Author Topic: 1.12 Update News  (Read 2792 times)

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
1.12 Update News
« on: 30 May 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
Going to get this over and done with before people ask about it. Mojang have said they're aiming for a full release of 1.12 on Friday, the 2nd of June.

They've changed quite a bit of code in this update, renewed a lot of libraries, and recoded how things work. Spigot have made some somewhat buggy versions for the pre-releases, and many people have said a good number of plugins broke. Because the pre-release versions have been out for about a week, developers have had time to start updating their plugins, but it'll still take a while for it to be good enough for us to use.

As you may know, I am very careful when updating the server. I want you experience to be as smooth and glitch-free as I can make it, and running an older version for a few weeks until the new version is of the same quality is the best way I see to make that happen. The last 6 updates have had an average of 47 days between the update being released, and VC moving to that version. (If you want to check yourself, 1.7.4 took 27 days, 1.7.9 took 63 days, 1.8.1 took 46 days, 1.9 took 19 days, 1.10.2 took 102 days, and 1.11.2 took 26 days.) I personally have exams all throughout June, so this isn't a great time for the update to be released for me, but I already spend most of my free time doing stuff for VC, so I'll continue working on the update in my revision breaks. It just means I'll probably be on the server less. However, the first week of July, when I'm all done and finished, I'll plough through the update, and get it running. As such, I estimate we should update sometime around July 7th, which would be about 36 days after the update was released. Please note the underline on estimate. I can't predict how the update will break plugins, and how long they'll need to update. However, I aim to have us up and running on 1.12, in a quicker-than-average update cycle, compared to the 47 days I mentioned above. If all goes to plan.

And you know what? I might throw in a UHC game sometime in early July too. We haven't had one of them in a while, and most of you will be on summer break then. It should be fun doing another one when you're all free. I'll try and sort out an actual proper date closer to the time, when I know how things will turn out. Get hyped for it, VCUHC6 is coming your way soon!

That's it for this announcement. If people ask why we're still on 1.11, or ask when we'll be updating, please point them to this thread.

Ta <3
Luis

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
Re: 1.12 Update News
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
Take your time, I'm here to help if you need it. :D

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
Luis is our VC god

Offline Frog

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
  • The Illustrious Pancake of Anitoch
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2017, 07:10:11 PM »
:D

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2017, 09:19:56 PM »
Luis, you are a legend. You are like an otter who farts cheesecake. Possibly even better than that, who knows. All I know is that you rock.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 7 July 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
I said I'd keep you updated. Here are some updates. Below are two charts. The first is one which shows the status of all the plugins we have now. When it all turns green, all the plugins have been tested to work on 1.12, and we'll update at the next convenient time.
- Green is plugins which I've tested and work on 1.12.
- Yellow is plugins which claim they work in 1.12, but I've yet to test.
- Orange are partially working plugins, which will probably be fine to use if we need to, but I'd rather hold out for an update.
- Blue is plugins we're replacing, which I don't predict there will be any.
- Red is plugins that don't work, and I'll need to replace or fix.
- Finally grey is plugins which I've yet to test, and could well work on 1.12.

The second chart is one which shows how old our plugins are. Plugins are labelled based on the version of MC they recommend using the plugin with. It's highlighted in a simple colour spectrum. It's a good indication of how many plugins should work great, and how many will need more testing.

More updates soon, probably

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 7 July 2017, 02:09:51 PM »
 :D