Author Topic: Moderating Caps  (Read 6013 times)

Offline xxbabygirlstar (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • They say true love hurts, well this could kill me
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
Moderating Caps
« on: 18 December 2012, 11:01:52 PM »
It has recently come to my attention that caps are allowed on the server with absolutely no moderation and no punishment for using them excessively. I think this should be changed. Caps should be controlled.

Now, when I say control, I don't mean "any time people use caps, they automatically get muted" or anything to that effect. I just think they should be used in moderation. If someone is UBER EXCITED or UBER ANGRY or something like that, sure, use caps for 2-3 lines or something. But when people TALK LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME WHEN THEY'RE ON THE SERVER IT GETS PRETTY ANNOYING BECAUSE IT FEELS LIKE THE PERSON IS YELLING AT EVERYONE (see? Didn't it look like I was yelling at you right there?). Staff should have the ability to warn people to cut the caps, and if that warning goes unheeded for a few more lines, then the person should get muted for a few minutes until they calm down.

What do you guys think?

Steam name: xxbabygirlstar
Skype name: xxbabygirlstar
Youtube channel: http://youtube.com/xxbabygirlstar
Battle.net: xxbabygirlstar@aim.com

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
Re: Moderating Caps
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2012, 11:08:11 PM »
Another example of things being allowed now that was not a few weeks ago.

Offline millionaurefor

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2012, 11:12:20 PM »
I agree 😎
Best Wishes,
millionaurefor

Offline Aysun

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2012, 11:15:41 PM »

Yep. Everything just got worse when CJ "resigned." Yep. Relevance?

Back on topic, I agree with Star. Caps should be something that the mods can stay "stop" to if someone is using them excessively. Defining excessive, sometimes younger people just don't know that they shouldn't talk with capslock on, or they do it on purpose to be obnoxious. In this situation, a mod should be able to warn them (by asking them to not use caps - "Watch the caps" may not always make sense) and mute them if they don't comply.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2012, 11:19:27 PM »
Tl;dr: Caps suck.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2012, 11:31:44 PM »

Back on topic, I agree with Star. Caps should be something that the mods can stay "stop" to if someone is using them excessively. Defining excessive, sometimes younger people just don't know that they shouldn't talk with capslock on, or they do it on purpose to be obnoxious. In this situation, a mod should be able to warn them (by asking them to not use caps - "Watch the caps" may not always make sense) and mute them if they don't comply.

The point is it was being enforced, and you saying it is not shows that it changed so ya it is relevant.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2012, 12:19:48 AM »

The point is it was being enforced, and you saying it is not shows that it changed so ya it is relevant.

In English, please. This made no sense.

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2012, 12:33:21 AM »

In English, please. This made no sense.

I can understand it just fine : (

The point is, it was being enforced and you saying it is not, shows that it changed so ya, it is relevant.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2012, 03:05:39 AM »

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2012, 03:11:29 AM »
Spam is spam, and is enforced. The use of caps in moderation is allowed, but spamming them is not.

Forgive me for not understanding why this is such a problem, but I've been on this server for a year, and have never had any instance where caps lock was bothering me. I remind the staff that if they think something/someone is honestly disrupting the server that they can moderate, and that if someone refuses to co-operate, they can act. And as always, if someone is excessively using caps, they can moderate the spam.

I was reading the logs recently and have personally seen players ask people to stop using caps after they used it ONCE. I don't want anyone moderating against that, because it is damn well allowed.

I might be convinced to alter how we treat caps, but I'm just saying I've never recognized it as a problem. And if some mods want to treat caps as a little 'spammier' than regular talk, then I'll turn a blind eye... I guess.

PS: I understood CJ just fine
PPS: are you looking for a fight or something CJ? "Another example of things being allowed now that was not a few weeks ago."

Edit and PPPS: just realized this is in parliament board, so if there is enough interest, we could perhaps vote on this.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2012, 03:25:15 AM by Akomine »

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Aysun

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2012, 08:12:53 AM »
I think telling them to stop caps after using them once or twice is a bit excessive myself. I get excited and use them sometimes, and joke with them sometimes as well even myself. :P

If excessive caps falls under the spam rule I don't see a problem either. Mods can still ask that they're not used excessively. No biggie.

I apologize if my response to CJ was a little irate, but I'm getting a little tired of things being stirred up and did not see how his response contributed to the discussion on capslock usage at all.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
Well I did have a full post written to this. Then I took a fucking forum to the knee. I'll paraphrase.

Someone last night was using caps excessively. "OMG OMG THE ADMIN JUST /KILLED ME. ABUSE. OMG." Anyone who was there, you know who and what I'm talking about. Because he was not technically "spamming" nothing was being done, and it just making the situation worse. It always makes a situation first [edit: worse. No forums after I wake up, bad idea]. People start fighting because [example]CAPS LOCKS LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE YELLING AT THE PERSON AND IT PISSES THEM OFF[/example]. It's what provoked me to start this.

Should be up to mod interpretation as other things are. A warning after one line of caps is silly...
Now, when I say control, I don't mean "any time people use caps, they automatically get muted" or anything to that effect.

I understand CJ now. Last night I was pissed off and tired; I shouldn't have been on the forums. MB. Sorry CJ. Your post still doesn't make any sense to me as far as relevance goes, but maybe I'm still just confused.

Offline Fuzzy_Yeti_69

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
  • The original Jedi Panda
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
I don't think it should be against the rules
I just think people should be warned about it, that they can and will get muted if they do it too much

Offline Runek

• Cheese
  • Where there's a Shadow, there's a Light.
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
What we really need is a 'don't disrupt the server' rule. That would encompass spam, excessive caps (Note the excessive), and calling Air's mother naughty names after he's politely asked you to stop.

I don't think anyone is looking for mute assault rifles being distributed - but if someone is being disruptively obnoxious (Ex. Aysun and her public demon worshipping), and are warned to stop/ease up but continue anyway.. they're going to get shot with a rubber mute bullet.

This is probably just a slightly better defined version of the old 'Douche' rule. Thoughts?

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
Should be up to mod interpretation as other things are. A warning after one line of caps is silly...

It already is, as other things are. Rune was concerned I wanted staff to ignore Caps even if it is leading to an actual disturbance of the server. I just want to damn clear that caps or no caps, mods can always moderate to diffuse potential conflict.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air