Author Topic: How Bad Are The Bugs In Windows 10?  (Read 17526 times)

Offline Legoman244 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
How Bad Are The Bugs In Windows 10?
« on: 13 September 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
With a few issues that were preventing my PC from upgrading to windows 10 now fixed, I've been wondering: how bad are the bugs in Windows 10 as of now? I was going to wait until around December to upgrade, as that should give Microsoft plenty of time to squash the majority of bugs, but do I really need to wait that long? People that have windows 10, leave your suggestions below please! Thanks! ~Lego

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • ckiens
    • View profile
Re: How Bad Are The Bugs In Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
Not as bad as the ones in Australia

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2015, 04:58:45 PM »
It's downloading on my laptop right now, I'll let you know in a week.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Legoman244 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2015, 05:57:02 PM »

Offline Legoman244 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
It's downloading on my laptop right now, I'll let you know in a week.
Thanks

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2015, 06:24:36 PM »
Very early impressions:

Windows 10 is awesome. Looks and feels very crisp. Boots, restarts, and runs very fast. (Note: I have it installed on a SSD, and it boots in about 3 seconds, though I've heard it's very fast regardless.)

Setting up Windows 10 was extremely user-friendly and even pleasant, this was one of the [only] things that Windows 8 did really well, and it's good to see they kept it.

All the hilariously overblown outrage over Microsoft collecting your data is incredibly dumb. Right when you set up Windows 10 it explains the data that is collected and why, and allows you to enable/disable every single thing you can send to Microsoft, all the way down to basic error reports. This actually makes Windows 10 the most honest and user-friendly OS I've ever used when it comes to data collection. I turned most of it off, but there are legitimate things to keep on.

The proper desktop and start menu are back! The start menu is excellent, and combines some of the positive aspects of the technology from Windows 8 without forcing it on you as a whole separate screen (though if you're one of the 4 people who liked Windows 8's bizarre split personality, you can choose to have a fullscreen start menu, which is sorfof like Windows 8's start button). The task bar behaves like windows 7, and you can customize it as per usual. It now comes with a built-in search bar right beside the start button that searches both your PC and the internet, which is incredibly handy and one of my favourite features - incredibly utilitarian and modern.

The lock screen, should you choose to use one, by default features a new picture every day, which is a nice little touch, though you can of course make it anything you want. It shows the time, the date, the battery if you're using one, and whether you're connected to wifi. You can customize it if you want to use a password, a pin, or a picture to sign in. You can also customize it by showing info on any program you want right on the lock screen, which is awesome and also incredibly modern.

Unlike many Apple devices there is a proper task manager that Windows users know and love, and like Windows 7 and many handheld devices there is also task viewer (where all the open programs are shown side by side, and are selectable) - in other words, the basic tools that make Windows a powerful OS are back and working well.

I don't know about games yet, but articles I've read have said there are very few compatibility errors, which is impressive considering how new Windows 10 is.

As a bonus, Microsoft Edge, the new internet browser, so far seems quite good. It has an awesome note-taking feature where you can take notes right on a webpage at any time, whether by typing, highlighting, or writing like a pen. You can also take screen clippings at any time and paste them anywhere you want. Very handy browser, but I haven't used it much to give a thorough review. I will likely use it alongside Chrome. I like Microsoft's commitment to privacy so I hope I can avoid untrustworthy Google and switch to Edge, but time will tell if it's superior.

Conclusion:
These are just early impressions, my opinion will change and I'll post my updated thoughts as I use Windows 10 more.
So far it seems like a very utilitarian, user-friendly, SANE mix of all the things that make Windows great, as well as tossing aside the crap from Windows 8 and instead taking the good aspects of it and using them to make Windows 10 better rather than hindered. I have not encountered any bugs at this time.
I like Windows 10 so far, and I especially like how it's free.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2015, 06:31:32 PM by Akomine »

Offline Legoman244 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
Very early impressions:

Windows 10 is awesome. Looks and feels very crisp. Boots, restarts, and runs very fast. (Note: I have it installed on a SSD, and it boots in about 3 seconds, though I've heard it's very fast regardless.)

Setting up Windows 10 was extremely user-friendly and even pleasant, this was one of the [only] things that Windows 8 did really well, and it's good to see they kept it.

