Author Topic: Help with bukkit server  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Buildbecky (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
  • It's that Becky the Builder.
    • View profile
    • My blog
Help with bukkit server
« on: 20 September 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
So I want to set up a bukkit server, but there are things stopping me:
1) I don't have a proper computer and can set it up on, only a laptop (will it still work? Cos this really random link says it wont: http://m.wikihow.com/Run-a-Successful-Minecraft-Server)
2) I don't understand downloading plugins, and updating it and stuff
3) YouTube is being useless for me
4) I need staff
5) I don't want it to be hacked if it will break my computer
6) I didnt know it was this complicated
7) I would like build a computer for it, with dedicated ram space and stuff, but I don't know how
8) I dont know how to set up donations
9) that link makes it look so complicated

So, where do I start? Google is useless so I thought if I asked here there might be some more help
Thanks
it's a running joke where i say things about luis that are untrue and they are actually true and i didnt know about them
I dunno what I'm talking about most of the time so don't listen to meh.

Offline PengBunny

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 11
    • View profile
Re: Help with bukkit server
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2013, 05:59:47 PM »
Uh..
How big is the server going to be?
You know a thread is really bad when PengBunny posts on it.

My daddy is Air

air when the fuck did you do this ^^^

Offline Buildbecky (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2013, 06:06:36 PM »
Uh..
How big is the server going to be?

Not too big, but idk, I wanna find out actually HOW to make one first
it's a running joke where i say things about luis that are untrue and they are actually true and i didnt know about them

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
1) Yes, just not as well
2) Just put the plugin.jar into the /plugins folder created when you run the server.
3) It's always useless
4) See if anyone will volunteer.
5) Get a firewall Or a mac
6) Java is complex, so is Bukkit.
7) You're better off getting an online host instead of this. They already have the computers built.
8) Cool icon! Just set up a paypal account with a chip in wigit. Look this up separately.
9) Ignore it ;)

Overall though, I'd refer you to an online host as I said in point 7. They handle most of the back end stuff for you, and are very user configurable. On VC we use theminecrafthost but Chaos uses beastnode, which is also very good. There are plenty out there to choose from, just look around! Let me know if you have any more questions though...

Offline Buildbecky (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
Oh and btw, it can NEVER be as good as VC, VC is the best server EVAR

Offline Buildbecky (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2013, 06:09:54 PM »
1) Yes, just not as well
2) Just put the plugin.jar into the /plugins folder created when you run the server.
3) It's always useless
4) See if anyone will volunteer.
5) Get a firewall Or a mac
6) Java is complex, so is Bukkit.
7) You're better off getting an online host instead of this. They already have the computers built.
8) Cool icon! Just set up a paypal account with a chip in wigit. Look this up separately.
9) Ignore it ;)

Overall though, I'd refer you to an online host as I said in point 7. They handle most of the back end stuff for you, and are very user configurable. On VC we use theminecrafthost but Chaos uses beastnode, which is also very good. There are plenty out there to choose from, just look around! Let me know if you have any more questions though...

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOO (etc.) much Luis! :D

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2013, 06:15:37 PM »
Definitely use a host. The minecrafthost offers pretty neat prices.

Offline ThePandaWonder

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -1
  • 9/11
    • View profile
    • Fuck yeah its Cheese!
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
Definitely use a host. The minecrafthost offers pretty neat prices.

HostHorde offers better prices but they can be hacked easily. I heard if your server gets DDOSed you would prob need a new server. I am setting up a server on it, just as a start, if it goes well and stable I would probably get a different host. A host that gives servers that can withstand a DDOS

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
Hosts suck. I host my own server, and it works great. I don't have to pay anything for the server.

Also, if you are setting up a server, it can be really easy, or you might have to go to hell and back to get it set up. Since you are just beginning, these tips probably won't help much yet, just remember them in the future:
1: When the server is new, do not advertise "New server looking for staff!" If you do that, players will join, ask for op, and leave if they can't get op for nothing.
2: Get an IP hostname, so the IP isn't just random numbers.
3: Make the website with Enjin. It is really easy, powerful, and supports Minecraft server websites.
I guess that's all the help I can give you, and also, if you ever want custom plugins made ask me. :D

And one more thing... Did you download the server from minecraft.net? If so, plugins won't work. You need to make a bukkit server.

Screw that, the brand on your ass takes priority since it has a physical manifestation. You belong to me, mother trucker.
Freelix is awesome.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
Hosts suck. I host my own server, and it works great. I don't have to pay anything for the server.

Also, if you are setting up a server, it can be really easy, or you might have to go to hell and back to get it set up. Since you are just beginning, these tips probably won't help much yet, just remember them in the future:
1: When the server is new, do not advertise "New server looking for staff!" If you do that, players will join, ask for op, and leave if they can't get op for nothing.
2: Get an IP hostname, so the IP isn't just random numbers.
3: Make the website with Enjin. It is really easy, powerful, and supports Minecraft server websites.
I guess that's all the help I can give you, and also, if you ever want custom plugins made ask me. :D

And one more thing... Did you download the server from minecraft.net? If so, plugins won't work. You need to make a bukkit server.
If you are planning to make a 24/7 server like VC, hosts definitely do not suck.

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2013, 05:30:14 AM »
So I want to set up a bukkit server, but there are things stopping me:
1) I don't have a proper computer and can set it up on, only a laptop (will it still work? Cos this really random link says it wont: http://m.wikihow.com/Run-a-Successful-Minecraft-Server)
2) I don't understand downloading plugins, and updating it and stuff
3) YouTube is being useless for me
4) I need staff
5) I don't want it to be hacked if it will break my computer
6) I didnt know it was this complicated
7) I would like build a computer for it, with dedicated ram space and stuff, but I don't know how
8) I dont know how to set up donations
9) that link makes it look so complicated

So, where do I start? Google is useless so I thought if I asked here there might be some more help
Thanks

1) If you run it on a laptop it will be way to laggy and the same with your computer. and you may only have 2 to 3 players.
2) Download the plugin.jar and drag it into the Plugins Folder
3) Youtube isn't good at helping.
4) Many people can help. But much more will destroy.
5) If you run it on your computer you can get hacked easily.
6) It is quite hard unless you have been doing it for like ages.
7) Get a VPS or use a host.
8) Not simple. your probably to younge.
9) It is complicated.
10) You have to rent a server to get a good one.
11) If your setting it up yourself on your computer you will need to forward your port.
12) It takes a lot of time and if you can't get someone who does this all the time to help and make your sever with you 24/7. You will go nowhere.