Author Topic: fag, nigger  (Read 19260 times)

Offline mikebarfly (OP)

• New Villager
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
fag, nigger
« on: 18 February 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
I can't believe that Aysun told me that the word fag or faggot is allowed on this server. I had 2 players calling me a faggot nigger because I asked them not to use a those words. Is this really the policy? What about not being a douche? When players keep name calling and showing total disrespect, there should be an admin that steps up. Where does the Douche policy kick in?

Offline Fuzzy_Yeti_69

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
  • The original Jedi Panda
    • View profile
Re: fag, nigger
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
Don't like what people are saying?
Use /ignore.
It's that simple, I told you and Sax to do that, then you started insulting people's mothers.
So, if anything, you were being a douche.

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
THis server is free speech, howd you like it if you was told all the it what you can and can't say

Offline xxbabygirlstar

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • They say true love hurts, well this could kill me
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
I can't believe that Aysun told me that the word fag or faggot is allowed on this server. I had 2 players calling me a faggot nigger because I asked them not to use a those words. Is this really the policy? What about not being a douche? When players keep name calling and showing total disrespect, there should be an admin that steps up. Where does the Douche policy kick in?

Mike, darlin', this is the internet, and asking someone not to do something will just make them do it 10x more.
I totally agree with you; I politely ask people to stop throwing "rape" around like it's a joke.
But we don't limit speech unless it's directly flaming someone on an unnecessary level (an example being when CJ directly attacked me asking me if I knew how to lose weight), and often in a real-life manner. Calling you a faggot/n-word (I won't type it)/pussy is completely immoral, but apparently allowed because it's not a personal attack on you in a real life setting.

Sorry doll face. But Catty does have a point. If we start limiting what people say, where would it end?

Steam name: xxbabygirlstar
Skype name: xxbabygirlstar
Youtube channel: http://youtube.com/xxbabygirlstar
Battle.net: xxbabygirlstar@aim.com

Offline mikebarfly (OP)

• New Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
I guess it was wrong to assume that not being a douche included not using words that have such negative connotations attached to them. Especially when the player name calls you a nigger faggot, but even then it doesn't seem to matter. It becomes personal then, doesn't it? I guess we can say anything we want. So, I brought the players' mothers into it (I know, very mature). But, just because we can, should we? People use the internet, religion, the NRA, human rights, the bible and every other excuse to justify being rude or hurtful. It ends when paying members have had enough. The simple truth is that I am rethinking my membership here. It should be fun for all, not just for those that want to be assholes because they can get away with it. I made a simple request.  There is no real answer for "when is it enough." Everyone has different opinions as to what is offensive or to what extent. It would be nice for players to respect others' wishes. That seems fair.They can finally say and do whatever they want. Unfortunately, this is the type of environment where twelve year olds thrive. Way to go minecraft!!!

Finally, too bad because I didn't mute/ignore someone. Maybe I should call you are a douche for saying it, like somehow it solves the problem. It still persists, but the offender has free reign to continue when you ignore. I know I'm not the only player here. If I am odd man out, then so be it. People can disagree and that is fine. But you are wrong for calling me a douche because I don't agree with you. Freedom of speech is just that...the right to disagree. That is it's purpose. Name calling and putting people down was not it's intended purpose. Use your head.

Offline xxbabygirlstar

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
It ends when paying members have had enough.

As a fellow paying Gold VIP, I kind of found this comment a little... unnecessary. We donated to the server and got perks. We don't pay to play. Just because you paid doesn't mean that your opinions should matter over anyone else.
Plus dude, you were fighting with Sax. He's 11. I'm not saying it's an excuse to act childish and call names, but then you stooped to his level and brought his mom into it. I don't see how you have a right to say someone shouldn't say something and then stoop to the same level. That'd be like me being upset when people make rape jokes and then making them myself.

I don't want you to leave. You seem like a nice guy. But you have to take everything people say with a grain of salt (or more). /Ignore is your friend. If someone is terrorizing numerous members and directly attacking them, the staff may then have a place to step in, but honestly, generic name calling isn't any sort of personal offense and shouldn't be taken as such.

Offline Runek

• Cheese
  • Where there's a Shadow, there's a Light.
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2013, 08:12:09 PM »
Mike, I understand your point - I really do. And I agree with you.

However, that doesn't change the fact that this all could have been defused by using the /ignore command. We do not relentlessly police people on this server. This has it's ups and downs.

I am sorry that you were insulted. I am also sorry that you chose to insult in kind rather than type one simple command that would have solved the issue.

Fact of the matter is.. use /ignore - let the other person be an ass. YOU will be the better person for it.