All the hilariously overblown outrage over Microsoft collecting your data is incredibly dumb. Right when you set up Windows 10 it explains the data that is collected and why, and allows you to enable/disable every single thing you can send to Microsoft, all the way down to basic error reports. This actually makes Windows 10 the most honest and user-friendly OS I've ever used when it comes to data collection. I turned most of it off, but there are legitimate things to keep on.

The proper desktop and start menu are back! The start menu is excellent, and combines some of the positive aspects of the technology from Windows 8 without forcing it on you as a whole separate screen (though if you're one of the 4 people who liked Windows 8's bizarre split personality, you can choose to have a fullscreen start menu, which is sorfof like Windows 8's start button). The task bar behaves like windows 7, and you can customize it as per usual. It now comes with a built-in search bar right beside the start button that searches both your PC and the internet, which is incredibly handy and one of my favourite features - incredibly utilitarian and modern.

The lock screen, should you choose to use one, by default features a new picture every day, which is a nice little touch, though you can of course make it anything you want. It shows the time, the date, the battery if you're using one, and whether you're connected to wifi. You can customize it if you want to use a password, a pin, or a picture to sign in. You can also customize it by showing info on any program you want right on the lock screen, which is awesome and also incredibly modern.

Unlike many Apple devices there is a proper task manager that Windows users know and love, and like Windows 7 and many handheld devices there is also task viewer (where all the open programs are shown side by side, and are selectable) - in other words, the basic tools that make Windows a powerful OS are back and working well.

I don't know about games yet, but articles I've read have said there are very few compatibility errors, which is impressive considering how new Windows 10 is.

As a bonus, Microsoft Edge, the new internet browser, so far seems quite good. It has an awesome note-taking feature where you can take notes right on a webpage at any time, whether by typing, highlighting, or writing like a pen. You can also take screen clippings at any time and paste them anywhere you want. Very handy browser, but I haven't used it much to give a thorough review. I will likely use it alongside Chrome. I like Microsoft's commitment to privacy so I hope I can avoid untrustworthy Google and switch to Edge, but time will tell if it's superior.

Conclusion:
These are just early impressions, my opinion will change and I'll post my updated thoughts as I use Windows 10 more.
So far it seems like a very utilitarian, user-friendly, SANE mix of all the things that make Windows great, as well as tossing aside the crap from Windows 8 and instead taking the good aspects of it and using them to make Windows 10 better rather than hindered. I have not encountered any bugs at this time.
I like Windows 10 so far, and I especially like how it's free.
Wow, very detailed review! I assume this means that bugs were no problem?
« Last Edit: 15 September 2015, 03:20:03 PM by Legoman244 »

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2015, 07:51:30 PM »
No bugs encountered at all so far.

Offline Legoman244 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2015, 07:59:28 PM »
No bugs encountered at all so far.
Nice. And to think I was gonna wait until like December to get it lol. I will probably install it this week

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
Are you upgrading from 7 or 8?

If 7, feel free to wait for more reviews. I've only just skimmed the very surface, so I can't give a thorough review yet, and 7 is great.
If from 8, upgrading later this week is probably a good plan. Fuck 8 lol

10 feels like an upgrade from 7, XP, etc, with some very cool new features. It feels like what 8 should've been.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2015, 08:22:11 PM by Akomine »

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2015, 07:03:44 AM »

If 7, feel free to wait for more reviews. I've only just skimmed the very surface, so I can't give a thorough review yet, and 7 is great.

10 feels like an upgrade from 7, XP, etc, with some very cool new features. It feels like what 8 should've been.
lol windows xp all the school computers run xp

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2015, 02:49:02 PM »
Unlike many Apple devices there is a proper task manager that Windows users know and love
Disclaimer: This is not an apple rant. I agree Windows 10 is better than Windows 8 and at a push 7. This is a correction. "Task Manager" translates to "Activity Monitor" on OS X, and offers similar things like CPU Usage and RAM Usage, along with other information like Real vs Virtual memory size.

Please don't start rants / turn this into some ranting thread / chase me down with pitchforks for sharing simple non-opinionated facts.

Ako: Are SSDs worth the money nowadays? I know they used to be really expensive and you needed the equivilent of NASA's (underfunded) budget to buy anything bigger than 16GB. Would you recommend one for general use?
« Last Edit: 15 September 2015, 06:39:46 PM by luisc99 »

Offline Legoman244 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2015, 03:23:24 PM »

I am upgrading from 7. I've also heard from friends that it is pretty good, with little to no bugs. I've been thinking that since I'll be getting it in the long run, it won't hurt to go ahead and get it. Plus I think it looks pretty cool lol.

