Author Topic: Proposal: VillageCraft Outlands Update  (Read 11079 times)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
Proposal: VillageCraft Outlands Update
« on: 9 October 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
VillageCraft Outlands Update

Hey there,

We'd like to propose an update to VillageCraft that makes the Outlands a bit more adventure-like. This is intended to make the Outlands more challenging and more worthwhile, and makes owning a Village a little more rewarding. Alongside this, there will be new custom items with special attributes for players to use, as well as a loot system where you are rewarded with items for killing things. We want to give fair warning and then let everyone beta test this update on the server for a few weeks, so you can give us your feedback.

How we'd like to do this:

1. Change where you can teleport from:
   > Teleporting while in the Outlands is blocked (unless you have a Scroll of Town Portal).
   > Teleporting while in a village is still fully possible and has not changed at all.

2. Add a special item:
   > A Scroll of Town Portal (STP) is found from killing mobs, and can be used to teleport from anywhere in the Outlands.
   > The Scrolls of Town Portal come in 7 tiers, where I is the worst and VII is the best; players can trade and sell them freely.

3. Add a loot system:
   > Killing mobs now has a chance to drop a variety of items, far beyond what Minecraft normally offers, making the Outlands more worthwhile.
   > The loot system, called RandomDrops, is fully customizable so we can tailor the loot on VillageCraft as time goes on into something well-balanced and interesting.

So,
We would do this by adding 3 new custom plugins that will be exclusive to VillageCraft. Each plugin is designed so that they can work hand-in-hand with eachother to make the server a more interesting place. You can read about them below.

VillageCraft is a unique server, and we'd like to make the experience of venturing between Villages and into the Outlands a little bit more distinct. More of an adventure. A journey. A little tougher, but with loot rewards for doing it. Using a Scroll of Town Portal will still get you back to safety, but it puts emphasis on the fact that you are indeed out in the wild; the scroll is just another tool in your kit.

The scrolls will become a new piece of gear for venturing around the server - you can buy/sell/trade them to other players freely, you can find them popping out of the dead corpses of evil creatures, and you can use them at your will with a quick command or the click of your mouse. Without one, you'll be playing the game of survival (isn't that what Minecraft is all about?). And don't worry: You can still teleport from within any village as per usual, even to a friend who is in the Outlands.

Try it out in the beta and let us know what you think!

-------

Update Log - VillageCraft Outlands Update
Adds 3 custom plugins: "Outlands", "RandomDrops", & "Scroll of Town Portal".

Outlands Plugin:
> Block teleporting while not in a village.
   > Exceptions: Players who use a Scroll of Town Portal, Ops, anyone with exemption permission (vcmod.outlands.exempt).

RandomDrops Plugin:
> When you kill a mob, random items will drop as loot 10% of the time.
> The actual chance for a specific item to drop is relative, based on how many items are in the RandomDrops database and all of their 'drop chance weights'.
   > All items have a configurable drop chance weight from between 1 - 32,000.
   > The RandomDrops database can be changed over time to make the loot balanced and fun.

Scroll of Town Portal Plugin:
> Adds Scroll of Town Portal (STP) items that can be used to teleport out of the Outlands.
   > There are 7 tiers of scrolls with I being the worst and VII being the best.
   > Teleports you to Qualia.
> Right clicking on a scroll activates it and teleports you.
   > Typing "/stp!" will execute the best scroll in your inventory.
   > Typing "/stp" will execute the worst scroll in your inventory.
> Scrolls will override the Outlands plugin, thus you can teleport while in the Outlands at any time by using a Scroll of Town Portal.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2016, 01:57:23 PM by Akomine »

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
Re: Proposal: VillageCraft Outlands Update
« Reply #1 on: 9 October 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
We'll likely start the beta in the next week.

Offline ChaosMushrooms

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • ckiens
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 9 October 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
cool

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile

Lividup64

« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2015, 05:21:39 AM »
I like this idea, I think that the scrolls bring something new to the table. I'm just wondering if the tiers do affect VIP's too, or if they're excluded. I was also wondering about the worth of the tiers as Noket said that they won't be sold in the market. ^_^

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2015, 02:11:31 PM »
I like this idea, I think that the scrolls bring something new to the table. I'm just wondering if the tiers do affect VIP's too, or if they're excluded. I was also wondering about the worth of the tiers as Noket said that they won't be sold in the market. ^_^

Thanks, glad you like the idea.

Scrolls have nothing to do with VIPs. It all matters on which tier of STP you use.