Topic locked.
Topic unlocked; it's not a ban appeal so we figured it should still remain open for discussion.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2013, 08:35:12 PM by Akomine »

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2013, 08:15:29 PM »
If you're getting hurt by words then you need to get off the Internet.
Honestly.
If you're getting hurt by words in real life then you need to re-evaluate why you let yourself get so butthurt all the time.
Some people intend to use these words to hurt people, but really some people just say these things because they can.

Hell I am a lesbian and I could not give a single fuck about the word faggot.

Grow up, OP.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2013, 09:26:24 PM »
There is no real answer for "when is it enough." Everyone has different opinions as to what is offensive or to what extent.

Exactly. And I refuse to censor basic speech based on ANYONE's personal opinion, even my own.

You have every right to be offended, but your ideas on the extent of what should be allowed is just, like, your opinion, man. You can't expect us to censor in-game chat because you PERSONALLY don't like people saying words that you... don't like.

So that's the way it is and the way it is going to remain: VillageCraft has free and uncensored speech.
You can use the ignore command.
We are also reinstalling a chat plugin that will allow you to use (and leave) chat channels, which should help you in this kind of situation.

Lastly, in the rare case that there is an informed personal attack on another member, we have muted the person. We like free speech, but not bullying/harassment, whether online or offline. A "bad" word in a videogame is not harassment.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline knitefall

• Cheese
  • Fuck you, fuck you, your cool, fuck you, I am out!
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2013, 10:03:06 PM »

Offline mikebarfly (OP)

• New Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
Okay. I am totally cool with all responses. I don't totally agree, but that's what forums and debates are about. That being said, I will feel free to exercise my rights and to say anything at any time, without any regard for others and the comfort of knowing my owner and admins won't censor me. This is enlightening actually. I have the freedom to be a total jerk now. I am glad to see that nobody minds.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Oh, I would play, but the server is down again.  :(

Offline xxbabygirlstar

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • Youtubez!
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2013, 11:19:40 PM »
This is enlightening actually. I have the freedom to be a total jerk now. I am glad to see that nobody minds.

Not sure if being sincere, or just being a passive aggressive dick....

If you're appalled by the behavior, why join in with it? Be the bigger man.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2013, 11:29:14 PM »
I will feel free to exercise my rights and to say anything at any time, without any regard for others and the comfort of knowing my owner and admins won't censor me. This is enlightening actually. I have the freedom to be a total jerk now. I am glad to see that nobody minds.

PS even though I claim to be a father, don't mind if I stoop down to your level to insult your mother.
Really, how are you different from them? You seem to be the one setting a bad example for your child.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2013, 11:58:29 PM »
That being said, I will feel free to exercise my rights and to say anything at any time, without any regard for others and the comfort of knowing my owner and admins won't censor me. This is enlightening actually. I have the freedom to be a total jerk now. I am glad to see that nobody minds.

Oh, we all mind. We just won't censor you as server staff, because WE THINK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT.
We won't censor somebody who says the word "nigger", "faggot", "cunt", "fuck", "rape", "Air's mom's pussy" etc, because WE THINK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY THOSE WORDS, regardless of anybody who doesn't like them.

I'm sorry if some words have made you feel offended, but it doesn't mean you get to tell anybody that they are suddenly forbidden. I use those words sometimes, but I don't use them maliciously; and I certainly don't hate gay people, for example. I use those words for another reason, and I have the right to do it. I also think that everyone else who plays here has that same damn right.

It's interesting that upon learning that this server allows free speech... you decided to not be a nice person and share interesting (and perhaps controversial) ideas, but instead to BE A COMPLETE ASSHOLE.

Why do you want to be an asshole the second you learn you can? Take it down a notch, man.

PS: Is this your favourite song or something?

(Warning: song in that link has bad words that should probably have been censored.)

Offline mikebarfly (OP)

• New Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2013, 03:00:31 AM »
Akomine, you said about me...It's interesting that upon learning that this server allows free speech... you decided to not be a nice person and share interesting (and perhaps controversial) ideas, but instead to BE A COMPLETE ASSHOLE.

Wow Akomine!!! I think your definition of "free speech" is skewed a bit. Again, I didn't curse at you or say anything crappy. I was sarcastic. Yet, you said I am being a complete asshole. Where the fuck do you get off dude? There you go. Free speech at it's finest. You and this server are fucked up. Can I say that? At this point, thanks to you and the freindly staff, I strongly feel the need to state whatever I want to. IDK...icing on the cake. Lol.