Offline Legoman244 (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
Currently downloading! Also download size 2.6 GB, not too bad.

Witchdoctor1

« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
I have been waiting on my free download for over a month now... yes, I went through the windows 10 upgrade utility thingie and all that. Still nothing. Bastards!

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Unlike many Apple devices there is a proper task manager that Windows users know and love
Disclaimer: This is not an apple rant. I agree Windows 10 is better than Windows 8 and at a push 7. This is a correction. "Task Manager" translates to "Activity Monitor" on OS X, and offers similar things like CPU Usage and RAM Usage, along with other information like Real vs Virtual memory size.

Please don't start rants / turn this into some ranting thread / chase me down with pitchforks for sharing simple non-opinionated facts.

Ako: Are SSDs worth the money nowadays? I know they used to be really expensive and you needed the equivilent of NASA's (underfunded) budget to buy anything bigger than 16GB. Would you recommend one for general use?
Lynch the Mac lover! Sharpen your pitchforks, boys.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2015, 01:51:35 AM »
@luisc99 Luis, it's good OSX has a task manager (I assumed it must have one), it would be ridiculous without one - is it easy to access? Like as easy as ctrl+alt+del? My iPhone doesn't have one or even a file manager (I had to jailbreak it and download one the underground way, which is so retarded I won't even bother getting into it lol).

I'm not using a SSD in my desktop PC; for that info you'll have to ask Airbo. I bought a laptop that has a detachable keyboard, meaning it is a full OS that can also be a tablet. It can be used with the keyboard/mouse or as a touchscreen. The screen/tablet part has a 32GB SSD in it which is why I have Win10 on an SSD. The keyboard has a 500GB HDD in it as well. I bought this model (I think, there's a bunch and I didn't double check just now) and I love it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083629-REG/asus_t100tam_h1_gm_10_1_bt_z3775_2gb_32ssd_500_windows8_1_metal.html

The SSD is god damn awesome, my Laptop with Windows boots from fully off in about 10-15 seconds and can resume from sleep instantly, both with zero delay waiting for programs to become responsive. SSDs are coming down in price year after year, and I've seen a SSD terabyte for $270 (example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9640808&Sku=KNY-102878751) which is starting to get really interesting. They are absolutely worth it if you can justify the price or wait a year or two for it to get even lower (when it will be a no-brainer). They are so incredibly fast that it makes life just that much better with a lot less time waiting for shit to load through a spinning disk.

--

@Legoman244 Lego, tell me what you think! Going from 7 to 8 is an absolute pain, but going from 7 to 10 should be pretty enjoyable and feel like a true upgrade from 7.

--

@Witchdoctor1 Apparently Microsoft has opened it up to an anytime upgrade now if you don't want to wait for Windows Update to give you your chance.
I think you do that here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade but I'm not 100% sure, I read it on some review site that you could anytime now.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2015, 02:06:14 AM »
Oh and, @Noket
Windows 10 has multiple desktops like Linux. It's awesome.

I love how I can have a work desktop, and swap over to a youtube/screwaround desktop, and then swap over to say a game desktop if I want to. It's a really powerful feature.

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2015, 01:30:12 PM »
Luis, it's good OSX has a task manager (I assumed it must have one), it would be ridiculous without one - is it easy to access? Like as easy as ctrl+alt+del? My iPhone doesn't have one or even a file manager (I had to jailbreak it and download one the underground way, which is so retarded I won't even bother getting into it lol).

I'm not using a SSD in my desktop PC; for that info you'll have to ask Airbo. I bought a laptop that has a detachable keyboard, meaning it is a full OS that can also be a tablet. It can be used with the keyboard/mouse or as a touchscreen. The screen/tablet part has a 32GB SSD in it which is why I have Win10 on an SSD. The keyboard has a 500GB HDD in it as well. I bought this model (I think, there's a bunch and I didn't double check just now) and I love it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083629-REG/asus_t100tam_h1_gm_10_1_bt_z3775_2gb_32ssd_500_windows8_1_metal.html

The SSD is god damn awesome, my Laptop with Windows boots from fully off in about 10-15 seconds and can resume from sleep instantly, both with zero delay waiting for programs to become responsive. SSDs are coming down in price year after year, and I've seen a SSD terabyte for $270 (example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9640808&Sku=KNY-102878751) which is starting to get really interesting. They are absolutely worth it if you can justify the price or wait a year or two for it to get even lower (when it will be a no-brainer). They are so incredibly fast that it makes life just that much better with a lot less time waiting for shit to load through a spinning disk.

