Author Topic: Dead State (game)  (Read 3005 times)

Offline SirLogiC (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
Dead State (game)
« on: 6 December 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
So this game I have been waiting a long time for is finally released. Have played it a bit and think it's good!

The game plays very similar to The Walking Dead. The zombies are a constant threat, and can be very dangerous. However the greater danger actually comes from other people, looting and trying to survive like you.

Basically every day you decide jobs for people, then you and some others head out to scavenge for supplies. You NEED food, fuel, building supplies and luxuries. Then you return, see what new supplies you brought back and then "sleep" for the day. Each day you see morale and food breakdown, also how much fuel and antibiotics left.

Scavenging isn't easy. The zombies aren't really a big issue, mostly. Trouble is when there is hostile looters. Zombies can't see good, but they are attracted to noise. Shoot-outs can turn nasty, fast. Actually in this one area I entered a building and there was hostile looters inside, they shot at me so I ran away. I knew some zombies were close. So I heard the gunshots, screams and zombie groans, and when it stopped I entered again and killed the new zombies. I felt bad but I needed that food.

There is also a lot of diplomacy. Like the sheriff made it very clear what shelter upgrade he wanted me to build. If you don't build it in the time he gives be prepared for a leadership battle. You can choose dialogue to be an ass, make sure everyone knows you're in charge, or you can be nice, try and help people and have things run smooth. Then there is the issue of who to let into your shelter. I was going to let this preacher into the shelter, then he said he wanted to prepare everyone for the end times. No outright loons allowed in my shelter, so I told him to go with God.

Graphically the game is ok, but definitely not amazing. Technically it's fairly solid, there is a weird pathfinding glitch which is funny when looting. Also there's a couple annoying UI niggles (like seeing ally stats in the shelter, you can't).

If you like a slow paced game, with tactical combat, this is definitely a solid choice.

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Re: Dead State (game)
« Reply #1 on: 8 December 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
Only turn based game I like is Pokemon. gud shit

Offline SirLogiC (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 December 2014, 03:48:43 PM »

Thought you were a fan of taking turns on the bong?

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 8 December 2014, 04:04:22 PM »
How is the combat? It gives the impression that it isn't particularly "finished" looking.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 8 December 2014, 04:33:03 PM »

Thought you were a fan of taking turns on the bong?
That too

Offline SirLogiC (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 9 December 2014, 02:43:22 AM »
How is the combat? It gives the impression that it isn't particularly "finished" looking.

The combat isn't the main focus really, yeah it is a bit technically simple though. There is no crouching, gun/bow ranges seem quite short, there is no cover. There are special attacks and stuff for melee weapons, depending on the weapon. It's more about choosing weapons though. Better weapons require better stats/skills to use, but for melee weapons you really want to be able to make at least 2 attacks a turn. All guns make a lot of noise, which can draw zombies in fast. I got a crossbow and it's really powerful, but only 1 shot per 2 turns due to massive reload cost, trade off is it's almost silent (makes a good weapon switch for melee though). Bow is also good, lower damage but weird stat requirements. Then there is things like slashing weapons being good against humans and weak against zombies, while blunt weapons are great against zombies but tend to be slower (aka cost more action points to use).

I guess the combat focuses less on military tactics and much more on situational awareness. Noise is a weapon, tool or danger as much as guns are. I really don't notice the combat is simple. Only issue I really have is more zombies should come from off map if there is a lot of noise. 1-3 is too easy to handle. Hrmm I guess this is not a zombie fighting game, this is a post-zombie apocalypse shelter management game. You can fairly easily avoid most combat really, but there are consequences to that. The management part is really good though, it's managing the shelter and the people, who sometimes hate each other.