Author Topic: why do you cheat?  (Read 11896 times)

Offline DarkenedAngel (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
why do you cheat?
« on: 13 July 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
After being mod for some time now and seeing all the ppl asking to be unbanned and wut not I can't help but wonder why cheat in the first place? If you get caught you look bad and if serious enough you can't play anymore... It isn't like this game is hard... Or that there is even really a point to it... Just curious.

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Re: why do you cheat?
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2012, 07:10:43 PM »
To get an unfair advantage over the other players? lol

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
Advantage for wut? There isn't really a point... Im not talking about PvP hax or something.. I am talking about xray and stuff.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
xray>diamonds>armor>kill people in pvp

or xray to get diamonds because they are to lazy to do it the right way.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2012, 11:31:34 PM »
I don't really get it either. I find cheating makes games feel pointless and boring.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
was hoping to get some replies from the ppl caught cheating on our server...

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2012, 01:20:44 AM »
It's not like we don't all know who they are... we can all look you up!

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline boylink

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
I don't really get it either. I find cheating makes games feel pointless and boring.
I agree.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
All the mods and admins that posted need to hide so that the ppl that cheated feel safe posting >.>

Offline Islid

• Cheese
  • Time Traveller Extraordinare
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
Well, I know that from my experiences dealing with cheaters on other servers from an administrative point of view, the excuse that I got from most people that did it was that they just wanted to expedite the process of getting materials for building. It is admittedly tedious to make a mine, go searching for an extended period of time, and not actually know if you're really going to find anything worthwhile throughout the entire search. You could find a cave laden with minerals, or you could get unlucky and not find a damn thing for an hour and a half. Both situations have happened to me.

I have always been a proponent of building over collecting. Minecraft to me, personally, is not about breaking stone rocks for hours on end to find some gold to make a few powered tracks, it's about building a massive, complex structure with powered tracks that you can label as a roller coaster and show off to other people. In the end, what I have seen is that people care a hell of a lot less about where the crap to make a building came from and a whole lot more about whether or not it's impressively large/complex and/or useful. People that do those kinds of things, I find, are usually just interested in skipping all of the really boring bits, such as spending hours at a time in a mine searching for diamonds and gold to sell to get the money for materials for building (because the mining of materials, without an x-ray pack, by far takes the longest time out of any step in the process), and they just want to get to the point where they can show off their building talents without having to worry about running out of funding.

This is the main reason I can see for supporting it's use, and I can definitely see the merits, although I also understand the drawbacks of being able to get ahead of other players quickly (a remedy for which would easily be just allowing all players to use them, as some servers do, although that is a bit of a tangent). It is often the will of the owners, in the end, that gets imprinted upon the server's policies, though, and it's nearly impossible to convince them otherwise to change their own personal convictions. It's how each server gets it's uniqueness, though, so it really comes down to a tradeoff of "am I going to give up a personal belief in order to give the players something else to use, or am I going to hold my own and keep the server how I personally like it?"

Each choice has it's merits and it's disadvantages. Who's to say what the right one is?

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2012, 07:05:44 PM »
This is a survival server >.>... That is the main reason I even looked at it when looking for a server... Second was that there was PvP but it was not the focus. That being said if all you care about is building and showing off your stuff go find a creative server. This is survival you have to earn the things to get and the things you build are that much better because of it. I did not buy all my nether brick and obsidian, I went out and farmed it all.

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2012, 08:13:53 PM »
This is a survival server >.>... That is the main reason I even looked at it when looking for a server... Second was that there was PvP but it was not the focus. That being said if all you care about is building and showing off your stuff go find a creative server. This is survival you have to earn the things to get and the things you build are that much better because of it. I did not buy all my nether brick and obsidian, I went out and farmed it all.

I'm not saying it works for every server, Dark, I'm saying it is just an option. I don't expect anyone to change anything, nor do I particularly think there's anything wrong with the current system. It was just an alternative opinion, lol.

Offline Lycoris

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Artificially Intelligent Data Anomaly
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2012, 08:54:49 PM »
Is this limited to minecraft only?

