Author Topic: [Moved from Staff Board] Ako, you are wrong.  (Read 15813 times)

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
[Moved from Staff Board] Ako, you are wrong.
« on: 9 February 2014, 12:55:31 PM »
Ako insists that not using an s after the apostrophe of a word that ends with s is wrong, but the wrong one here is akunt.

Wrong according to Akunt:

Carlos and his dildo:
Carlos' dildo is very slimy.
Carlos' mom enjoys her son's dildo.

What is correct according to Akunt:

Carlos and his dildo:
Carlos's dildo is very slimy
Carlos's mom enjoys her son's dildo

After some research, I have concluded that BOTH uses are correct. Carlos's is a more traditional use, while Carlos' is a more recent one.

I looked through various sources but this one is best:
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=69067&highlight=plural+possessive+apostrophe+words+ending+in+s

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • ckiens
    • View profile
Re: Ako, you are wrong.
« Reply #1 on: 9 February 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
here is a will smith to annoy ako

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 9 February 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
"A more recent one" probably means lazy internet losers using it has made it so commonplace it is quasi-acceptable now. Possessive is 's. There is no random rule that says if a name ends in s to randomly drop the 's.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 9 February 2014, 03:15:43 PM »
"A more recent one" probably means lazy internet losers using it has made it so commonplace it is quasi-acceptable now. Possessive is 's. There is no random rule that says if a name ends in s to randomly drop the 's.
Luuul so mad he got schooled

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 9 February 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
I have seen news articles and Wikipedia articles written like that. You are wrong, son. Accept defeat.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 9 February 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
Possessive is 's. There is no rule that says s's can't exist.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 9 February 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
That's why I said both are right.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 9 February 2014, 04:07:49 PM »

So you're claiming there is an English language rule where one of the letters in the alphabet (an S) can arbitrarily alter standard possessive protocol?

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 9 February 2014, 04:56:44 PM »

So you're claiming there is an English language rule where one of the letters in the alphabet (an S) can arbitrarily alter standard possessive protocol?
Not me, numerous sources. U just mad cuz u got schooled.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 9 February 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
Omfg I just looked at your "best source" and the argument is that Fergus's is "wierd" (yes, incorrect fucking spelling).
That forum is a bunch of speculation and assertion without sources. I don't accept it. And they can't spell worth shit so I don't want to read it anymore.
And it's a forum. Since when is a forum a source?

lol u mad coz I not accepting u bullshit lol u mad

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 9 February 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
http://m.grammarbook.com/punctuation-rules/apostrophes.aspx
Although names ending in s or an s sound are not required to have the second s added in possessive form, it is preferred.

Mr. Jones's golf clubs

Texas's weather

Ms. Straus's daughter

Jose Sanchez's artwork

Dr. Hastings's appointment (name is Hastings)

Mrs. Lees's books (name is Lees)

Rule 4:

To show plural possession, make the noun plural first. Then immediately use the apostrophe.

Examples:

two boys' hats

two women's hats

two actresses' hats

two children's hats

the Changs' house

the Joneses' golf clubs

the Strauses' daughter

the Sanchezes' artwork

the Hastingses' appointment

the Leeses' books

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 9 February 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
NOT REQUIRED

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 9 February 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
Not requied because, like I said, internet laziness has dictated that the incorrect usage is so common that it is quasi-acceptable, but not preferred. That's why things keep saying it is "recent" in terms of acceptance. It's incorrect syntax either way. It's taking plural possessive rules and arbitrarily applying them to singular possessive for no reason other than some people thinking it looks wierd.

No argument over plural possessive.

Also, mobile link therefore do not care. Mobile links are not permissible as sources.
Source: Me saying it on this forum just now.

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 9 February 2014, 05:24:40 PM »
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/apostrophe#apostrophes_showing_possession

From the official Oxford English Dictionary. These people decide how the English language works. Also used on the UK TV show Countdown. If you have an objection, take it up with them.

Boom.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 9 February 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/apostrophe#apostrophes_showing_possession

From the official Oxford English Dictionary. These people decide how the English language works. Also used on the UK TV show Countdown. If you have an objection, take it up with them.

Boom.

Actually, speakers and writers of English are the ones who decide how the English language works. Dictionary writers are not authorities, and their job is actually to represent the language as used by the speakers in the most accurate and correct way possible. Languages evolve as those who speak and write them change how they speak and write them, and dictionaries are to reflect this reality, not force it.

That's why the acceptance of the odd syntax of allowing singular possessive to drop the s after the apostrophe is often referred to as "recent", because dictionaries are noticing its usage. Oxford, in that link, says exception is occasionally made especially for organization names, and that it is best to check with the organization on how they spell it - because, again, Oxford is just trying to reflect the reality of an evolving language, and not act as an authority. And since s's is pronounced as such (Thomas's cheese as "Thomasis cheese", not just "Thomas cheese"), Oxford is quite clear in that link that you should indeed spell it correctly: Thomas's cheese.

Can I get a boom?
« Last Edit: 9 February 2014, 05:56:32 PM by Akomine »

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
Re: [Moved from Staff Board] Ako, you are wrong.
« Reply #15 on: 9 February 2014, 06:25:42 PM »

Boom.

