Author Topic: Gold Farm  (Read 3273 times)

Offline hunterpro2343 (OP)

• Brand New Poster
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
Gold Farm
« on: 17 August 2016, 07:52:45 PM »
Hello I have heard from Livid that the farm is creating too many entities. I was wondering what I should do with it. If it is lagging the server too much then I can dismantle it. I would like to know what you guys (admins) and players want done with it. Please let me know! thanks!

Offline Cinder

• New Villager
  • American Born Swede
    • View profile
Re: Gold Farm
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
You do not necessarily have to dismantle it, just scale it back, really. It didn't start until the Animal Room was created (which you showed me and I do understand your reason for it). My suggestion is either move the Animal Farm elsewhere into a different chunk or the farm into a different chunk. Right now, with around two to four thousand entities plus whatever else others have loaded is too much on the server load, or on paper at least it is. If you want to use Fire Falls as your main base, like I said, it wouldn't really hurt to move  one of those farms. The gold farm is a wonderful addition because it is assisting to those who are new and to those who need it.

“The battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, generosity, empathy, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about this for a minute and then asked the grandfather, “Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

- A Cherokee Proverb

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2016, 10:46:50 PM »
Cinder is probably right, when a huge amount of entities are active, especially all in one spot, it seems to cause lag. It's worth trying to alter it to see if it helps things.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

• Brand New Poster
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2016, 01:23:51 AM »
Right okay! Well I will be killing off some of the cows something like 30 per cell. I have also shut off all my automated farms because I think that that is also a key factor for the lag and after I am done the next farm, I will be killing off the 300 villagers I have in storage. I kinda need em for the next farm xD but rn the gold farm is set to auto kill so it wont bunch up the pigmen. But I am considering moving the gold farm to my nether base instead to greatly reduce the entity count in the room. Of course if I do this then I will have to move the warp sign and still be open to the public for those in need of a small boost in money. What do you guys think? There should be no FPS lag in the room anymore except for the entity count, but I will work as fast as I can to complete the final farm. I apologize for cause the server lag as I feel that I may have been the reason for the server shutting down these past few weeks  :-\ sorry!

Offline Cinder

• New Villager
  • American Born Swede
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2016, 01:37:17 AM »
Right okay! Well I will be killing off some of the cows something like 30 per cell. I have also shut off all my automated farms because I think that that is also a key factor for the lag and after I am done the next farm, I will be killing off the 300 villagers I have in storage. I kinda need em for the next farm xD but rn the gold farm is set to auto kill so it wont bunch up the pigmen. But I am considering moving the gold farm to my nether base instead to greatly reduce the entity count in the room. Of course if I do this then I will have to move the warp sign and still be open to the public for those in need of a small boost in money. What do you guys think? There should be no FPS lag in the room anymore except for the entity count, but I will work as fast as I can to complete the final farm. I apologize for cause the server lag as I feel that I may have been the reason for the server shutting down these past few weeks  :-\ sorry!

That's fine, just reduce the entities for now, I believe that's what's lagging everybody, because as I have explained previously: On paper, it makes sense that the server would be lagging because of the entities present in memory (Yours and lets say 50-100 each per chunk loaded by another player.) If you do the math, you can see just how taxing on the system hosting the server it would be, hence causing general lag (@Noket & @luisc99 feel free to correct me here.) However, I do not believe you are responsible for server crashing/downtime etc. The reason for the 5 hour downtime a few days back was due to GroupManager breaking, the server crash today was due to Luis's testing as far as I know (If that is what you are referring to.) As far as moving the gold farm, I think one of the Staff would be happy to move the warp point for you, if you so choose to go ahead with moving it to your nether base as you were speaking of, although I would strongly advise that nothing else so entity-heavy be stored over there as it would lead back to Square One/The same problem.

“The battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, generosity, empathy, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about this for a minute and then asked the grandfather, “Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

- A Cherokee Proverb

• Brand New Poster
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2016, 01:46:29 AM »
I agree with you there Cinder. I just have to do a few testing in the nether world. And I will not have anything else entity heavy there. I will create a new town for it and everything. and I understand what you have told me thanks! But I do feel partially responsible. Anyways I will be working on a nether design right after this and hopefully it will be fully functional as I have no clue if pigmen can spawn in the nether portals in the nether. I am sure they do. Anyways I will begin work on it and I am sorry for straining the server so much lately! I did not consider the amount of lag my projects will produce. 

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2016, 04:44:18 AM »
@Cinder you are correct. When I was there, around a third to a half if all server entities where in the farm, which adds strain to the server as it has to process however many thousands of mobs and their ais. Is recommend sourcing things out a bit more so that not everything is loaded at once, and try and keep the entity count as low as you can make it. :)