I see no point to cheat on this specific type of server.
You can buy anything you want. Plus The only thing you get out of cheating is a higher balance (And or ban). But getting a high balance is easy to do without the use of cheats or mods.
So Really, I see no point to cheat.

On the other hand, I play Xbox CoD:WaW
I'll cheat on that. Not for an upper hand or advantage. Just to have fun.
Like the Rainbow name or having default weapon (Your hand that fires bullets, Does almost no damage)
That stuff I only used cause they were funny and, honestly, If I got killed from a guy just using his hand on that game. I would laugh so hard.

Other then that. Hacking and cheating totally annoyed me.
Examples: Wall hacks, God mode, Flying, Inf. ammo, Insta kill, Ect.
Super annoying, and it takes no skill to get kills.

TL;DR: I only enjoy minor cheats that have no effect to game play. Cheats are pointless on minecraft.

Swatted away by the world, I was atop an incredibly thin needle.
I was using the tips of my fingers to balance,
But it wasn’t until they touched you that I learned I wasn’t alone;
That alone bestowed upon me these crooked wings.
“What do you want to accomplish between life and death,” I asked,
But all you did was laugh, like an angel.
Weaving through the spaces of the hordes of buildings burning in the summer heat,
We’ll eventually descend, pulling that trigger at the very end.
And winter will cover everything.

Offline tr0ll_

• Cheese
  • Banned again.
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2012, 09:44:57 PM »
It's fun to see the reactions of people after I use my critical and forcefield mods.

"WTF YOU WERE CRAFTING"
"DUDE HOW DID U KILL ALL 3 OF US AT ONCE"
"Wtf hacker, you were a block below me...."

And those are only a few out of my word doc of reactions. But yeah, on most servers it's fun. Unfortunately, I hold a tiny amount of authority on this server and doing that would tarnish it. So you guys are safe.

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2012, 09:46:35 PM »
Is this limited to minecraft only?

I see no point to cheat on this specific type of server.
You can buy anything you want. Plus The only thing you get out of cheating is a higher balance (And or ban). But getting a high balance is easy to do without the use of cheats or mods.
So Really, I see no point to cheat.

On the other hand, I play Xbox CoD:WaW
I'll cheat on that. Not for an upper hand or advantage. Just to have fun.
Like the Rainbow name or having default weapon (Your hand that fires bullets, Does almost no damage)
That stuff I only used cause they were funny and, honestly, If I got killed from a guy just using his hand on that game. I would laugh so hard.

Other then that. Hacking and cheating totally annoyed me.
Examples: Wall hacks, God mode, Flying, Inf. ammo, Insta kill, Ect.
Super annoying, and it takes no skill to get kills.

TL;DR: I only enjoy minor cheats that have no effect to game play. Cheats are pointless on minecraft.

I think there's a lack of consensus on what a "cheat" is on Minecraft. Some people think it's giving unlimited items to people, some people think it's just x-raying, some people think it's flying or faster running, etc. There are people who see cheats as tools and some people who see tools as cheats. To presume we would all know what the word "cheat" entails is as silly as saying that we all know exactly what the word "god" encompasses, pardon the religious reference.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
Anything that changes the game to the point you have an unfair advantage pretty much is a cheat to me. There are a couple mods out there that could fit this but i don't see as a cheat like a mini map mod... I'm just to lazy to get one and don't feel i really need it.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2012, 09:51:47 PM »
It's fun to see the reactions of people after I use my critical and forcefield mods.

"WTF YOU WERE CRAFTING"
"DUDE HOW DID U KILL ALL 3 OF US AT ONCE"
"Wtf hacker, you were a block below me...."

And those are only a few out of my word doc of reactions. But yeah, on most servers it's fun. Unfortunately, I hold a tiny amount of authority on this server and doing that would tarnish it. So you guys are safe.

We are safe? We already banned you once and next time there is no appeal.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2012, 09:52:08 PM »

Damn, chill.

