Author Topic: Attitude on the server..  (Read 15286 times)

Kovos_Datch

Re: Attitude on the server..
« Reply #31 on: 16 September 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
Then the "don't be a douche" rule should not be in place. If you are referring to freedom of speech as stated in the constitution, it is freedom of speech, but you cannot discriminate. That takes away someone else's right as a free individual. Just a thought

First of all, there is /ignore. Second of all, how am I discriminating? I listened to knite, now I am listening to you. I heard your argument and I think it is invalid. Does that mean I am discriminating? No; it means I heard your argument and I think it is foolish. I have not taken away your right at any point in this thread.

You, sir, need to think before you post.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 September 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
Then the "don't be a douche" rule should not be in place. If you are referring to freedom of speech as stated in the constitution, it is freedom of speech, but you cannot discriminate. That takes away someone else's right as a free individual. Just a thought

being discriminatory is not always being a douche. Also you have to remember this server's owners are Canadian and don't follow USA's rules. As long as it stays away from reallife threats and does not keep other people from taking in global I am fine with it. If people are getting near the line I tell them. Also remember you are talking to people from around the world everyone has different views and meanings of words. It is something you need to get use to if you ever want to really see the world.

Offline usrmvm (OP)

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 September 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
kovos, i was not saying "you" as in you personally i mean "you" as in the person speaking, like the person reading the constitution, the people.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #34 on: 17 September 2012, 07:16:58 PM »
kovos, i was not saying "you" as in you personally i mean "you" as in the person speaking, like the person reading the constitution, the people.

Then why not say "one".

Then the "don't be a douche" rule should not be in place. If one is referring to freedom of speech as stated in the constitution, it is freedom of speech, but one cannot discriminate. That takes away someone else's right as a free individual. Just a thought

See? Saying "one" is less personal than saying "you". "You" makes it seem like an attack on someone.

Offline Islid

• Cheese
  • Time Traveller Extraordinare
    • View profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 September 2012, 07:26:37 PM »

Also, it's referring to personal server rules, not the constitution, lol. I guess it could refer to the constitution, but that's awfully country-specific...

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #36 on: 17 September 2012, 10:11:16 PM »

Also, it's referring to personal server rules, not the constitution, lol. I guess it could refer to the constitution, but that's awfully country-specific...

This is true. America has rights stated in Amendments... and Britain has said right in implied areas of government. However, these are only two country out of the many on the face of the Earth. North Korea does not have said rights.... China, to an extent, also do not have said rights.

Sooooooo if we are talking "rights", it becomes a bit controversial.

Offline knitefall

• Cheese
  • Fuck you, fuck you, your cool, fuck you, I am out!
    • View profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 September 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
Can someone lock this? It just became a political argument. Its a rule, shut up about it.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #38 on: 17 September 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
Can someone lock this? It just became a political argument. Its a rule, shut up about it.

Ummm, nobody is arguing here? Islid posed some good points; I posed some good points. We are both stating the same point. I see no argument here.

Offline Akomine

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 September 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Well this is an interesting thread.
I'll add the /ignore command in the tips.

And uh... about this freedom of speech stuff. We uphold it more than most servers seem to. If Knite is trying to get someone to fight him by pissing them off in chat, while it might be seen as sortof douchey by some, it obviously isn't by all. You can be offended all you like, and you make good points, but we can hardly punish him. Use the ignore command if you like.

For what it's worth, the server was established in Canada by Canadians, and if we DID extend rights guaranteed in Canada to the server, it wouldn't be that of the US, but from the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2:

-------
Fundamental freedoms
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.
-------

We basically already follow this on the server, without a guarantee. Canada also protects against hate speech when it is intended to cause real harm (excludes being "offended"), which we have actually enforced in the past.
Feel free to let staff know if someone has gone too far.

But to your actual point, usrmvm;
Yes, I can see that new players might be turned off from people talking shit in chat. But whatever, maybe you require a thicker skin to be on a server that has open speech. I get the concern, and appreciate you bringing it up here. Maybe save trash talking to try to get someone to PVP you for private messages or the PVP chat channel (I think we still have one).
« Last Edit: 17 September 2012, 11:44:24 PM by Akomine »

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 September 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
No one else seems to care. You could also just ignore me
The point is new joiners won't know that

? /ignore is very common command, and if this has anything to do with swear words you should read the tunnel again.
Well you do get people who have went on a server the first time and it is this one and i play servers and i diden know ignore worked and people do over react and get upset

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #41 on: 18 September 2012, 12:08:12 PM »

? /ignore is very common command, and if this has anything to do with swear words you should read the tunnel again.
Well you do get people who have went on a server the first time and it is this one and i play servers and i diden know ignore worked and people do over react and get upset

Could you re-write this with correct grammar in a coherent manner so we can understand what you are saying? Or is precise English too much to ask for from a native English speaker? (Yes, English is Cats' first language. I know this because i asked).

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 September 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
Lolwut i only said that as some people are not english thats why i said i could not be any what i don't care

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 September 2012, 08:20:18 PM »

Signs of someone who does not control their emotions and has not been out in the real world.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #44 on: 18 September 2012, 09:41:25 PM »

Signs of someone who does not control their emotions and has not been out in the real world.

I don't know about that. I think there is an argument here that someone who has been out in the real world long enough could become very emotional.

Yes people more often than not become jaded and apathetic, but there are those few that actually become more caring and more "upset" about the real world. Those people are more likely to change the world- either for better or worse.

Now this is not to say that most people that log onto the server are the "caring, worldly" people. I, too, believe what you are saying. I mean, how many people in the 6 odd million people that actually bought the game are older than 30? Probably not that many. The people logging onto the server are, more likely than not, little 12-15 year old kids that have no idea how to handle themselves on the internet let alone real life.

I'm not really arguing here so much as just taking a different view on it. My idea, yes, is a bit far fetched.... but it doesn't mean it isn't plausible (however I have yet to actually see this happen).

Offline Lycoris

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Artificially Intelligent Data Anomaly
    • View profile
Re: Another reason to complain about the server
« Reply #45 on: 20 September 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
I find knitefalls PVP attitude to be a very fun and interesting part of the server.
If everyone was just building and there was no violence it would be a junky server. At least we have people making an effort to go fight someone.
If you are worried about attitude then I would refer to CJ's post. We probably don't need people who can't take a little witty banter or few arguments.
However I joined this server as my first server, So I had no knowledge of the /ignore function at first.
Even so, If a person cannot read the rules and just complains they shouldn't have any need to stay on this server.

I rate this thread,
A
1 out of 5
« Last Edit: 20 September 2012, 12:11:34 PM by Lycoris »

Swatted away by the world, I was atop an incredibly thin needle.
I was using the tips of my fingers to balance,
But it wasn’t until they touched you that I learned I wasn’t alone;
That alone bestowed upon me these crooked wings.
“What do you want to accomplish between life and death,” I asked,
But all you did was laugh, like an angel.
Weaving through the spaces of the hordes of buildings burning in the summer heat,
We’ll eventually descend, pulling that trigger at the very end.
And winter will cover everything.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
    • View profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 September 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
Reading this thread:

Offline knitefall

• Cheese
  • Fuck you, fuck you, your cool, fuck you, I am out!
    • View profile
« Reply #47 on: 20 September 2012, 06:29:07 PM »
Thank you Lycoris