Author Topic: Stars!  (Read 4991 times)

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
Stars!
« on: 2 February 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
As a few of you who know me may or may not know, I am quite interested in space and astronomy and such. Space and the amazing things in the universe have always interested me, with their colours, complexity and amazing discoveries of how the universe works.

Today was obviously the end of the world as a very rare occasion occurred; there was about 10 mins or so where it wasn't cloudy, which is like some sort of sign for the apocalypse in the UK as it never happens. Using a very useful app, I was able to discover the moon and its craters, Jupiter and another star which I can't remember the name to.

As we all live in different, less cloudy places in the world, have any of you guys ever looked up at the sky, through a telescope, binoculars or nothing, and seen anything interesting? If so, did anyone take any pictures?

Also you Southern Hemisphere guys, how does your night sky look, as it'll probably be very different to what some of us will see. Any really northern people seen the northern lights? If so, got pics to share?

Let's try and make this into a really cool thread!
Luis :D

For some reason every time I leave to come and write this, the cloud goes away and I can see again.

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • ckiens
    • View profile
Re: Stars!
« Reply #1 on: 2 February 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
As a few of you who know me may or may not know, I am quite interested in space and astronomy and such. Space and the amazing things in the universe have always interested me, with their colours, complexity and amazing discoveries of how the universe works.

Today was obviously the end of the world as a very rare occasion occurred; there was about 10 mins or so where it wasn't cloudy, which is like some sort of sign for the apocalypse in the UK as it never happens. Using a very useful app, I was able to discover the moon and its craters, Jupiter and another star which I can't remember the name to.

As we all live in different, less cloudy places in the world, have any of you guys ever looked up at the sky, through a telescope, binoculars or nothing, and seen anything interesting? If so, did anyone take any pictures?

Also you Southern Hemisphere guys, how does your night sky look, as it'll probably be very different to what some of us will see. Any really northern people seen the northern lights? If so, got pics to share?

Let's try and make this into a really cool thread!
Luis :D

For some reason every time I leave to come and write this, the cloud goes away and I can see again.

Theirs is upside down, Luis.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 2 February 2014, 02:21:31 PM »
I can't see the stars at all from Mexico City. It's always too cloudy, which is a shame because I want to buy a telescope that attaches to my DSLR camera but I can't see the stars :(.  I used to live in another state in Mexico and I loved staring at the stars while drunk, lul.

The universe has always puzzled me, it's so fucking vast, imagine all the shit out there we will never get to see. My mind always ends up fucked when I ponder about the universe, god dammit. This is also one of the reasons I am an atheist, how can someone believe in the Bible/Quran or any gay ass holy book, with all that fucking universe out there. I will post some cool universe shit when I'm home.

This sums it up, it's an awesome post with a bit of religious "logic" :D Good thing Star and Kovos are gone or they would bitch at me for mocking their beliefs Huehuehue

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 2 February 2014, 02:46:29 PM »
lol

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 2 February 2014, 03:02:25 PM »
lol
Your comments are so gay they make me wanna wear a speedo and grow a mustache.

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 2 February 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
Chaos, they'd see totally different stars. Like the north star, it'd be impossible to see from below the equator.

Air, your picture describes it perfectly. So much we'll never see, and so much to discover. One day though, one day we'll be out looking out at the Earth...

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 2 February 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
Living in Canadia (spelling?), the stars and moon (and a few of the planets) are more often the dominating feature of the night sky. Usually not clouds.
I often go out and look. I do not often, though, take pictures, though I might have a few somewhere. I'll try to find some.

I haven't seen the northern lights because the massive trees around my house block the northern horizon, and because I'm just a bit too south in Ontario for them to be common. But I do really, really want to see them. Go a bit north in Canadia and I've heard they become an almost nightly spectacle.

On a related note, they finally released the on-suit footage of Felix Baumgartner's "Redbull Stratos" jump:

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 2 February 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
air u a fag

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 4 February 2014, 12:06:03 PM »

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 4 February 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
Snip...

Ooh, will have to look out for these. Sound interesting!

*fires open reminders app*

EDIT: These for Mexico or the UK, or both?
« Last Edit: 4 February 2014, 01:04:24 PM by luisc99 »

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 4 February 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
Snip...

Ooh, will have to look out for these. Sound interesting!

*fires open reminders app*

EDIT: These for Mexico or the UK, or both?
I think they all vary. I got it from Reddit/r/Astronomy