Offline tr0ll_

• Cheese
  • Banned again.
    • View profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2012, 09:52:47 PM »

We are safe? We already banned you once and next time there is no appeal.

...okay, maybe THAT'S the reason you're safe.

Offline Kyro

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
It really comes down to how the server defines cheating and we've defined certain mods as cheating because they not only give an unfair advantage but usually also undermine or harm other player's playing experiences. It's semantics - and to Islid's God comparison, this is different because we are the Gods ;)

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
It really comes down to how the server defines cheating and we've defined certain mods as cheating because they not only give an unfair advantage but usually also undermine or harm other player's playing experiences. It's semantics - and to Islid's God comparison, this is different because we are the Gods ;)

Like I said, the server is shaped by it's owners' preference for gameplay. That is why certain people gravitate towards certain servers - you play what the owners want you to play, so you just find an owner that wants to play the same way as you. 'Tis the beauty of choice.

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 July 2012, 11:07:58 PM »

Damn, chill.
Lol i don't know why everyone has a problem with his post... im not angry or anything... just trying to say how i feel about it lol... Sorry

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 July 2012, 11:59:55 PM »

Damn, chill.
Lol i don't know why everyone has a problem with his post... im not angry or anything... just trying to say how i feel about it lol... Sorry

For reference, the part that really stuck out to me was the "If you don't like it, go to another server, damn it" sort of feeling I got from it. Namely from this bit:

Quote from: DarkenedAngel
That being said if all you care about is building and showing off your stuff go find a creative server.

If you were interested. :P

Offline Bl4ck_St0ne

• I NEED MORE JLAW FACIALS PLS
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
  • I like cheesy bread.
    • View profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 July 2012, 12:30:49 AM »
I have X-rayed on a server I disliked, and knew was horrible with security and I knew I wouldn't get caught. But if you like Villagecraft and wan't to play on it... why cheat? Also I have dealt with cheaters that have a excuse saying "Please don't ban me, I love this server it's so cool"!

... If you think it's so cool don't cheat..

Also villagecraft, I wouldn't try cheating... phenominal security
The Fappening will continue... FOREVER ON JLAW NUDES... FOREVER ON!

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 July 2012, 12:36:46 AM »

Damn, chill.

For reference, the part that really stuck out to me was the "If you don't like it, go to another server, damn it" sort of feeling I got from it. Namely from this bit:

Quote from: DarkenedAngel
That being said if all you care about is building and showing off your stuff go find a creative server.

If you were interested. :P
Lol sorry didnt mean for it to sound like that...

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 July 2012, 01:14:50 AM »
I have X-rayed on a server I disliked, and knew was horrible with security and I knew I wouldn't get caught. But if you like Villagecraft and wan't to play on it... why cheat? Also I have dealt with cheaters that have a excuse saying "Please don't ban me, I love this server it's so cool"!

... If you think it's so cool don't cheat..

Thanks to yours truly :) Well not so much...ok kinda  8)

Offline Lycoris

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Artificially Intelligent Data Anomaly
    • View profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 July 2012, 04:22:27 AM »
It's so good that, even if you are given the /fly command from a Mod, It will pull you down.

Known from experience.

Swatted away by the world, I was atop an incredibly thin needle.
I was using the tips of my fingers to balance,
But it wasn’t until they touched you that I learned I wasn’t alone;
That alone bestowed upon me these crooked wings.
“What do you want to accomplish between life and death,” I asked,
But all you did was laugh, like an angel.
Weaving through the spaces of the hordes of buildings burning in the summer heat,
We’ll eventually descend, pulling that trigger at the very end.
And winter will cover everything.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 July 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
Put it this way. When I am on I see you all.

Offline boylink

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2012, 09:20:40 PM »
O.O

Offline Islid

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 July 2012, 09:36:21 PM »

Uh...

Offline Rainy_Turtloid

• Cheese
  • Turtles are incredible
    • View profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 July 2012, 11:59:15 AM »

um...

o.o

-------------------

Btw I once  cheated, Using an xray texturepack but I only did because I was pissed at Dig and I seriously wanted to gear up and kill him.