18 (64.3%)
No, stay medium
9 (32.1%)
No, lower it to easy
0 (0%)
Abstain
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Should the server difficulty be set to Hard?  (Read 9096 times)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
Should the server difficulty be set to Hard?
« on: 29 October 2015, 09:58:53 PM »
It's currently medium/normal. Some people seem to want more mobs to kill, among a few other things.

Give your opinion and vote in this poll to explore the idea.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Re: Should the server difficulty be set to Hard?
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
A lot of people like it hard, eh?

Witchdoctor1

« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2015, 09:27:07 PM »
A lot of people like it hard, eh?
They take after your mom.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 2 November 2015, 02:00:20 AM »

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2015, 01:18:50 PM »
Is this parliament vote finalized?

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2015, 05:00:21 PM »

As is standard procedure, a parl vote is advertised in-game, and made very clear what it will do. The thread would also say that it's a parliament vote. This is simple enough that we could probably just take this as a majority and do it, but I was just using this as an exploratory/suggestion thread.

I'll make a proper parl vote and advertise it in-game.

Edit:
And actually I think this thread has a lack of debate, which I usually prefer to see before a proper parliament vote.

Two concerns: You can die of hunger on hard, while you will only drain to 1/2 heart on medium. Furthermore, hunger drains too quickly in Minecraft nowadays.

I like that hard makes the game harder, but I don't like how Minecraft deals with hunger. I think we should do something about the hunger problem if we go hard (as it looks like a lot of people want to do). What can we do?
« Last Edit: 11 December 2015, 05:13:16 PM by Akomine »

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2015, 08:25:35 PM »

As is standard procedure, a parl vote is advertised in-game, and made very clear what it will do. The thread would also say that it's a parliament vote. This is simple enough that we could probably just take this as a majority and do it, but I was just using this as an exploratory/suggestion thread.

Edit:
And actually I think this thread has a lack of debate, which I usually prefer to see before a proper parliament vote.

Two concerns: You can die of hunger on hard, while you will only drain to 1/2 heart on medium. Furthermore, hunger drains too quickly in Minecraft nowadays.

I like that hard makes the game harder, but I don't like how Minecraft deals with hunger. I think we should do something about the hunger problem if we go hard (as it looks like a lot of people want to do). What can we do?

I can write a plugin which keeps players at half a heart. The server code controls health, and I control the server code. We can still have the benefits of hard, while preventing starvation.

On a side note: How do you feel about daytime lasting 6 hours (like in real life) and the remaining 6 hours being nighttime? I think this would add a more interesting perspective to your average server which has 10 minute day night cycles.

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2015, 08:33:36 PM »

Edit:

I can write a plugin which keeps players at half a heart. The server code controls health, and I control the server code. We can still have the benefits of hard, while preventing starvation.

On a side note: How do you feel about daytime lasting 6 hours (like in real life) and the remaining 6 hours being nighttime? I think this would add a more interesting perspective to your average server which has 10 minute day night cycles.

dast a cool idea, but I wonder what about people in different time zones, I'm thinking they might be forced to stay in day/night because that's the only time to get online.

Plus, (this is just a question purely curiosity), but, even when the server controls the health of a player, what about if a player is say, on 2 hearts, and get's hit and takes 3 hearts damage, wouldn't the client put them into a death state, or must it get confirmation from the server first?

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2015, 09:04:21 PM »

Edit:

dast a cool idea, but I wonder what about people in different time zones, I'm thinking they might be forced to stay in day/night because that's the only time to get online.

Plus, (this is just a question purely curiosity), but, even when the server controls the health of a player, what about if a player is say, on 2 hearts, and get's hit and takes 3 hearts damage, wouldn't the client put them into a death state, or must it get confirmation from the server first?

That, good sir, is what planning is for :)

I'll probably watch for damage events (ideally, starving damage). Then determine whether the cause of damage was via starvation, or an entity. If it's starvation .. I'll probably increment the food bar by 1 point .. preventing death (but keeping them very close to it)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2015, 11:43:50 PM »
perhaps 6 hours is extreme?

I like the idea of extending the cycles, maybe double or triple the length?

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
i'm not a fan of extending the time cycles, and i also don't like the idea of changing hard mode hunger to leave you with some health if you starve. kind of makes it, ya know not hard lol.