Now, why do you want to be an asshole the second I learned I could be one? Wait, did I call you an asshole? It is perplexing to me that most of the people who have responded to this post have done so negatively. Maybe it indicates the lack of respect that people generally have for each other online. I'm not sure why, but it's disgusting, and really, I don't care for it...or for them. Those are their flaws. but, the owner and the staff are the ones that set the example. NOT GOOD!!!

Okay, all kidding aside. It didn't take long for me to lose respect for a bunch of you and I'm dismayed at how this conversation has gone. None of you know me and how much I help others, that I have adopted children, and something as simple as not eating meat based on the cruelty in which slaughterhouses operate. Does any of it matter? No, not at all to you guys. But, if you knew me, you would understand where I am coming from. Look at the original post. I asked a player not to use certain words. He used them repeatedly and called me those words. I found out later that he is an eleven year old kid. So be it. It strikes me as odd that it is okay for an eleven year old to be allowed to say those types of things to a forty year old man. People that allow those types of actions are BEING ASSHOLES! It WAS malicious at that point. It went beyond a word. So, let me make sure I understand this so called "freedom of speech" thing on this server. Generally speaking...I can call a player something disgusting, over and over in a spam message? That is allowed? If the other player asks me to stop, I can just continue to call them disgusting things? They can just ignore me. That is the solution? Where do you draw the line Ako? Surely you have principles that go beyond having the ability to say anything that is loosely termed "freedom of speech". To me, freedom of speech is when you are allowed to express what you are thinking while not insulting others. You can't stop everyone from saying everything that you don't want them to and that certain words will offend people differently. I clearly acknowledged that in an earlier post.

Okay, time for everyone to chime in and make me feel even better about things here. Lighten up guys. This started as a simple post about not understanding how a player could get away with what he did.

PS... I especially like the added pictures with the word faggot in it and being called a dick, an asshole, and whatever else. Thanks a lot guys! 

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2013, 03:57:19 AM »
Akomine, you said about me...It's interesting that upon learning that this server allows free speech... you decided to not be a nice person and share interesting (and perhaps controversial) ideas, but instead to BE A COMPLETE ASSHOLE.

Wow Akomine!!! I think your definition of "free speech" is skewed a bit. Again, I didn't curse at you or say anything crappy. I was sarcastic. Yet, you said I am being a complete asshole. Where the fuck do you get off dude? There you go. Free speech at it's finest. You and this server are fucked up. Can I say that? At this point, thanks to you and the freindly staff, I strongly feel the need to state whatever I want to. IDK...icing on the cake. Lol.

Now, why do you want to be an asshole the second I learned I could be one? Wait, did I call you an asshole? It is perplexing to me that most of the people who have responded to this post have done so negatively. Maybe it indicates the lack of respect that people generally have for each other online. I'm not sure why, but it's disgusting, and really, I don't care for it...or for them. Those are their flaws. but, the owner and the staff are the ones that set the example. NOT GOOD!!!

Okay, all kidding aside. It didn't take long for me to lose respect for a bunch of you and I'm dismayed at how this conversation has gone. None of you know me and how much I help others, that I have adopted children, and something as simple as not eating meat based on the cruelty in which slaughterhouses operate. Does any of it matter? No, not at all to you guys. But, if you knew me, you would understand where I am coming from. Look at the original post. I asked a player not to use certain words. He used them repeatedly and called me those words. I found out later that he is an eleven year old kid. So be it. It strikes me as odd that it is okay for an eleven year old to be allowed to say those types of things to a forty year old man. People that allow those types of actions are BEING ASSHOLES! It WAS malicious at that point. It went beyond a word. So, let me make sure I understand this so called "freedom of speech" thing on this server. Generally speaking...I can call a player something disgusting, over and over in a spam message? That is allowed? If the other player asks me to stop, I can just continue to call them disgusting things? They can just ignore me. That is the solution? Where do you draw the line Ako? Surely you have principles that go beyond having the ability to say anything that is loosely termed "freedom of speech". To me, freedom of speech is when you are allowed to express what you are thinking while not insulting others. You can't stop everyone from saying everything that you don't want them to and that certain words will offend people differently. I clearly acknowledged that in an earlier post.

Okay, time for everyone to chime in and make me feel even better about things here. Lighten up guys. This started as a simple post about not understanding how a player could get away with what he did.

PS... I especially like the added pictures with the word faggot in it and being called a dick, an asshole, and whatever else. Thanks a lot guys!

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2013, 04:00:33 AM »

"It strikes me as odd that it is okay for an eleven year old to be allowed to say those types of things to a forty year old man. People that allow those types of actions are BEING ASSHOLES!"
It's not our responsibility to discipline other people's children.

