Author Topic: What Do You Think the 1.9 Update Means for Minecraft?  (Read 7518 times)

Offline zippydragon (OP)

• Brand New Poster
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
What Do You Think the 1.9 Update Means for Minecraft?
« on: 7 October 2015, 07:15:37 PM »
I'm just a little curious on how people think this will alter Minecraft - for good or for bad.
Personally, I'm excited for this update, just like I always am. There are some doubts for me though. Sure, it's absolutely WRECKING the sandbox feel of Minecraft, but now PvP will require actual skill instead of //clickclickclickclickclick//
And, if you follow the snapshots, they added a hang glider like thing that allows you to glide when you find it in the end! Personally I think it's really cool, now the end has gained more purpose than just a single boss fight and some endstone. ;)
Tell me what you guys think!

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
Re: What Do You Think the 1.9 Update Means for Minecraft?
« Reply #1 on: 7 October 2015, 07:50:41 PM »
shitty update its changing the game WAY to much

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 October 2015, 02:01:16 AM »
shitty update its changing the game WAY to much
I agree

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 8 October 2015, 02:07:59 AM »
Like all Minecraft updates, I read the plans http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.9 and can only welcome the changes. I never understand the resistance to updates. Many of the changes seem to improve some of the worst parts of the game (combat, boats, the end, unoptimized laggy code), some of which should have been improved months or years ago.

Overall it adds more to the game by substantially improving combat from a stupid jump and click fest to a combat system with some dynamic aspects like shields. It makes boats better because you now row them with an oar. It makes The End something worth visiting, rather than the unfinished empty husk it has been for so long. It fixes some obviously shitty code that causes everyone who plays the game to lag (How some of this stuff wasn't fixed years ago is hilarious). And it adds more creatures, blocks, decorations, and items to enjoy. Still no modification support, it should be noted.

I'll admit I have not looked at any videos or tried any snapshots or anything, just read the planned patch notes.

zippy,
What do you mean it's absolutely wrecking the sandbox feel?

octo n luis,
how so?

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 8 October 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
I'm normally fine with updates. And with 1.9, I'm fine with the changes to the end, and with the boats, and I like the dual hand thing, and the new command blocks and many command/NBT features are amazing, and the potions look great too. I just don't really like the new combat mechanics. For me, the whole "recharging" thing doesn't seem good, and I don't like how now things have a different attribute to time and damage. It just makes it too complicated, and too RPG-y. The shields are nice, but they're a bit awkward to use, and don't really work well in battle. I'm still a bit iffy about the glider thing. The one in FTB packs works great, so I'll be happy if it works like that. If you have loads of movement though, or can use it to go up, I think it'll be too op. On the plus side, all particles are now the same entity, which means we can have a few billion without lagging :)

It's mainly the changes to combat and armour I don't like. They don't really fit the game, and it seems like it's taking too much like other RPG style games.

Although, boats seem better, at long last!

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 8 October 2015, 01:42:29 PM »
What's the whole "recharging" thing you mentioned? And what do you mean by different attribute to time and damage? I haven't checked out the new combat beyond reading the notes. It just sounded like they were making it less of a clickspam combat system by adding some dynamic stuff to do, which is welcomed by me, but I wouldn't put it past mojang to fuck it up, so please enlighten me.

I read in the notes that the glider can only go up until it stalls. I guess it doesn't produce thrust, which is probably for the best.

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 8 October 2015, 03:37:54 PM »
When you hit with any tool, it needs "recharging" so to say. Until it has done this, it will produce less damage, and will produce almost no damage when spam clicked or just held. It's a bit annoying, as although not being able to spam click is a good thing, you often have to wait a good second or two before hitting again. This can be changed on a per-itemstack basis with NBT data though, so we might be able to do things like faster swords at the market (not confirmed).

For the time damage attributes, each item has a value of max damage, and the time you need to let it recharge to obtain this damage. Enchantments also play a part in this. It is summarised briefly on your linked wiki page, and ethoslab also investigates it here. I expect there are some more videos talking a bit more about it. Essentially, now you have to consider what has the lowest speed, highest damage (or just damage per second), how enchantments affect this and whether enchantments would make another tier of tool better, and how different tools have different speeds/damages.

I might just be over complicating it, but I don't really like it. It seems too much like it's to make PVP minigames more interesting.

I've tried the glider. It's amazing, and has loads of control, but not too much for it to be OP. Boats are strange though. You need to actually use opposite oars to move, and use both oars to go forward. I might not be doing it right, but it seems they're harder to control and slower than before. They don't break though (or I just wasn't going fast enough to break them), come in a range of colours for the different woods, require shovel(s) to make them, and can have up to 2 entities, including players. They'll take some getting used to imo.