Offline PengBunny

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 11
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2015, 10:46:09 AM »
even though I'm in creative all the time I think the extension on the day and night cycle would be cool
You know a thread is really bad when PengBunny posts on it.

My daddy is Air

air when the fuck did you do this ^^^

Offline jennilee123

• Member of Parliament
  • Brand New Poster
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2015, 07:12:12 PM »
I like the idea of setting the difficulty to hard, we could maybe try and find a plugin that allows for the difficulty to be changed according to the region. I have discussed with the members of my village and it has been said that we don't like the idea that the day and night cycles should be 6 hrs, sometimes you need night to get mob drops or to set spawn and to do that you'd have to wait, it would also get kinda annoying having to wait for ages for night.

Witchdoctor1

« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2015, 12:03:38 AM »
perhaps 6 hours is extreme?

I like the idea of extending the cycles, maybe double or triple the length?

I also agree that a 6hr day/night cycle is a little excessive. I think there should be a nice medium, such as a 1hr day/night cycle. Most players who play won't be on for 6+hrs straight so collecting mob drops would  be more difficult. I do think that is should be extended somewhat from what it currently is. In fact, I really really would like to see a slightly extended cycle.

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2015, 01:53:07 PM »
My little suggestion package:
- Set difficulty to hard.
- Extend the day/night cycle to 40 or 60 minutes for one complete revolution (default is 20 minutes, 6 hours is too long), whichever feels better.
- Slow down hunger/saturation loss rate (this should be done regardless as it is insane how fast it is - Minecraft didn't used to be like this).
- Prevent starvation death.

Thoughts?

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 December 2015, 02:08:45 PM »
i dont think we should change food mechanics, and also the day light cycle.. it might be hard for people to get scrolls if they are not on at the right time of the day ingame

Offline Noket

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 December 2015, 09:08:36 PM »
- Extend the day/night cycle to 40 or 60 minutes for one complete revolution (default is 20 minutes, 6 hours is too long), whichever feels better.
- Slow down hunger/saturation loss rate (this should be done regardless as it is insane how fast it is - Minecraft didn't used to be like this).

Thoughts?

I like these ideas.

30 minute day, 30 minute night sounds cool.
Slowing hunger would be nice, in addition to starvation death.
Making mobs more dangerous would make things more exciting.

Offline Brutalfive

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 5 January 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
how do u vote pls

Offline KingNurtul

• Staff Member
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 10
  • big old Nurtul Turtle
    • View profile
« Reply #18 on: 5 January 2016, 04:45:11 PM »

Thoughts?

I like these ideas.

30 minute day, 30 minute night sounds cool.
Slowing hunger would be nice, in addition to starvation death.
Making mobs more dangerous would make things more exciting.

Yeah, longer day and night would make it easier to get things done and make the day and night more meaningful- maybe like 45 minutes?
I got on a few days ago and hunger went way too fast, I think slowing hunger would be very helpful
And I like more difficult mobs, it feels wrong when I go scroll hunting with nothing but a sword and some steak
My advice to everyone else on this server:
I encourage you all to make something of your lives. I implore you not to waste your "glory days" in front of a computer screen like I did. Go out into the world, but do not live like everyone else. Strive to stand above and bring the others up with your knowledge and hard work.-Kovos Datch

jokes are no longer allowed on Villagecraft.-Anonymous(Aug. 2020)

EnderEssence

« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2016, 11:51:06 PM »
Maybe not make the difficulty hard per se, but "Medium.5" (a middle ground between Medium and Hard) perhaps? While some increased mob difficulty would be interesting with creepers and skeletons, I'm not too sure if anyone would enjoy that with the Ender Dragon/Wither/Elder Guardians. Something like that should be codeable. While I'm probably nowhere near as experienced with coding as Noket/Luis, I do have a bit of experience with Java and ProcessingJS and could potentially(?) notify you of certain functions that could influence mob behavior without making them too hard to kill (again, thinking of the Ender Dragon, and 1.9 makes him (her?) a bit more difficult to kill). Just a suggestion.

I think we all agree that we should extend the day/night cycle. I'd say 25 minutes is suitable for that. Or, if you REALLY want to be extreme, do 2 minute day/night cycles. Only a thought, but who knows?  ;)

How do you vote again?

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2016, 03:29:15 AM »

How do you vote again?
Hi, just scroll to the top of the thread, pick an option and click submit.