Author Topic: Operation Blackout  (Read 6641 times)

Offline ThePandaWonder (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -1
  • 9/11
    • View profile
    • Fuck yeah its Cheese!
Operation Blackout
« on: 15 July 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
www.operationblackout.net
Can like more people read this and sign this? I like the idea that they will do that.
This is about the new EULA. Any opinions on this?

This is the link to the Actual petition
www.change.org/petitions/mojang-change-your-eula

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
Re: Operation Blackout
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
The EULA hasn't changed in about a year. They're simply enforcing it now. We should never have been able to monazite anything over the past year. To be honest, I agree with Mojang for everything they're doing, and will support them all the way. If it comes to it though, I'm prepared to fight for VC in any way possible if they come at us. ;)

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
The EULA hasn't changed in about a year. They're simply enforcing it now. We should never have been able to monazite anything over the past year. To be honest, I agree with Mojang for everything they're doing, and will support them all the way. If it comes to it though, I'm prepared to fight for VC in any way possible if they come at us. ;)

lolwat

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
Can like more people read this and sign this? I like the idea that they will do that.

Interesting... not sure if we should blackout or not.

Offline Cbddallas

• Staff Member
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 23
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2014, 08:22:51 AM »
I don't see how anything VC does is violating the EULA. What am I missing?  Or is this a solidarity issue?

Offline MossyPaws

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • bruh I'm on an all pie diet
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
The benefits with the red asterisk beside them- [ * ]- are the ones that, as far as I can see, will be affected by the EULA. This may be wrong but this is what I have found after reading the Mojang pages addressing it. (links below).

{ Any donor of at least $1 will receive…

A Blue [D] Donor Tag
    The ability to colour-code your nickname

Donors of $5 or more will receive…

An improved [VIP] Donor Tag
    Plus the ability to set 3 homes *
    Plus a seat as a Member of Parliament (MP)
    Plus 2,000 times your donation in in-game cash *

Donors of $10 or more will receive…

A Sleek Silver [VIP] donor Tag
    The ability to set 4 homes *
    A seat as a Member of Parliament (MP)
    2,000 times your donation in in-game cash *
    Plus removed teleport cooldowns and delays *

Donors of $20 or more will receive…

A Glorious Gold [VIP] donor Tag
    The ability to set 6 homes *
    A seat as a Member of Parliament (MP)
    2,000 times your donation in in-game cash *
    Removed teleport cooldowns and delays *
    Plus access to all non-private village warps *

Additional Donor Ranks:

Donors of $50 or more will also receive…

A Tempestuous Teal [VIP] Donor Tag
    The ability to set 12 homes *
    And more unique features as we add them

Donors of $75 or more will also receive…

A Radical Rainbow Donor Tag that you can customize with any colours (except for predominantly red). Default will be purple [VIP] Donor Tag
    The ability to set 17 homes *
    And more lovely features as we add them

Donors of $100 or more will also receive…

Any sexy short Donor Tag that you can customize with any colours (except for predominantly red), as long as it does not conflict with other tags. Default will be black [VIP] Donor Tag
    The ability to set 22 homes*
    And more outstanding features as we add them }

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/
discord- katie#7438

Offline Cbddallas

• Staff Member
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
I have to disagree - I think VC is still pretty far inside the line. Those things are conveniences, but they don't give in-game advantages. I can't buy xp, can't buy enchanted items, etc., can't buy anything that's not available to all players. And while my sexy tag is invaluable to me, it gives me nothing game related. 

Offline ThePandaWonder (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -1
  • 9/11
    • View profile
    • Fuck yeah its Cheese!
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2014, 09:05:40 AM »

Interesting... not sure if we should blackout or not.

VC doesnt have enough traffic to do affect anything. Most of the people that play on VC will see this on the forum and if they want they can just do it from here. The servers that are doing it are the big ones that have thousands of people going through the server like Hypixel and Hive (Not sure if they are participating in this, its most likely they are).

I don't see how anything VC does is violating the EULA. What am I missing?  Or is this a solidarity issue?

Let me explain the situation. Mojang want to stop the endless emails that come from the parents about how their child spent 100$ on an MC server which they have no control over and they want the money back. So Mojang tried to ban all of the donations that give the users that donate perks but that failed as it backfired on them and now they made it a bit better allowing the users have perks that do no affect the gameplay like Coloured nicknames pets and stuff. Officially Mojang had this rule about not allowing users make money from their game but they never enforced it and so it became a norm in the MC community.

For VC (and other servers) it means the perks that give the donators advantages like More homes or Instant TP and bypass of the tp cooldown are not allowed unless you can get them without spending money on the server. Mojang is trying to make the game fair but also ruining the MC community because most of the servers will die out because who the fuck donates for perks that are useless? Only the people who want the server that they play on to survive and thrive.

Well luis if there was a Case against VC, VC would lose as Mojang owes the game. If they don't change the EULA back to what it was in MC Beta (Thats what I heard) I suggest creating hard to get ranks that will have the same perks as Donators therefore bypassing the system because those perks are not exclusive to the Donators. If the EULA does not change some servers may do that to bypass the Legal system. Anyhow I wish VC survives this MC disaster and lives on!

(Also luis u ghey for supporting Mojgay)

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2014, 10:25:35 AM »

Well luis if there was a Case against VC, VC would lose as Mojang owes the game. If they don't change the EULA back to what it was in MC Beta (Thats what I heard) I suggest creating hard to get ranks that will have the same perks as Donators therefore bypassing the system because those perks are not exclusive to the Donators. If the EULA does not change some servers may do that to bypass the Legal system. Anyhow I wish VC survives this MC disaster and lives on!

Well to start off, the server owner (Ako) accepted the licence back in beta when he bought the game, meaning he never agreed to the new EULA and the old one still applies to him, and any use he makes of the game. Also, their EULA is not enforceable by law, whereas our purchases are. They are weaker than most people seem to realise.

Also Mossy's list is correct I think. How we'd avoid this I've no clue. Either way, there's not all that much they can do to us.

Offline Cbddallas

• Staff Member
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
Can I charge for access to server commands?
Yes, as long as their effects are purely cosmetic. Commands that affect gameplay, such as a command to fly, cannot be sold for hard currency.
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/

I think this solves the set homes and the warp issue, leaving possibly only the in-game cash as problematic.  One suggestion would be to simply use in-game cash as a discretionary thank you from the server owner, and remove the direct link between donating and receiving.  So that the answer to "what to VIPs get for donating" is a list of things that do not affect gameplay.

I do like THIS idea though -

Can users purchase something that affects the entire server, such as a temporary XP boost?
 Yes, but everyone who can access the server must be able to use the feature, regardless of whether they purchased it or not.

something like "X donated to the server, here is your free _____ - thank you X!"

I also think the EULA is going to apply to ongoing use of Mojang's product, regardless of when it was originally purchased. 

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Things Mojang should do:
Take a railroad spike, and shove it down their hypocritical throats.

Mojang made minecraft, but compared to the community, they are the least worthwhile participant in advancing this game. The bukkit team, for example, is what makes minecraft what it is. Mojang is the shackles on what could be, but for some reason isn't.