Actually, speakers and writers of English are the ones who decide how the English language works. Dictionary writers are not authorities, and their job is actually to represent the language as used by the speakers in the most accurate and correct way possible. Languages evolve as those who speak and write them change how they speak and write them, and dictionaries are to reflect this reality, not force it.

That's why the acceptance of the odd syntax of allowing singular possessive to drop the s after the apostrophe is often referred to as "recent", because dictionaries are noticing its usage. Oxford, in that link, says exception is occasionally made especially for organization names, and that it is best to check with the organization on how they spell it - because, again, Oxford is just trying to reflect the reality of an evolving language, and not act as an authority. And since s's is pronounced as such (Thomas's cheese as "Thomasis cheese", not just "Thomas cheese"), Oxford is quite clear in that link that you should indeed spell it correctly: Thomas's cheese.

Can I get a boom?

You sir have earned your boom with flying colours ;)

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 9 February 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
All languages are constantly changing. Thousands of people have adopted the apostrophe after s and no s after. I have asked Ako about other bizarre English rules, like using "was" or "were" in different sentences; "I wish I was an astronaut"/"I wish I were an astronaut". Ako said "were" would be more correct but "was" is correct too. Why can't Ako just say the same about apostrophe usage? I don't know, niggas. Ako is a weird landlubber, yarrr.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 9 February 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
And Ako moved this thread from the Staff Board to Off-Topic because he wants to publicly shame me and break my feelings.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #18 on: 9 February 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
yarr, I already owned you. Oxford backed up my case.

/thread

someone can lock this topic. nothing else to debate here.
« Last Edit: 9 February 2014, 07:16:30 PM by Akomine »

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #19 on: 9 February 2014, 07:29:55 PM »

blacka_ch33ze

« Reply #20 on: 9 February 2014, 08:31:09 PM »

60% percent of that should be me getting owned my the unfinished azghath

Offline MossyPaws

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • bruh I'm on an all pie diet
    • View profile
« Reply #21 on: 9 February 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
We were taught that rule in school here
discord- katie#7438

Witchdoctor1

« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2014, 08:27:54 PM »
According to the American Psychological Association (APA) which dictates the most commonly used format (APA Style) for writing on the collegiate level in the US, the only time in which a singular possessive noun utilizes (-s') as opposed to the standard (-s's) is when the singular possessive noun has a silent s, such as Descartes' or Vacouleurs'. There are two(2) exceptions, the traditional names Jesus and Moses, but who cares about them anyways.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 February 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
According to the American Psychological Association (APA) which dictates the most commonly used format (APA Style) for writing on the collegiate level in the US, the only time in which a singular possessive noun utilizes (-s') as opposed to the standard (-s's) is when the singular possessive noun has a silent s, such as Descartes' or Vacouleurs'. There are two(2) exceptions, the traditional names Jesus and Moses, but who cares about them anyways.

This falls in line with Oxford, which says it has to do with what is pronounced, not that both ways are equally valid. Good input, Air has been further owned.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 February 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
Congratulations, Airborne, you are now a grammar/spelling/usage police. Now please hand over your man card and cut off your testicles. =P

Screw that, the brand on your ass takes priority since it has a physical manifestation. You belong to me, mother trucker.
Freelix is awesome.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Airbongo (OP)

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 February 2014, 12:59:55 AM »
Congratulations, Airborne, you are now a grammar/spelling/usage police. Now please hand over your man card and cut off your testicles. =P
False...Ako is the grammar slut and he corrected me because I said "Luis'". I made a post in staff board and lil akunt moved it here.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
False...Ako is the grammar slut and he corrected me because I said "Luis'". I made a post in staff board and lil akunt moved it here.
Very well then.
Congratulations, Ako, you are now a grammar/spelling/usage police. Now please hand over your man card and cut off your testicles. =P

Screw that, the brand on your ass takes priority since it has a physical manifestation. You belong to me, mother trucker.
Freelix is awesome.
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
Very well then.
Congratulations, Ako, you are now a grammar/spelling/usage police. Now please hand over your man card and cut off your testicles. =P

I am hereby plural Nazi and my ways are correct and are the only ways and the entire world must assimilate or die. However, I cherish all three of my testicles and shall not cut them off nor hand in my certified card.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
Very well then.

I am hereby plural Nazi and my ways are correct and are the only ways and the entire world must assimilate or die. However, I cherish all three of my testicles and shall not cut them off nor hand in my certified card.
I forgot that you don't have testicles... thanks for reminding me.

Freelix is awesome.

Offline Buildbecky

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
  • It's that Becky the Builder.
    • View profile
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
I have to admit, I think this is the longest ever conversation about s' and s's that I have ever seen!
You guys might not have seen me in a while, but I am still here, I am watching you. >:)

~Becky
it's a running joke where i say things about luis that are untrue and they are actually true and i didnt know about them
I dunno what I'm talking about most of the time so don't listen to meh.

Offline Freelix2000

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Meow.
    • View profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 February 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
Actually, most "lazy internet losers" don't use apostrophes at all, and when they do, they would do it correctly. And even if that is not the case, and you are correct, it still doesn't really matter why both ways are considered correct, the fact remains that you have, in fact, just been owned. =D

Freelix is awesome.