We won't be putting them in the market right now, so that we can better figure out the drop chances and let the community determine the values of the items on their own. Naturally, the higher tiers are worth more, but I can't put a number on it yet.

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2015, 11:07:42 PM »
  • Scrolls hotbar searching problem has been fixed.
  • RandomDrops now has quantity support.
  • Implemented a new command to use with Scrolls. Tested, works as intended without bugs as far as I can tell.
  • Fixed a few minor bugs.

Should be ready for release.

Offline Lycoris

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Artificially Intelligent Data Anomaly
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
So, Do the scrolls teleport you or do you have to type a command to teleport?

If the scrolls teleport you, What benefits do VIP's get now that the Teleport cool-down/delay isn't really a thing?

Or can the scrolls be ajusted so that VIP's don't have a teleport cool-down?

Swatted away by the world, I was atop an incredibly thin needle.
I was using the tips of my fingers to balance,
But it wasn’t until they touched you that I learned I wasn’t alone;
That alone bestowed upon me these crooked wings.
“What do you want to accomplish between life and death,” I asked,
But all you did was laugh, like an angel.
Weaving through the spaces of the hordes of buildings burning in the summer heat,
We’ll eventually descend, pulling that trigger at the very end.
And winter will cover everything.

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2015, 12:33:56 AM »
So, Do the scrolls teleport you or do you have to type a command to teleport?

If the scrolls teleport you, What benefits do VIP's get now that the Teleport cool-down/delay isn't really a thing?

Or can the scrolls be ajusted so that VIP's don't have a teleport cool-down?

The scrolls teleport you, which you can do by using the item or typing a command. We decided to leave it up to you how you use it.

This only effects the outlands, teleporting in regions is unchanged, so VIPs still get their perk. Everyone needs a scroll to teleport in the Outlands, regardless of donor status. That's how it is currently at least.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2015, 12:38:48 AM by Akomine »

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2015, 12:34:52 AM »
The Outlands Update is now live on the server as a beta test. Please test it and give feedback if you so desire.

Cue hateposts:
« Last Edit: 23 October 2015, 12:50:58 AM by Akomine »

Lividup64

« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2015, 04:29:24 AM »
Cool,  I've been waiting to test ithe out! :D

bob131573

« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2015, 07:56:43 AM »
Fuck you he wanted hateposts

Lividup64

« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2015, 07:59:45 AM »

If you have nothing productive to post, why post at all?

bob131573

Re: Proposal: VillageCraft Outlands Updatetrgwwth
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2015, 08:11:30 AM »

Because i think that he wanted hateposts

Offline luisc99

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2015, 09:02:06 AM »
Cue hateposts:

Ako, this is a terrible idea. Do you seriously expect me to go out and kill mobs like some sort of peasant just so I can teleport to my solid gold mansion? What is the world coming to?
Serious though, I like the idea. Makes it more interesting, and might bring some much-needed love to the railway. I'll prepare my response for those people who will inevitably ignore all notices about it, and then complain they can't teleport places.

Lividup64

Re: Proposal: VillageCraft Outlands Updatetrgwwth
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2015, 10:19:58 AM »

Response was rude and using gay as an insult is immature.

Offline zippydragon

• Brand New Poster
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2015, 01:01:21 PM »
I would just like to put out there - if you are in the wilderness, and your town isn't complete and is MILES AWAY, you can't get supplies. It's kind of annoying in my humble opinion. I liked the simplicity of just being able to tpa around with no exceptions.
Also the fact that I'm grounded under my sky village that is hundreds upon hundreds of blocks away from other villages and I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE D:<

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2015, 02:46:51 PM »
I would just like to put out there - if you are in the wilderness, and your town isn't complete and is MILES AWAY, you can't get supplies. It's kind of annoying in my humble opinion. I liked the simplicity of just being able to tpa around with no exceptions.
Also the fact that I'm grounded under my sky village that is hundreds upon hundreds of blocks away from other villages and I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE D:<

Thanks for the feedback.

This was considered, and it's part of why we added STPs. New players will likely be given free STPs, and experienced players will be able to acquire them fairly easily you'd think. Furthermore, you can kill monsters in the outlands for loot. STPs can be found as loot.

Thus, if you're truly stranded, kill stuff (and survive the wilderness).