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 9 October 2015, 11:54:06 AM »
Gliders are cool, heres a few screenshots of PVP.. not to much else really caught my eye though (love how smoothly the game runs now though)

bob131573

« Reply #8 on: 6 November 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
I was playing around with the snapshot today, and i wanted to share a few aspects that i thought were nice.
Here is my (hopefully helpful) review:
First thing is the elytra (Glider). The elytra is the new glider in 1.9. It allows you to glide on a slowly descending course for the ground. It adds a flying aspect to survival. As ako said it does not produce thrust but there is a glitch where you fly at a 45 degree angle and back up but they will probably fix that.
It is aquired through a flying boat in the end that you invade (There are "guards") and take it. This may not be of use to vc because it's worlds are already generated or mabye not. But anyway, they are very nice and fancy, this one makes me look godly:

I don't understand the pvp? i didn't see the sheild slot or sheild item. What do you mean about that?
Another aspect is the boats. The new ones have "paddles" and are crafted with the usual boat pattern in crafting table, but with a wooden shovel in the middle.
It adds some physics to the game (The physics being you propel with the paddles). The other good thing about it that many will like is that you can take an animal (Pig) on the boat with you. It's slower but stronger than the old boats, and the old boats are removed from the game. This is another aspect i love about it.
You can hold stuff in both hands at the same time, right next to your armor slots in your inventory. Here are some other things i saw:
Map in end improved
Gapple crafting removed (as far as i know, they could add it back)(Still acquired in creative)
Elytras DO NOT BREAK but when they run out of health stop working.
New arsenal of arrows
Approximate flight length of elytra: 7 minutes 10 seconds
New item "End crystals". I have no idea what they are used for nor how they are acquired
NEW ITEMS:
End rod (Puts out light)
Purpur pillar
Purpur block
Purpur stairs
Chorus flower
Chorus plant
Popped chorus fruit
Chorus fruit
End stone bricks
Beetroot seeds
Beetroot
FUCKING END DRAGON HEADS
I MEAN LOOK AT THAT

So hot (Probably will be worth hundreds of thousands on vc)
This is my review on it, and some info about it, (I got all my information by scrolling through my inventory so correct me if i missed something)
I hope this gave you some info on 1.9 and what to expect when it comes out
                            Tvm, Tikko
#vc4lyfe

« Last Edit: 6 November 2015, 06:05:37 PM by bob131573 »

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 6 November 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
This may not be of use to vc because it's worlds are already generated or mabye not.
The end should auto-convert so we can get them, as it does in vanilla. Although this is MC, so who knows what will happen.

Gapple crafting removed (as far as i know, they could add it back)(Still acquired in creative)
Just Notch apples, which are still around in dungeons etc. Regular ones are still craftable. Get stocking up on them guys!

Kinda. It also depends on the height you fall from, and the angle you fly at. If you aim further down, you'll go for less time. There's some semi-realistic physics mechanics that I'm sure you could use (or use the mechanics other people have found) to work with it

New item "End crystals". I have no idea what they are used for nor how they are acquired
They're made with an eye of ender in middle, ghost tear in bottom mid, and glass elsewhere. 4 of them on the end portal will respawn the dragon, so you don't have to keep asking us to do things. See, now you have to actually do things rather that just get us to spawn dragons in for you! Honestly, you're all so lazy! </sarcasm>

Probably will be worth hundreds of thousands on vc
I expect unless we sell things, they'll probably be about the same value as the elytra, considering they're both only generated in the new end temples

so correct me if i missed something
There's two new enchantments only available through dungeons / trading. Mending, which mends your tools / armour whenever you collect XP, and Water Walker, which turns water into a temporary ice around you when you walk on it. And the elytra will change texture if you have a cape. You missed one of the best features though. New command blocks! They're so amazing, and can do so much, and I need to try and persuade Ako to let me use them without breaking things.

Oh, and I like your use of font. Force Unicode is an amazing option. :D

bob131573

« Reply #10 on: 6 November 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
This may not be of use to vc because it's worlds are already generated or mabye not.
The end should auto-convert so we can get them, as it does in vanilla. Although this is MC, so who knows what will happen.

Just Notch apples, which are still around in dungeons etc. Regular ones are still craftable. Get stocking up on them guys!

Kinda. It also depends on the height you fall from, and the angle you fly at. If you aim further down, you'll go for less time. There's some semi-realistic physics mechanics that I'm sure you could use (or use the mechanics other people have found) to work with it

They're made with an eye of ender in middle, ghost tear in bottom mid, and glass elsewhere. 4 of them on the end portal will respawn the dragon, so you don't have to keep asking us to do things. See, now you have to actually do things rather that just get us to spawn dragons in for you! Honestly, you're all so lazy! </sarcasm>

I expect unless we sell things, they'll probably be about the same value as the elytra, considering they're both only generated in the new end temples

so correct me if i missed something
There's two new enchantments only available through dungeons / trading. Mending, which mends your tools / armour whenever you collect XP, and Water Walker, which turns water into a temporary ice around you when you walk on it. And the elytra will change texture if you have a cape. You missed one of the best features though. New command blocks! They're so amazing, and can do so much, and I need to try and persuade Ako to let me use them without breaking things.

