway.
Their position in the EU, and the EU's opinions, is undecided.
Many on-the-border businesses may move south. (Not last week, but relevant)

Not sure if you can get BBC news in Canada (or wherever other people may be), but there's lots of info on there under the "UK" and "Scotland" tabs of the site. They have quite a bit of info on the vote. :P

Oh, and the Queen does have power. She could disband the government if she wanted. She also has the final say on laws and such. Plus, even though the media are a bit obsessive with the royal family, they're much more like 'normal citizens' nowadays (aside from Prince George's birth being all over the news, and the upcoming baby probably having a similar impact). Obviously ignoring the guarantee to become king and such :)

Oh I heard about the bank/currency stuff. Big whoop. Start a new national public bank. Fuck private banks anyways. It will be a new country and needs to make a name for itself. Join the Euro or start a new currency like any other nation; gotta start somewhere. The EU essentially has to let Scotland join for a variety of reasons, and it is their best interest to expand the union. I can understand worried businesses near the border wanting to hop down to England. Scotland will need to make a name for itself if it is independent, to make an economy worth participating in (it should have the resources to do this well).
tl;dr - yeah there will be bumps in the road for a new (kindof) country, but at least none of them involve England fucking invading and forcing them what to do. Let them decide their own future. Canada left the UK and we did just fine, currency and all, why can't Scotland too?

And the Queen power stuff: it's mostly ceremonial and she has, for her entire reign, committed to a policy of non-interference. She should be commended for that, I guess. Other than that, she can go fuck herself until she dissolves the monarchy.