There's probably some keyboard shortcut to get it. I've never run into a point where the OS doesn't want to open it like any other apps though. I usually just use cmd+space + "act" + enter though when I need to open it, because I type too quickly and things like that are just making me lazy and forget where I save things.

EDIT: I've figured out there is a key combo for it, but I changed mine ages ago to something I liked better. You can make it open directly, with no other screens first, with any key combo you want

SSDs must be more expensive over here though. From a relatively common PC store, 1TB is £349.99 (with a £10 saving on RRP), which is about US$542.16 according to Google. I checked Maplin too, but they do external ones for £469.99 to £539.99, or about £250 for an internal one. Might give it a few years (decades) to drop a bit :P
« Last Edit: 2 October 2015, 01:06:56 PM by luisc99 »

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2015, 08:26:55 PM »
Oh and, @Noket
Windows 10 has multiple desktops like Linux. It's awesome.

I love how I can have a work desktop, and swap over to a youtube/screwaround desktop, and then swap over to say a game desktop if I want to. It's a really powerful feature.

Bout time they finally got with the fuckin' program

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2015, 03:39:16 PM »
There's probably some keyboard shortcut to get it. I've never run into a point where the OS doesn't want to open it like any other apps though. I usually just use cmd+space + "act" + enter though when I need to open it, because I type too quickly and things like that are just making me lazy and forget where I save things.

SSDs must be more expensive over here though. From a relatively common PC store, 1TB is £349.99 (with a £10 saving on RRP), which is about US$542.16 according to Google. I checked Maplin too, but they do external ones for £469.99 to £539.99, or about £250 for an internal one. Might give it a few years (decades) to drop a bit :P

The SSD you linked to is a portable external one. Internal ones meant to be a main drive on your PC should be less money. I have no experience with UK parts stores, but my best advice is to hunt around with all of the ones you can find online, there's always sales and some sites just have good deals on some parts. At least here that's how it is. Retail stores are usually more expensive.

bob131573

« Reply #21 on: 24 October 2015, 07:25:55 PM »
Windows ten overall is good.
Although, the first week it went through some updates like every day to fix some bugs, but after that all was well. I have one kink to mention.
Sometimes when i get on the network wifi thingy says there are no networks, and after trying it and seeing my networks ARE online it still says there are none. This can be easily fixed by rebooting, but i just wanted to point it out. Also, if you try cortana a few times, she will eventually say yes to marrying you (Which is good because siri totally friendzoned me). It is overall wonderful, and i love the multiple desktop thing. I like how the windows button will give you a small drop-up bar instead of changing the entire screen. The settings are much improved in my opinion and microsoft edge is awesome (Better than chrome (Dont judge me))
 So this is cool
« Last Edit: 24 October 2015, 07:32:53 PM by bob131573 »

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 October 2015, 08:28:55 PM »
Although, the first week it went through some updates like every day to fix some bugs, but after that all was well. I have one kink to mention.
Sometimes when i get on the network wifi thingy says there are no networks, and after trying it and seeing my networks ARE online it still says there are none. This can be easily fixed by rebooting, but i just wanted to point it out. Also, if you try cortana a few times, she will eventually say yes to marrying you (Which is good because siri totally friendzoned me). It is overall wonderful, and i love the multiple desktop thing. I like how the windows button will give you a small drop-up bar instead of changing the entire screen. The settings are much improved in my opinion and microsoft edge is awesome (Better than chrome (Dont judge me))
 So this is cool

I haven't had the wifi problem, but you should report it to microsoft, they're actually fucking amazingly good at getting back to you.

Edge is pretty good, needs addons, so I still use chrome until it gets more populated with 3rd party stuff. Addons aside, solid browser so far. Also considered the fastest now (not that 0.083 seconds is noticeable by anyone).

bob131573

« Reply #23 on: 24 October 2015, 09:38:33 PM »
 So this is cool

I haven't had the wifi problem, but you should report it to microsoft, they're actually fucking amazingly good at getting back to you.

