Author Topic: 2016 Election Follow up  (Read 2747 times)

Offline ShadowNotice (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
  • Llamas: 0
  • Okay
    • View profile
2016 Election Follow up
« on: 1 November 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
So I got a lot of not Americans answering, I got a lot of '2) If I vote third party my vote will be wasted because nobody else will.' answers.
I have a solution for this, let me know what you think.
I think the US should go back to a 2 vote system, where everyone casts 2 votes. One vote for one candidate, and a second for another. The reason we should do this is because then the democrats will most likely vote democrat and a third party, and the republicans will vote republican and a third party. Through this system third parties will be brought into play. After the 2016 election many new parties will be formed I am guessing, due to the unrest and unsatisfactory candidates for the major parties.
Imagine a party for every spot on the political spectrum and a party for every type of moderate.
My llamas ran away, I need to go find some more.

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
Re: 2016 Election Follow up
« Reply #1 on: 1 November 2016, 06:58:52 PM »
I mean the fact there is only one 'seat' kinda makes it hard to get a good voting system, but something like STV may be useful, if people know how to use it. Then third parties could have a chance to thrive.

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 1 November 2016, 07:12:14 PM »
So I got a lot of not Americans answering, I got a lot of '2) If I vote third party my vote will be wasted because nobody else will.' answers.
I think the US should go back to a 2 vote system, where everyone casts 2 votes. One vote for one candidate, and a second for another. The reason we should do this is because then the democrats will most likely vote democrat and a third party, and the republicans will vote republican and a third party. Through this system third parties will be brought into play. After the 2016 election many new parties will be formed I am guessing, due to the unrest and unsatisfactory candidates for the major parties.
Imagine a party for every spot on the political spectrum and a party for every type of moderate.

Did the US used to use an Alternative/Ranked Vote system? That's what you're talking about, right?

When electing a house of representatives, this type of system fixes some problems with FPTP, but creates a bunch more, and doesn't necessarily make things more proportional. It does give a voter more choice, though, which is nice.

A proportional representation system may as well just be used if you're looking for a way to allow every political spectrum viewpoint to have a shot.

I mean the fact there is only one 'seat' kinda makes it hard to get a good voting system, but something like STV may be useful, if people know how to use it. Then third parties could have a chance to thrive.

This is totally true, except the voters are techincally voting for delegates, which are awarded on a state-wide FPTP basis where winner takes ALL delegates for that state. A couple states (I think Maine is one) have decided to award their delegates proportionally instead, which seems a good solution for all of the states to put into place.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline ShadowNotice (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
  • Llamas: 0
  • Okay
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 2 November 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
Originally the US, had people cast 2 votes for the president. Each for a different candidate.
Did the US used to use an Alternative/Ranked Vote system? That's what you're talking about, right?

When electing a house of representatives, this type of system fixes some problems with FPTP, but creates a bunch more, and doesn't necessarily make things more proportional. It does give a voter more choice, though, which is nice.

A proportional representation system may as well just be used if you're looking for a way to allow every political spectrum viewpoint to have a shot.

This is totally true, except the voters are techincally voting for delegates, which are awarded on a state-wide FPTP basis where winner takes ALL delegates for that state. A couple states (I think Maine is one) have decided to award their delegates proportionally instead, which seems a good solution for all of the states to put into place.
My llamas ran away, I need to go find some more.