Oh, and I like your use of font. Force Unicode is an amazing option. :D
The end dragon respawning will be of use, as end dragons only spawn once so that's nice.
I read about the frost walker, but i never caught onto it, If the coding for that ice is the same as reg. ice then all ice would melt, or that might be biomes or something.
What can you do in new command blocks that you cannot do in old ones? Also i vote u use them as long as you blow up at least 2 villages in the process (Mainly my enemies)
Personally, force unicode is much better than regular. I went back to regular once and the text size was so large i almost threw up. Force unicode is ultimately superior

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 6 November 2015, 06:22:32 PM »
Maybe it's my resolution, but force unicode was WAY too small to play with.

Regular font is insanely awful though, like some of the worst font I've ever seen in a video game, massive and ugly. I want a middle ground.

And thanks for the info on the update :)

bob131573

« Reply #12 on: 7 November 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
Quote from: Akomine
Force unicode is WAY to small to play with.
Once you get used to it, it's really easy to use.
Quote from: Luisc99
Elytra's flight length depends on the height you fall from, and the angle you fly at.
I meant how long they went before you had to recharge them, before they stopped working.
Quote from: Luisc99
Quote from:  bob131573
expect unless we sell things, they'll probably be about the same value as the elytra, considering they're both only generated in the new end temples
I think they should be at least a few thousand and SHOULD be sold in the market :D

bob131573

« Reply #13 on: 7 November 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
I was playing around with the boats a little bit more, and i found out a few things.
They DO NOT drift
Mobs CAN NOT push them
You can no longer look backwards while going forwards
ALL non-hostile mobs fit neatly in a boat

As you can see here, there are boats of all different colors, you can now make them out of all types of wood planks
You can also see the oars on the boat that propel you
And you can see me riding with animals
I look so great
But anyway, animals (Including horses :D ) Can now ride in the boat with you
This might be my favorite aspect of the update besides Elytra and Pvp
And here's another picture of me looking godly in the Elytra

« Last Edit: 7 November 2015, 08:12:29 AM by bob131573 »

Lividup64

« Reply #14 on: 7 November 2015, 08:36:49 AM »
I was playing around with the boats a little bit more, and i found out a few things.
They DO NOT drift
Mobs CAN NOT push them

As you can see here, there are boats of all different colors, you can now make them out of all types of wood planks
I look so great

Netat review , could you maybe explain how boats work now?  Are they slower or faster. ?

bob131573

« Reply #15 on: 7 November 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
They DO NOT drift
Mobs CAN NOT push them

I look so great

Netat review , could you maybe explain how boats work now?  Are they slower or faster. ?
They are slightly slower, you press left key to turn left instead of moving your body, and press right key to move right instead of moving your body. You press both keys at the same time to move forward, and you no longer can move backwards, but you can turn around. You can ride with 1 animal in the boat behind you at a time, so it would be good for transporting mobs.
<3

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 7 November 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
What can you do in new command blocks that you cannot do in old ones? Also i vote u use them as long as you blow up at least 2 villages in the process (Mainly my enemies)
They can have conditional and ever repeating things, which means now what used to be massive command block messes can be shortened down to only a couple of adjacent ones. And there's a few new commands and scoreboard and nbt things which make them really cool.

I meant how long they went before you had to recharge them, before they stopped working.
Ah, right. I misunderstood :)

They are slightly slower, you press left key to turn left instead of moving your body, and press right key to move right instead of moving your body. You press both keys at the same time to move forward, and you no longer can move backwards, but you can turn around. You can ride with 1 animal in the boat behind you at a time, so it would be good for transporting mobs.
<3
Slightly?! They're much slower. Other than that and their ever so slight difficulty to control they'd be great. Also, I *think* they can transport any mob. Not sure though.

bob131573

« Reply #17 on: 7 November 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Ah, right. I misunderstood :)

<3
Slightly?! They're much slower. Other than that and their ever so slight difficulty to control they'd be great. Also, I *think* they can transport any mob. Not sure though.
They are much slower, but once you get to a certain speed it works perfectly.
If you wanted to transport any mob they would try to kill you so that's not much of a difference :)

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
Also just pointing out, with commands you can spawn the new End Gateway blocks anywhere you like, and they can teleport you to any coordinated you like. Might be useful for somethings maybe. Cough cough hint hint @Akomine @tenretni :)