Oh, and if you're stranded right now, coming online to learn of this update, we can give you a free STP.

bob131573

« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2015, 05:10:59 PM »

Response was rude and using gay as an insult is immature.
k

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 October 2015, 01:39:41 PM »
To further elucidate how the plugin works:

Mob spawners will not work for creating RandomDrops loot. Only naturally spawned mobs will produce RandomDrops, and they are:
            EntityType.BAT.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.BLAZE.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.CREEPER.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.ENDERMAN.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.GHAST.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.MAGMA_CUBE.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.OCELOT.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.PIG_ZOMBIE.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.SILVERFISH.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.SKELETON.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.SLIME.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.SPIDER.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.WITCH.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.WITHER.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.WOLF.equals(deadEntityType)
            || EntityType.ZOMBIE.equals(deadEntityType))

Edit by akomine for clarity.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2015, 03:13:13 PM by Akomine »

Offline pkorus

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
  • Have no fear Phil is here!
    • View profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
Sorry for bringing this topic back, but in my opinion I dislike The Town Portal Scrolls section of the Outlands update.
I tried it but when you're building a village or gathering resources, and have to go drop something off quickly its really annoying to wait for the scroll to "load", and then teleport from the portal to the place you wanted to go in the first place. You end up losing the place you were teleporting from because /back would take you to Qualia. Overall it feels like the VIP perks of instant teleporation are negated by the town portal scrolls as I feel like most times I end up in outlands, and not a protected region.
Finally I feel like most of the scrolls I get, I get through the starter kit, as I usually dont go around killing mobs, so I end up running out of scrolls quickly.
Привет, товарищ

сука шлюха

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2016, 09:24:21 PM »
Sorry for bringing this topic back, but in my opinion I dislike The Town Portal Scrolls section of the Outlands update.
I tried it but when you're building a village or gathering resources, and have to go drop something off quickly its really annoying to wait for the scroll to "load", and then teleport from the portal to the place you wanted to go in the first place. You end up losing the place you were teleporting from because /back would take you to Qualia. Overall it feels like the VIP perks of instant teleporation are negated by the town portal scrolls as I feel like most times I end up in outlands, and not a protected region.
Finally I feel like most of the scrolls I get, I get through the starter kit, as I usually dont go around killing mobs, so I end up running out of scrolls quickly.

No need to be sorry, we want feedback and really don't have enough of it to be honest.

We added a command to do exactly what you want: /stpback
We should do a better job of advertising it.

As for the VIP perk of instant teleportation, it does still exist wherever you can teleport, as you know, so we haven't tried to negate it. However in our effort to make scrolls a part of the outlands update, it made no sense for VIPs to be able to bypass the feature, but I understand your criticism.

We're interested in creating more ways to get scrolls other than the kit and killing mobs. We've talked about some ideas, please suggest any you might have.

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline KingNurtul

• Staff Member
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 10
  • big old Nurtul Turtle
    • View profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 January 2016, 04:46:59 PM »

No need to be sorry, we want feedback and really don't have enough of it to be honest.

We added a command to do exactly what you want: /stpback
We should do a better job of advertising it.

As for the VIP perk of instant teleportation, it does still exist wherever you can teleport, as you know, so we haven't tried to negate it. However in our effort to make scrolls a part of the outlands update, it made no sense for VIPs to be able to bypass the feature, but I understand your criticism.

We're interested in creating more ways to get scrolls other than the kit and killing mobs. We've talked about some ideas, please suggest any you might have.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well I don't know if it is possible, but maybe people could "buy" scrolls with exp? You could buy higher tier with more levels, and this would still make people do something to get their stps, but they could raise cows or mine if they weren't interested in killing mobs for scrolls.
My advice to everyone else on this server:
I encourage you all to make something of your lives. I implore you not to waste your "glory days" in front of a computer screen like I did. Go out into the world, but do not live like everyone else. Strive to stand above and bring the others up with your knowledge and hard work.-Kovos Datch

jokes are no longer allowed on Villagecraft.-Anonymous(Aug. 2020)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 January 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
Well I don't know if it is possible, but maybe people could "buy" scrolls with exp? You could buy higher tier with more levels, and this would still make people do something to get their stps, but they could raise cows or mine if they weren't interested in killing mobs for scrolls.

This is possible, and it's an interesting suggestion. It means even miners can buy scrolls from their exp.

One thing we've tried to avoid, however, is standing at a farm just collecting scrolls. Farms are already overpowered, and there's essentially nothing we can do about it (unless we outlaw them - which is a lame solution), and we didn't want to make them just that much more overpowered.

Interesting idea though, worth considering.