Edge is pretty good, needs addons, so I still use chrome until it gets more populated with 3rd party stuff. Addons aside, solid browser so far. Also considered the fastest now (not that 0.083 seconds is noticeable by anyone).
Yeah the thing i love about edge is the drawing button. It stops the page's activity and lets you draw on the browser. Like if i wanted to go to dynmap and click on the button, i could draw on the map. Like drawing where and how my village's small military will take over Qualia >:3. But anyway, the browser has some nice fast features that i love and could get used to, plus it is a really fast startup and design. The only thing that i'm not a fan of is the default search engine. I hate bing.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2015, 09:46:34 PM by bob131573 »

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 October 2015, 09:55:24 PM »
meanwhile, in linux land, to fix network problems:

$: sudo service network-manager restart

Boom. Fixed.

bob131573

« Reply #25 on: 24 October 2015, 09:58:22 PM »

Boom. Fixed.
Yeah, but with windows 10 all i had to do was reboot (With windows 10 takes about 5-10 seconds)
Ok,
I also was wondering, does anybody know how to use the installed windows 10 projection systems? (fn + f8)(Projecting computer screen to TV) Can it work with a TV or a casting device (Like chromecast) Because it would be mad cool to be able to play minecraft PC on your TV without hooking it up. Just wondering, because that would be cool to do (My pc is too small to hook up to one of those god damn tv cables, no ports for that)

Tvm, Tikko
« Last Edit: 24 October 2015, 10:01:06 PM by bob131573 »

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 October 2015, 03:16:57 AM »
 So this is cool

Yeah the thing i love about edge is the drawing button. It stops the page's activity and lets you draw on the browser. Like if i wanted to go to dynmap and click on the button, i could draw on the map. Like drawing where and how my village's small military will take over Qualia >:3. But anyway, the browser has some nice fast features that i love and could get used to, plus it is a really fast startup and design. The only thing that i'm not a fan of is the default search engine. I hate bing.

Yesss the drawing/notes thing is awesome. And built in screenclipping.

bingisapparentlyreallygoodforporn

Lividup64

« Reply #27 on: 25 October 2015, 09:56:31 AM »

Boom. Fixed.
Yeah, but with windows 10 all i had to do was reboot (With windows 10 takes about 5-10 seconds)
Ok,
I also was wondering, does anybody know how to use the installed windows 10 projection systems? (fn + f8)(Projecting computer screen to TV) Can it work with a TV or a casting device (Like chromecast) Because it would be mad cool to be able to play minecraft PC on your TV without hooking it up. Just wondering, because that would be cool to do (My pc is too small to hook up to one of those god damn tv cables, no ports for that)

Tvm, Tikko

Just say laptop?

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 October 2015, 10:19:01 AM »

Boom. Fixed.
Ok,

Tvm, Tikko

Yeah, but rebooting involves few seconds of doing nothing followed by you reopening your programs. The command line thing is easy.

Also, I'd expect you'll probably need either a VGA or HDMI cable to connect to a tv, considering that is how PC-TV connections work. Almost all computers and most laptops have them, unless they're one of those new modern things with a usb port and nothing else. You might be able to find programs for a chromecast thing, but that's up to you to find.

And please don't say "mad cool", it makes me feel old ;P

bob131573

« Reply #29 on: 25 October 2015, 11:00:35 AM »

Boom. Fixed.
Ok,

Tvm, Tikko

Just say laptop?
I have a computer.
It is personal
Pc = PERSONAL COMPUTER

bob131573

« Reply #30 on: 25 October 2015, 11:09:38 AM »

Boom. Fixed.
Ok,

Tvm, Tikko

Yeah, but rebooting involves few seconds of doing nothing followed by you reopening your programs. The command line thing is easy.

Also, I'd expect you'll probably need either a VGA or HDMI cable to connect to a tv, considering that is how PC-TV connections work. Almost all computers and most laptops have them, unless they're one of those new modern things with a usb port and nothing else. You might be able to find programs for a chromecast thing, but that's up to you to find.

And please don't say "mad cool", it makes me feel old ;P
Yeah, i thought of that and my pc is one of those "modern things" and has no ports for that.
This is my computer, cheap but fast:
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/
It has no ports for that but it is usable. (Around 50-60 FPS on minecraft)
I used to have the chromecast app on windows 8.1 but it's not compatible with windows 10 so i can't use it.
I used to use it with the chrome browser which hooks up with chromecast app, but since i can't install it, it doesn't work.
Also, the link says this uses windows 8.1 but i have windows 10