Poll

Can you raid unlocked chests in a village or not?

Yes
1 (7.1%)
No
4 (28.6%)
It depends on if it is in a house
1 (7.1%)
Depends on what is in the chest
0 (0%)
Other
2 (14.3%)
Not technically against rules, but still Douche
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Unlocked Chests In A Village  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Braingkk (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
Unlocked Chests In A Village
« on: 24 January 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
basic question: you live in a village, and there are unlocked chests, can you raid them?

does the chests location change the policy?

does the contents of the chest change the rule? (i.e. if it has several stacks of diamonds u cant touch it)

i recall some discussion in the past, and no real decision, so here it is, opinions and thought welcome, at least until the staff weigh in with a definitive answer

Kovos_Datch

Re: Unlocked Chests In A Village
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2013, 03:52:29 PM »
I personally think it's douchey to run around looting chests in a protected village.

Offline Runek

• Cheese
  • Where there's a Shadow, there's a Light.
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2013, 04:09:32 PM »
If it is within an in-use structure.. No touchy. It's just like breaking blocks on in-use structures - it's out of bounds.

That being said, always lockette your chests, furnaces, etc. I know it can be an eyesore sometimes, but it's worth avoiding the problem altogether.

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
If it is within an in-use structure.. No touchy. It's just like breaking blocks on in-use structures - it's out of bounds.

That being said, always lockette your chests, furnaces, etc. I know it can be an eyesore sometimes, but it's worth avoiding the problem altogether.

Actually...we had a problem with chests a while ago and I remember that if the chest is in the outlands and unlocked then it is fair game, even if the structure is in use. Not too sure about protected villages though.

Offline Runek

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2013, 04:39:26 PM »

Actually...we had a problem with chests a while ago and I remember that if the chest is in the outlands and unlocked then it is fair game, even if the structure is in use. Not too sure about protected villages though.

Really? I don't see much difference with breaking blocks and taking items, but listen to the Mexican. ;)

Offline Aysun

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2013, 04:46:46 PM »
My interpretation is that if the player has not been on in 2 months, and the chest isn't locked, go ahead. (use your logblock, that's what we give it to you for). If the player has been on, then the area is considered in use, and you should leave it alone or you're griefing. I may be wrong.

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
My interpretation is that if the player has not been on in 2 months, and the chest isn't locked, go ahead. (use your logblock, that's what we give it to you for). If the player has been on, then the area is considered in use, and you should leave it alone or you're griefing. I may be wrong.

If the player has not been on for 2 months, the owner of the village can ask us to break his chests. Unlocked chests in the outlands are fair game though.

Offline Aysun

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

If the player has not been on for 2 months, the owner of the village can ask us to break his chests. Unlocked chests in the outlands are fair game though.

Yea, I was talking about in the outlands. Since there are people who have houses and stuff out there that aren't able to get their things protected. I figured that's why we had the "in use" rule.

Offline Braingkk (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2013, 01:14:21 AM »
just for the fun of it, im gunna bring in some posts form a recent thread in the reports section.
http://www.villagecraft-server.com/forum/index.php?topic=1078.0

Quote from: JANUARYJONES
There isn't much left to do then.
While stealing wasn't a very nice thing to do, Jared should have been cautious with the locks.

Quote from: Kovos_Datch
Seems pretty straightforward then. Jared was lazy and didn't want to change the lock... therefore the responsibility is solely on Jared.

as seen in these quotes from the abovementioned thread, player Hobbes did not get punished for taking items from an unlocked chest. he might have been kicked from the village, but that has little to do with the actual server rules as much as village leaders deciding its not a good idea to have such a member around

can i assume based on this that a player breaks no server rules by raiding player chests even in a protected village?

Offline Braingkk (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2013, 01:46:06 AM »
on the other hand here is a post that seems to say im not allowed to enter other ppls houses w/o permission
http://www.villagecraft-server.com/forum/index.php?topic=1035.msg10683#msg10683
Quote from: Runek
Do not break into people's houses for any reason what-so-ever, even if you replace the blocks behind you.
does this only apply to breaking blocks? what if i use ender pearls to glitch in through doors or trap doors? what if the door is open? or does this only apply to snooping with intent to kill?

Offline Runek

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
Short answer is don't break blocks that don't belong to you, and lockette your chests.

If you see an in-use structure in the outlands, do not break blocks there. You all have /lb toolblock access, use it first. :)

If you see a unlocked chest in the outlands, have at it - it should have been locked.