Author Topic: Water on Mars  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
Water on Mars
« on: 28 September 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
NASA just made a major announcement that years of research by the landers, rovers, and especially by the orbiters suggest that there is liquid water on Mars.

While there is likely fresh water on Mars as well, especially near the poles, this announcement relates to salt water in several places elsewhere on Mars, mostly around hills and mountains where they can see it flowing down and then evaporating. The water is a brine with perchlorate salts, which are very water-soluble. The fact that it is salty means it can survive in a liquid form from -70 to about 25 Celsius, rather than from 0 to 100 Celsius on Earth. Fresh water is much less stable in a liquid form on Mars because the current atmosphere is thin, and is only able to stay liquid from about 0 to 10 Celsius.

The Mars rovers and landers have discovered that Mars is actually quite wet; there is a lot of moisture in the soil and a lot more humidity in the air than we thought there was before visiting the planet in depth. At night, the atmosphere cools and sometimes results in ice crystals actually forming on the Curiosity Rover. Along with the heating and cooling of the humid air, the seasonal water flows down Mars's hills show that the planet has an active hydrological cycle.

The applications of this news is that:
1. Mars is habitable for water-based life, including humans who visit the planet (which will be happening soon, likely in the 2020's), who could use the water to make breathable air, drinkable water, and liquid rocket fuel as well as solid booster fuel.
2. Mars probably has life (but we just don't know for sure yet!). It might be microbial, and it might mostly live under the surface, but it's looking more and more likely that life can easily be supported as all the basic ingredients to support it are there, and considering Mars's Earth-like past, it's very possible the planet is alive with some very old life. It's possible Mars's theoretical life came from Earth rocks with living microbes, it's possible Earth's life came from ancient Mars rocks with living microbes, and it's possible both planets independently had life start upon them.
3. We now know where to visit when we next go to Mars. Where do we look for the life? Near the water. Mars 2020 is the next scheduled rover mission, and will specifically aim to look for life in the wet areas of Mars.

If you'd like to know how I know this, go watch the NASATV press broadcast that just happened minutes ago today. Here is a sample if you don't want to watch the whole thing:

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Re: Water on Mars
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2015, 01:45:07 PM »
Is the Mars Rover still rollin?

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
Is the Mars Rover still rollin?

Curiosity is still rollin, yep. It landed on Mars on the 6th of August 2012, and was expected to last about 90 days. It's still rockin and rollin and its mission was extended indefinitely because of how damn successful it is. The Mars 2020 rover will be based off of Curiosity, for good reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_2020

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2015, 02:07:08 PM »

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
This is a major announcement, and one I hope will change the mission objectives for the 2020 rover, and probably future human expeditions to the planet. Although it's very salty, water in liquid form would be very useful to humans when they visit.

including humans who visit the planet (which will be happening soon, likely in the 2020's)
Interested by this. Do you mean that MarsOne thing that people are now confident is a hoax, or an actual NASA/ESA/CSA/Roscosmos/JAXA mission? I know NASA is planning on sending humans in the 2040s because they aren't getting the funding they need to go to Mars, so 2020s seems like a bit of a push.

I've done some research on this though. The water was found only 50km away from where the Curiosity rover is now. The wikipedia article claims it can go up to 90 metres per hour, but has an average speed of 30 metres per hour. Assuming the team behind it want to, it's possible they could get to the site in only about 2 and a half months, of non-stop 24/7 roving at 30m/h. I imagine meetings will be going on about this possibility.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2015, 05:55:44 PM »
Found this great thread on Reddit, check out the AskScience thread linked there: https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/3mphy1/nasa_announcement_mega_thread_nasa_reports/

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2015, 06:05:50 PM »
This is a major announcement, and one I hope will change the mission objectives for the 2020 rover, and probably future human expeditions to the planet. Although it's very salty, water in liquid form would be very useful to humans when they visit.

including humans who visit the planet (which will be happening soon, likely in the 2020's)
Interested by this. Do you mean that MarsOne thing that people are now confident is a hoax, or an actual NASA/ESA/CSA/Roscosmos/JAXA mission? I know NASA is planning on sending humans in the 2040s because they aren't getting the funding they need to go to Mars, so 2020s seems like a bit of a push.

I've done some research on this though. The water was found only 50km away from where the Curiosity rover is now. The wikipedia article claims it can go up to 90 metres per hour, but has an average speed of 30 metres per hour. Assuming the team behind it want to, it's possible they could get to the site in only about 2 and a half months, of non-stop 24/7 roving at 30m/h. I imagine meetings will be going on about this possibility.

I've heard a lot of talk of sending humans to Mars in the 20s, though not NASA specifically, but I might have my years off slightly. We're certainly capable of doing it with the right funding. Especially with how SpaceX is advancing so damn quickly, 20s seems very possible with the will and the drive to go there. No I'm not talking about the hoax thingy, I never paid much attention to that weird company, but I'll research this more and get back to you.

As for water near Curiosity, there's also some possible evidence of these same water flows nearer to the rover in the Gale Crater (unless that's what you're referring to), which it could potentially visit. They are already talking about maybe using the rover to go visit that.

Offline stevinator6

• Brand New Poster
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2015, 10:09:20 PM »
The first 4 humans are meant to land on mars in 2027

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 1 October 2015, 01:55:33 AM »
The first 4 humans are meant to land on mars in 2027
Source?

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 1 October 2015, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 5 October 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3nljsy/were_nasas_real_martians_working_to_send_humans/

NASA is aiming 2030s, but NASA ain't the only ones in the game anymore.

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 6 October 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
is there water on earth????

Offline MossyPaws

• Member of Parliament