Author Topic: Spawn Cap Increase  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Frog (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
  • The Illustrious Pancake of Anitoch
    • View profile
Spawn Cap Increase
« on: 14 May 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
Whenever I am at an Enderman farm I noticed that that the maximum amount of Enderman that would spawn was lower than regular Vanilla Minecraft. I talked to Luis about this and he said that a while back staff changed the mob cap to remove lag associated with mob farms. I would like to start a petition to remove this limiting mob cap and to bring mob farms back to their prior state - able to hit level 30 within a few minutes. Perhaps not so high as too completely lag out the server with entity lag, but enough for farms to function well without them being massive.
I have talked to a few other people and they are onboard with this idea and I believe this would be a good thing for VC. Staff, please consider this request.
~Frog

Offline gerrit70

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 9
  • U all succ
    • View profile
Re: Spawn Cap Increase
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2017, 08:07:51 PM »
How does this help anybody except for the small amount of people that own farms? This does nothing but you guys richer and lag the server.
Guh

I'm a huge faggot and I love sucking airs cock.

It is abysmal that any one person would take try to limit the happiness that Gerrit70 has brought to this dull place.

Free Gerrit70 from his chains!

holy fuck gerrit you're autistic.

Offline Frog (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
How does this help anybody except for the small amount of people that own farms? This does nothing but you guys richer and lag the server.
You misunderstood, this is to make farms more useful and would add more creativity with people and their farms. They would not just have gold/pumpkins farms but would use other forms of farms such as enderman or guardian.

Offline luisc99

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 60
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2017, 08:22:24 PM »
As someone who built a guardian farm and now has about 50 chests of drops, I can tell you the mob cap for then doesn't need upping :P

I'll consider trying to up the others though, maybe. No promises

Offline OctoGamer

• Staff Member | Forum Mod
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 22
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2017, 08:27:46 PM »
As someone who built a guardian farm and now has about 50 chests of drops, I can tell you the mob cap for then doesn't need upping :P

I'll consider trying to up the others though, maybe. No promises
I don't think they need upping either personally, my pigman farm can get up to 300 and my guardian farm is a constant 5 or so every 3 seconds.

Offline Frog (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
With the pigmen it is because they spawn from the portals, perhaps you should not increase the guardians- but please consider increasing the enderman. I can understand if you decide not to increase it, it is not a must.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2017, 08:42:34 PM by Frog »

Offline gerrit70

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • U all succ
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
But it still lags the server and does nothing for people who are not rich.
Guh

It is abysmal that any one person would take try to limit the happiness that Gerrit70 has brought to this dull place.

Offline OctoGamer

• Cheese
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Enderpearls don't sell to well, its mostly for XP I think.

Offline iron_shadow_

• Cheese
  • Am is shudu
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
poorer people on the server can make a profitable farm if they want, there is nothing stopping them
Come get your potions at Shadow's Potion Emporium! Located in Lilypad Forest, Gerelskovy and Jungle bay. They're the cheapest potions on the server!

Offline OctoGamer

• Cheese
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
poorer people on the server can make a profitable farm if they want, there is nothing stopping them
Exactly. Everyone who has huge farms started out with nothing. (For the most part.) Although I don't think the spawn cap needs upping I find your argument very invalid gerrit. Only a select few mob farms are even profitable and the most profitable one only spawns 1 mob every 7 or so minutes depending on how large you make it, this number will change. And even then this farm takes up an incredible ammount of time and space to make.

Offline gerrit70

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • U all succ
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
Like you said, mobs spawn slowly and it wont make a profit for people who dont want to spend hours farming. Farms are not profitable unless they are massive and people with little money cant make a farm that big. Instead of using farms the wasted hours would be put to mcuh better use building villages and railways.
Guh

Offline OctoGamer

• Cheese
  • #vc4lyfe
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2017, 09:07:05 PM »
Like you said, mobs spawn slowly and it wont make a profit for people who dont want to spend hours farming. Farms are not profitable unless they are massive and people with little money cant make a farm that big. Instead of using farms the wasted hours would be put to mcuh better use building villages and railways.
Ender farms are not profitable at all. The cap raise would just be to make XP farms more efficient and more consistent. Enderfarms also don't lag very much because the mobs stop spawning even with a cap because of how many mobs are nearby. At least mine does. "wasted hours" could be put to better things like railways. I'm extending a railway about 3,000 blocks. No player is going to do that, with world edit its taking hours.

Anyway, the spawn cap will most likely not raise. I just didn't seem to think your argument made much sense so thats why I posted earlier. :p

Offline gerrit70

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • U all succ
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2017, 09:33:54 PM »
welp you got me, rip
Guh

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2017, 11:18:08 PM »
Unfortunately spawners/farms are a huge burden on server performance. Caps on these things are pretty much the very first step to avoiding having a laggy server. Minecraft is a poorly coded game (though slowly getting better since Microsoft bought it, it seems), and having a lot of entities bogs it down. Sometimes entities glitch out and clump together, which amazingly can lag the entire server massively. It's so stupid.

There might be some room to increase the cap, but I can't help but not want to. (A few years ago I tried, and there was no perceptible difference in spawn rates, strangely.)

It's also worth noting that MC's mob spawn mechanics are notoriously unreliable on large enough servers, cap or no cap. There are endless complaints on the internet about this crap. There's even bugs that certain co-ordinates or biomes will fuck with spawn rates. It's a messy game.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air