Author Topic: Announcement: Server changes regarding Spigot 1.9  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Noket (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
Announcement: Server changes regarding Spigot 1.9
« on: 21 March 2016, 02:20:49 AM »
This is a formal announcement that the lag spikes seen since 1.9 should be diminished now.

This was accomplished by:
  • Reducing ticks for tiles and entities from 50 and 50 to 20 and 25 ticks, respectively.
  • Reducing the amount of ticks before floating entity despawn from 6000 to 5000 (300 seconds to 250 seconds).
  • Changing hopper behavior to behave more like vanilla

These changes were made with the consideration that entity mechanics were very clearly changed in 1.9.

What does this mean to you?

Basically, it means the server shouldn't lag as much. You might see entities rubber banding, because they're not being given a lot of time to be processed. Ultimately, however, this means that you can continue playing the game without worry about entities causing a ton of lag.

Offline Noket (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 20
    • View profile
Re: Announcement: Server changes regarding Spigot 1.9
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2016, 07:47:55 AM »
Has the lag been any better? I'm in the process of moving to a new apartment.

Thanks

Offline daverator

• Villager
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2016, 12:32:19 AM »
Update:  I'm still seeing hoppers getting stuck.   

Either they wont pull items from a chest or item stream, or they wont pass an item into another inventory.   CDPIV reported similar problems.

Oddly, the problem seems to be related to which chunk the hoppers are in.   For example, I've got a string of hoppers that spans two adjacent chunks.   All the hoppers in the problem chunk are stuck whereas the hoppers in the adjoining chunk all work fine.   

I've been able to fix the stuck hoppers with a remove & replace.   This seems to do a good job fixing them even when I TP to and from the area.    Also I've found I don't even need to replace all the stuck ones.   Turns out that replacing a just a few of them, or none, and then TPing out and back fixes them!

It looks like after the server restart they get stuck again though.

Offline daverator

• Villager
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2016, 12:34:37 AM »
Almost forgot, the lag is very much improved compared to the initial 1.9 update.    Performance seems about the same as when 1.8 was running.

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2016, 03:09:53 PM »
Update:  I'm still seeing hoppers getting stuck.   

Either they wont pull items from a chest or item stream, or they wont pass an item into another inventory.   CDPIV reported similar problems.

Oddly, the problem seems to be related to which chunk the hoppers are in.   For example, I've got a string of hoppers that spans two adjacent chunks.   All the hoppers in the problem chunk are stuck whereas the hoppers in the adjoining chunk all work fine.   

I've been able to fix the stuck hoppers with a remove & replace.   This seems to do a good job fixing them even when I TP to and from the area.    Also I've found I don't even need to replace all the stuck ones.   Turns out that replacing a just a few of them, or none, and then TPing out and back fixes them!

It looks like after the server restart they get stuck again though.

Have you tried just placing and removing blocks or even torches near those hoppers? Sometimes ANY block update slaps the chunk back to life.

Thanks for the feedback

Almost forgot, the lag is very much improved compared to the initial 1.9 update.    Performance seems about the same as when 1.8 was running.

This is good news!

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air