Author Topic: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition  (Read 6264 times)

Offline pkorus (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
  • Llamas: 0
  • Have no fear Phil is here!
    • View profile
Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition
« on: 4 July 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
Link for curious :
[IGN] http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/07/04/minecraft-windows-10-edition-announced
[Mojang] https://mojang.com/2015/07/announcing-minecraft-windows-10-edition-beta/
[The Verge] http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/4/8892825/minecraft-windows-10-edition-beta-features

There is a open beta starting July 29, and is free to anyone who already purchased Minecraft
If you’re one of the 20 million(!) players who have the PC edition of Minecraft (referred to by techy people as the Java version) you’ll be able to download Windows 10 Edition Beta from the Windows 10 store for free. Other players can get it for the paltry price of $10 during the beta period (the length of which is still being decided).
(Xbox Wire)

The only highlight there seems to be is cross platform play:
This new version is effectively the Pocket Edition of Minecraft for all Windows 10 devices. You’ll be able to create and explore online with up to seven other friends using Xbox Live.
(The Verge)

This announcement also raises the question will VC still be running on the original Minecraft, or will it try moving over to the W10 version.

Thoughts?
Привет, товарищ

сука шлюха

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition
« Reply #1 on: 4 July 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
Depends. The W10 edition would probably break all plugin functionality .. require rewriting our plugin and all our dependencies in another programming language. If they still support java, then staying "hip" and "cool" like all you youngsters say might be groovy

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 4 July 2015, 01:27:56 PM »
If they still support java
I really doubt it. It mentions pocket edition in the blog post, which is written an a C based language (I forget which one). Also, if they were going to release a "A whole new version of Minecraft" then I don't see why they'd stick with java, when they can refractor it and start again in an entirely different language. As Notch once said, it started out as a small game, and the original code was never designed to handle 20 million players. Their post also says "the PC edition of Minecraft (referred to by techy people as the Java version)", which sounds as if it's an exclusive thing to the original.

Also, one of the main MC:PE devs tweeted this and this. So no, it won't be in java, and all plugins would require a recode from scratch. On the other hand, our host does offer MC:PE servers, with limited plugin functionality, so we might be able to get a server compatible with Windows 10 / MC:PE if enough people begged us for it wanted it.

This next point, although coming from me, is not about Microsoft or anything, but is an honest viewpoint. Shouldn't need that disclaimer, but if not somebody will use it against me. From what I can tell, this isn't as good as it may seem. For one, it would require users to use Windows 10. Not I know me and Noket don't use Windows at all, and many of you who do probably won't use Windows 10, so I really don't think it will catch on as much as they think. IMO, it seems like Microsoft's way of making money, and pushing their new OS to try and hide their failed Win8, but that's just my slightly biased opinion.

Because I've got bored of typing this now, and because I've got other things to do, I'm going to stop. Overall though, I can't imagine this being really big, unless what will probably now be called "Classic Minecraft" development stops.

Also, not wanting to brag, but I did kinda predict something right back in my initial MS rant. I mean, all the other things I said you can ignore. This one though, is kinda relevant. Only about a month out :)
May: Availability on Linux, Mac, Android, iOS and PS3/4 will become limited

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 4 July 2015, 02:44:57 PM »
It looks like W10 edition is just the pocket edition on W10.

I assume the 20-million copy java edition will continue on, lol. Unless they convert the main edition over to C and keep all existing buyers happy.

VC will keep using the main version (currently java)

Unrelated: pocket edition is uniquely awful (my opinion).

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 4 July 2015, 07:33:39 PM »
but if not somebody will use it against me

Rats! My ingenious scheme has been foiled

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 4 July 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
Watched a vid where someone was talking to the dev. It's in C++, and has some random aesthetic features regular mc doesn't have. Most people in the comments were under the impression because it is no longer on "laggy java", they will be able to run unlimited frames, and "play with my brother on his phone and me on my beast pc with hundreds of mods and no lag".

They have no idea how java / c++ works.

I'm not being a part of this any more though. Otherwise I'll start ranting :)

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 5 July 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
When Luis and Noket talk about code: