Author Topic: PSA - Important VCV Changes (Update: Changes implemented, come play!)  (Read 6133 times)

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
UPDATE: Vote is in favour of the changes, so these changes will take place this weekend on VCV. (29th August 2014)
UPDATE: Changes implemented! World border that slowly expands is now in effect. Enjoy!

Hey all!

So, I've noticed that not many people are playing on VCV recently. I've been thinking about what we can do with it for a while, and thought it might be a good idea to do a "world border" map. We've discussed it a bit as staff and liked it, so we decided to ask you all to see what you think of the idea. Let me explain.

A new map is generated. The staff would pick a seed which has a variety of biomes and not much water in the local area. We set the world spawn to 0,0, and a world border with a diameter of 500 blocks. There are a range of options we could have. One is the border expanding by 100 blocks a month, or 1000 blocks per month. To get an idea of what this is, let me show you some calculations. The initial world would be 500x500, which is just a bit bigger than Qualia. If we assume there are 15,768,000 seconds in 6 months, expanding at 1000 blocks per month, the diameter of the world would increase by roughly 33 blocks per day, which is around 1.3 blocks per hour. This would be the same in both the nether and the end. At this rate, we'd be able to access the end in 1-2 months, due to where strongholds generate, and a nether fortress after 0-1 months. There would be no shortage of resources, as the majority of minerals are renewable via farms, plus there would be roughly 200k coal ore, 97k iron ore, 9k gold ore, 3k diamond ore, and more would become available as the border expands. After the 6 months, we would ask you if you wanted to keep the border expanding, or if you want it to stay still.

Some advantages of this would include:
> People would be forced into a small space, meaning there would be more teamwork between players, and people would see each other more.
> The border would require the snapshot, allowing players to use the latest and greatest changes including banners, huge performance updates, new blocks, a new temple with boss, armour stands, rabbits, and more!

Some disadvantages of this would include:
> Space limitations if there is too many people, although the border could be sped up.
> There may be a lack of unique blocks at the beginning.

I've left a poll below, allowing you to have your say on what happens to VCV. Please vote, as it's important to get the opinion of everyone so we can tailor the new map to suit the most people. If you know people who play on VCV who don't check the forums, please link them here. If you have any questions, comments or things you want to bring up, please ask.

//The VC Staff

« Last Edit: 1 September 2014, 11:23:35 PM by Akomine »

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
Re: PSA - Important VCV Changes
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2014, 05:50:51 AM »
I like this idea and I hope it is voted in. The only downside is if someone manages to get diamond/iron armor at the start and easily finding and killing everyone. Though that's not likely to happen.

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2014, 07:05:33 AM »
Could always make a whitelist so that if someone really wants to do it they gotta sign up on a forum post to be added so its not too crowded

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2014, 11:10:26 AM »
Could always make a whitelist so that if someone really wants to do it they gotta sign up on a forum post to be added so its not too crowded
Eh, maybe. Whitelists often end with issues. We don't really like it, which is why we took it off FTB

Offline Light_Blue_Man

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2014, 05:45:31 AM »
So If this passes (Which it will) will VCV Map be up for download?

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2014, 10:38:33 AM »

The VCV world is currently 3.5GB. I presume if Ako is fine with it, and we can find a way to distribute it, then there should be no reason we couldn't offer it for download :D

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2014, 10:43:07 AM »

The VCV world is currently 3.5GB. I presume if Ako is fine with it, and we can find a way to distribute it, then there should be no reason we couldn't offer it for download :D

but then ppl able to go find diamonds n shit and without world border they'll be able to go places they cant yet get in and know where the diamodns are

Offline luisc99 (OP)

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2014, 12:26:28 PM »

but then ppl able to go find diamonds n shit and without world border they'll be able to go places they cant yet get in and know where the diamodns are

I think you mis-understood. We'd give out the old map we've had over the past however many months. That wouldn't help them at all on the new one :)

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2014, 12:35:54 PM »

I think you mis-understood. We'd give out the old map we've had over the past however many months. That wouldn't help them at all on the new one :)

k

Offline daverator

• Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2014, 04:36:53 PM »
I thinking of voting yes but I'll want to be able to download the existing map.
Are there going to be rules about griefing, and stealing or it its going to be wild west style?   If its wild west style, then I'd start with a bigger map, like 1k or 2k diameter.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2014, 07:04:20 PM »
I don't mind letting people download the current map.

VCV will remain wild west style. If we find the map is too small to begin with, we can possibly give it a boost, but honestly, with constant expansion it should be fine.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2014, 03:44:17 AM »
With the results of this vote, we've decided to go through with it. Should make for something interesting.
VillageCraft Vanilla will be wiped and switched over to the new ever-expanding map this weekend.

(VillageCraft will be unaltered.)

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2014, 08:41:44 AM »
With the results of this vote, we've decided to go through with it. Should make for something interesting.
VillageCraft Vanilla will be wiped and switched over to the new ever-expanding map this weekend.

We could set up a torrent with the current VCV map, probs.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2014, 09:53:20 AM »

We could set up a torrent with the current VCV map, probs.
Would be easier to just use https://mega.co.nz