Author Topic: Windows flaws... Anyone know how to fix?  (Read 6875 times)

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
Windows flaws... Anyone know how to fix?
« on: 15 July 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
I'm sure some of you have noticed that recently I have been leaving and joining the server lots, often without saying goodbye. I am not being rude, and it is not my fault. Please forgive me  :-[

I a, running Windows 7, as it came preinstalled on my laptop, mad according to the task bar I have a Internet connection of "Fair" but every so often all program's just stop connecting. Skype, Minecraft, Safari, Dropbox, they all act as if I have lost my Internet connection when it remains fine, ad there is no interruption of my connection.

This may be to do with my terrible Internet provider, of whom I will mention no names Virgin Media providing the "UK's Top Broadband Speeds" of around 5mbs. I would upgrade but as I'm sure some of you are aware, the Internet in England is very slow, and very expensive.

I am getting really annoyed now about this constant fake-disconnection, and it has weakened my already slim support for Windows. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, or has a suggestion as to what I could try, please let me know! Before anyone asks,  I have changed no hardware/software on my laptop recently network wise.

Also, I claim it is a windows flaw as my iPad which I am typing the from has no problems retaining its connection. Please do not make this into a Mac vs Windows thread, there is enough of them. People have opinions on software, so respect that :P please try to keep post relevant!

Luis :D

Offline lishman77

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • reet
    • View profile
Re: Windows flaws... Anyone know how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
 this happens to me often but not all the time. For some reason it decides to work fine for a week then start doing that, i have yet to find why dis happens... Although for me it mostly does it with steam where i can play a youtube vid and stuff but i cant go online on steam or load servers or whatever on steam games like chivalry medievil warfare nd shit.
sound as a pound
Lish is god
Thanks Lish, appreciate it.

Did you want me to brush my teeth before the penis sucking or...?

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
I'm sure some of you have noticed that recently I have been leaving and joining the server lots, often without saying goodbye. I am not being rude, and it is not my fault. Please forgive me  :-[
Dick.
I a, running Windows 7, as it came preinstalled on my laptop, mad according to the task bar I have a Internet connection of "Fair" but every so often all program's just stop connecting. Skype, Minecraft, Safari, Dropbox, they all act as if I have lost my Internet connection when it remains fine, ad there is no interruption of my connection.

This may be to do with my terrible Internet provider, of whom I will mention no names Virgin Media providing the "UK's Top Broadband Speeds" of around 5mbs. I would upgrade but as I'm sure some of you are aware, the Internet in England is very slow, and very expensive.

I am getting really annoyed now about this constant fake-disconnection, and it has weakened my already slim support for Windows. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, or has a suggestion as to what I could try, please let me know! Before anyone asks,  I have changed no hardware/software on my laptop recently network wise.

Also, I claim it is a windows flaw as my iPad which I am typing the from has no problems retaining its connection. Please do not make this into a Mac vs Windows thread, there is enough of them. People have opinions on software, so respect that :P please try to keep post relevant!

Luis :D

This crap used to happen to me constantly and I eventually learned it was actually my shitty anti-virus program (PCTools).
I'd be very surprised if this actually has anything even remotely to do with Windows itself. This is likely a software problem, you just need to pinpoint what exactly it is.

Which anti-virus software do you have installed?

Also, there are a few computer support sites I've tried that are very helpful, like BleepingComputer. You can create a topic with as much detail as you can and they will help you through your specific problem.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
I'm sorry Ako :(

Thanks for the help though! I have the built in Windows Firewall, which has suddenly decided to work after 3 years, and Virgin Media Internet Security, which from what I can tell does absolutely nothing... What anti-virus do you recommend?

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2013, 07:40:19 PM »
This used to happen to me whenever I played Minecraft (during alpha). Like 20 mins after connecting to a server, my whole connection would randomly drop. When I upgraded my hard drive I reinstalled windows and the problem went away so it was probably a software issue.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
I'm sorry Ako :(

Thanks for the help though! I have the built in Windows Firewall, which has suddenly decided to work after 3 years, and Virgin Media Internet Security, which from what I can tell does absolutely nothing... What anti-virus do you recommend?

If that Virgin security thing is anything like Rogers Internet Security (Rogers is a Canadian internet provider), because it might not be a full virus protector. The Rogers one apparently waits for another program to detect a virus and then it claims it did it (which is... fraud?).

Completely remove that Virgin shit, we want a real whore (and you can't mix 2 anti-virus programs or they might conflict). I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). It is free, but gives the protection that a lot of anti-virus companies want you to pay for, which is cool. It is also light, even when scanning, and won't lag your computer or interfere with your internet.

Witchdoctor1

« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
Same thing happened to me for a bit. I had to remove all .minecraft files and reinstall the launcher. Do a windows search in your C drive to find them. They are in like C/user/temp/roaming/.minecraft or some convoluted shit like that.

Offline PengBunny

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 11
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2013, 11:29:43 PM »
Same thing happened to me for a bit. I had to remove all .minecraft files and reinstall the launcher. Do a windows search in your C drive to find them. They are in like C/user/temp/roaming/.minecraft or some convoluted shit like that.

C:/AppData/roaming/.minecraft

You can get to appdata by going to "Run" and putting in "%appdata%"
Then you will see a folder named ".minecraft" go inside of the folder, then go to "Bin"
Click the "minecraft.jar" then delete it.
When you relaunch the game it will give you a brand new .jar
You know a thread is really bad when PengBunny posts on it.

My daddy is Air

air when the fuck did you do this ^^^

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2013, 01:39:47 AM »
Lol he knows how to delete his MC files. He makes Minecraft mods, you fools.

Offline PengBunny

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 11
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2013, 02:11:59 AM »
Ok, I'm just clarifying what Witch said.
You know a thread is really bad when PengBunny posts on it.

My daddy is Air

air when the fuck did you do this ^^^

Offline hobbes13

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 2
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2013, 10:11:14 AM »
The old launcher is doing horrible 4 me so im like luisc

Offline ThePandaWonder

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -1
  • 9/11
    • View profile
    • Fuck yeah its Cheese!
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
Just try to rub some Cheese on dat Computer! Cheese fixes everything!

(An Absolute Horrible and Useless Tip, Don't try this at home)

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2013, 02:11:58 AM »
Lol he knows how to delete his MC files. He makes Minecraft mods, you fools.

Meh, I do but it is not going very well at the moment :(

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
Ok, from what I can tell I have fixed the issue. For those wondering, it was a Trojan that disabled your network adapter when the Internet was being used. After running a virus scan for 21hours 54mins, it deleted 5 viruses which seem to have fixed the problem...

Luis is back in town!

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
Nice, fucking Trojans. Use Durex.

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2013, 03:32:42 PM »
As a message to other staff, this started happening ever since the mischievous incident. Do you think that could be how I got the Trojan, or is it just a coincidence. Either way, has it happened to anyone else?

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
As a message to other staff, this started happening ever since the mischievous incident. Do you think that could be how I got the Trojan, or is it just a coincidence. Either way, has it happened to anyone else?

Not I, said the Ako

Joshtimasprime

« Reply #17 on: 22 July 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
I suggest deleting system3- *Gets shot in the head by ako with a sniper riffle*

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 July 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
I suggest deleting system3- *Gets shot in the head by ako with a sniper riffle*

Oh believe me, one day I will. And it will be best decision I will make...