Author Topic: Decreasing the allocated memory for MC  (Read 2706 times)

Kovos_Datch

Decreasing the allocated memory for MC
« on: 10 September 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
I read somewhere that if you decrease the allocated memory for MC it actually improves the functioning of the game. It said to switch the default memory (mine was about 1024 MB) to 256 MB- I was utterly shocked to hear about this.

Well, thanks to MagicLauncher (makes it so easy to change the memory for MC), I tried it out.... and it actually WORKED! I got about 10 more FPS out of it.

Now, the question i pose is: Why? Why does decreasing the memory actually increase the quality of game play?

Second of all, would this be good for a computer? My friend says no... but idk. You would think the computer would be thanking you for the extra memory.

Offline Islid

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • Time Traveller Extraordinare
    • View profile
Re: Decreasing the allocated memory for MC
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2012, 07:57:54 PM »
I'm not exactly sure, but I heard from a computer friend of mine that there is actually an "upper limit" to computer memory that a computer can handle... Eventually, it gets to where the memory mapping of the program itself gets bogged down just with being able to keep track of all of the bits available for it to use, and to keep track of what's inside of them.

No clue, I'm not a computer expert, lol.

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
Becauuuuuuuse...
Minecraft is a badly coded game and a memory hog. It eats memory like Air's mother eats hot dogs.

If you allot lots of memory to Java/MC it can actually bog your computer down and thus the game might run less smoothly. Minecraft should be independent of Java, and I hope they split it from Java somehow so it stops hogging computer resources so much.

You have to experiment with how much memory you give to Java to see how it runs MC.

And no, it's not bad for your computer. There is a cap on how much memory you can give, so nothing would ever really happen.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
I'm not exactly sure, but I heard from a computer friend of mine that there is actually an "upper limit" to computer memory that a computer can handle... Eventually, it gets to where the memory mapping of the program itself gets bogged down just with being able to keep track of all of the bits available for it to use, and to keep track of what's inside of them.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
Alright... so no one knows.....

Offline Islid

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • Time Traveller Extraordinare
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

Okay, I guess I should have expected this, lol.