And I'm sorry that you aren't strong enough to be able to handle being called names.
It strikes me as odd that it is okay for a forty year old man to be allowed to throw this huge of a fit over an eleven year old calling him a faggot.
Haha. Come on now.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2013, 04:36:52 AM »

Man, read my post. YOU were the one who decided you were going to act like an asshole upon hearing about our non-censorship. I was just commenting on that.
(I wasn't actually calling you an asshole.)

It is not my responsibility to sit on VillageCraft 24/7 just to parent kids. Those parents should censor/restrict their internet/computer programs or time if they think there is a problem. I don't decide that.

Wow Akomine!!! I think your definition of "free speech" is skewed a bit.
It is? I understand some people don't like the idea of free speech, but it is what it is. I think it's you who doesn't like it, man. I think in any interpretation of "free speech" that bad words are obviously included. This has nothing to do with whether or not I think kids should be saying them, by the way.

None of you know me and how much I help others, that I have adopted children, and something as simple as not eating meat based on the cruelty in which slaughterhouses operate. Does any of it matter? No, not at all to you guys.
Nobody has accused you of not helping others or being a good person, sir.
I also have no idea why you say this "doesn't matter to you guys", because it is false and random. I applaude you for adopting kids, for whatever it's worth, though irrelevant.

So, let me make sure I understand this so called "freedom of speech" thing on this server. Generally speaking...I can call a player something disgusting, over and over in a spam message? That is allowed?
NO. This is not allowed. I already said that we don't allow for harassment or bullying. Spamming, naturally, is not allowed because it is a related form of harassment.

You have every right, and are allowed to request that someone stop using a word. They have an equal right to ignore your request.

Again, mike, I didn't intend to call you an asshole. In fact, I might even agree with you about young people using certain words, but I refuse to enforce the censorship of any one OPINION.

So, use the chat channels when we install them. Use /ignore, use whatever. Maybe set the game font to small and just chill out to some music while you play, I don't know. But I won't enact a censorship scheme just because you personally don't like certain words being used.

PS: Is air's picture he just posted inappropriate or immoral?

Offline Aysun

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2013, 07:26:18 AM »
My view is quite simple: If you act maliciously to someone, they will respond in kind if they are that low. You and sax had a disagreement. You insulted his mother, he called you names. As I said in the chat, as far as I was concerned you were BOTH being buttheads. I don't like those words, even when used jokingly, but I'm not going to mute people for saying them.

We don't censor language. Period. However, if someone is maliciously being HATEFUL using those words (rather than just being a dick), I would have stepped in. There were no VC hate crimes/harassment/bullying going on, just a kid retaliating at you by using bad words. /ignore would solve it easily.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2013, 07:34:14 AM »

"All their souls? A thousand souls to burn. Look into my eyes. Your souls are stained with the blood of the innocent. Feel their pain."

Offline Runek

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
Topic locked.
Topic unlocked; it's not a ban appeal so we figured it should still remain open for discussion.

(Edited by Akomine to make your picture work)

Thank you Ako. Fucking firewall at work. -.-
« Last Edit: 19 February 2013, 07:02:47 PM by Runek »

Offline Aysun

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
This is unlocked again. What exactly is left to discuss? The rules are clear. We don't censor language, use the ignore function if you find it offensive, but don't tolerate hate/flaming.

As far as I'm concerned we can lock this for the sake of avoiding any more mud-slinging and random gifs.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2013, 12:36:38 PM »
This is unlocked again. What exactly is left to discuss? The rules are clear. We don't censor language, use the ignore function if you find it offensive, but don't tolerate hate/flaming.

As far as I'm concerned we can lock this for the sake of avoiding any more mud-slinging and random gifs.

General discussion topics shall not be locked!

Offline Runek

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 February 2013, 12:39:28 PM »

Technically it's a report and/or grievance (on the wrong board), but if you guys want to have pissing contests, go right ahead. ::)

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 February 2013, 12:47:48 PM »

Technically it's a report and/or grievance (on the wrong board), but if you guys want to have pissing contests, go right ahead. ::)

Offline Runek

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 February 2013, 01:02:01 PM »

At least give me a mountie hat and give yourself a sombrero.

..And stick a train in there crashing into something. Come on man, this is for ART!

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 February 2013, 01:17:24 PM »

At least give me a mountie hat and give yourself a sombrero.

..And stick a train in there crashing into something. Come on man, this is for ART!

Offline Runek

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
YOU HAD ONE JOB

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 February 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
YOU HAD ONE JOB

DO YOU LIKE YOUR OLD LADY HAT?! BITCH!

Offline Runek

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 February 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
YOU HAD ONE JOB

DO YOU LIKE YOUR OLD LADY HAT?! BITCH!

I DO. THANK YOU.

YOU FORGOT THE TRAIN.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?