Author Topic: Dem Elections  (Read 11137 times)

Kovos_Datch

Dem Elections
« on: 6 November 2012, 11:23:33 PM »
Well it seems that Obama has won again. What do you all think about it?

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
Re: Dem Elections
« Reply #1 on: 6 November 2012, 11:40:13 PM »
gud gud

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 6 November 2012, 11:55:11 PM »
Before asking what we think, you need to include your own thoughts. Bad bad tssk tssk

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 7 November 2012, 06:38:24 AM »
I called it weeks ago, but I didn't realize he would win so big. 332-206. The US News was obsessed with Florida and especially Ohio, but it turns out Obama could have lost both and STILL won.

While I probably wouldn't vote for either him or Romney (instead favouring a better candidate from a minor party), if I had to choose Obama or Romney, I'd choose Obama in a heartbeat.

Too tired to explain why, but most people also from the "Rest of the World" district probably already know why. 48% of the United States electorate apparently thinks Romney is acceptable as a world leader. This race shouldn't have been that close in the popular vote. I encourage everyone in the United states to seek their news from non-mainstream media, and to look at more Non-US news media.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Offline filletfish314

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
    • View profile
« Reply #4 on: 7 November 2012, 07:06:52 AM »
I like the fact I don't have to watch political bullshit whenever i'm on youtube

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #5 on: 7 November 2012, 07:30:59 AM »
Before asking what we think, you need to include your own thoughts. Bad bad tssk tssk

I voted for a 3rd party candidate, so I really have no opinions on who won or lost. I knew the guy I voted wouldn't make it into office :P

Offline knitefall

• Cheese
  • Fuck you, fuck you, your cool, fuck you, I am out!
    • View profile
« Reply #6 on: 7 November 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
What I cared about more was that Fox News had a conspiracy theory strait away...

Offline Emma~

• Member of Parliament
  • Villager
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 7 November 2012, 07:33:42 PM »
What I cared about more was that Fox News had a conspiracy theory strait away...
Fox "News".

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #8 on: 7 November 2012, 08:29:14 PM »

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #9 on: 7 November 2012, 09:56:14 PM »

lol did you even watch Fox News. I'll answer it for you as its very clear you did not. Don't just take what people say, watch it for yourself AND the context of it.

By the way I use to watch CNN until I realized how much they don't cover. Now Fox News does not cover it all either but they cover alot more with alot less bias/opinion.

After you watch that go read the public statements from the things they are talking about. Use any media as a place to quickly find out major events, or find other sources did you did not.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #10 on: 8 November 2012, 12:20:09 AM »

lol did you even watch Fox News. I'll answer it for you as its very clear you did not. Don't just take what people say, watch it for yourself AND the context of it.

By the way I use to watch CNN until I realized how much they don't cover. Now Fox News does not cover it all either but they cover alot more with alot less bias/opinion.

After you watch that go read the public statements from the things they are talking about. Use any media as a place to quickly find out major events, or find other sources did you did not.

CNN is a joke, but Fox News isn't even news. Fox News is biased. Fox News was even removed from the White House's interview circuit because it was actively politically supporting GOP events. An unbiased News organisation doesn't do that (for obvious reasons).

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 1
    • View profile
« Reply #11 on: 8 November 2012, 10:08:13 AM »
lol did you even watch Fox News. I'll answer it for you as its very clear you did not.

Nobody should even waste their time watching Fox News in the beginning, CNN and Fox are both pretty biased and ridiculous.

Offline Runek

• Cheese
  • Where there's a Shadow, there's a Light.
    • View profile
« Reply #12 on: 8 November 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
lol did you even watch Fox News. I'll answer it for you as its very clear you did not.

Nobody should even waste their time watching Fox News in the beginning, CNN and Fox are both pretty biased and ridiculous.

And this is why I'm thankful Canada hasn't discovered electricity yet.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #13 on: 8 November 2012, 11:33:20 AM »
I usually end up watching either CNN or MSNBC. FOX is way too biased (and incorrect for that matter) for my personal tastes. Of course, you could argue that for MSNBC as well. MSNBC has more of a liberal side to things.... but they tend to have facts mostly straight (aside from a few screw ups here and there); it is also easier to see through liberal propaganda to get to the general truth (as opposed to FOX's uber-conservative junk). I only watch Wolf Blitzer on CNN because he keeps the playing field relatively neutral.... not to mention he actually reports news.

That's just my 2 cents :P

Offline Fuzzy_Yeti_69

• Cheese
  • The original Jedi Panda
    • View profile
« Reply #14 on: 8 November 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
As someone from England I have no idea what these channels are like.
Just thought I'd put that useless info out there :P

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #15 on: 8 November 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
I usually end up watching either CNN or MSNBC. FOX is way too biased (and incorrect for that matter) for my personal tastes. Of course, you could argue that for MSNBC as well. MSNBC has more of a liberal side to things.... but they tend to have facts mostly straight (aside from a few screw ups here and there); it is also easier to see through liberal propaganda to get to the general truth (as opposed to FOX's uber-conservative junk). I only watch Wolf Blitzer on CNN because he keeps the playing field relatively neutral.... not to mention he actually reports news.

I think it is better to get the news from non main-stream media. Ako has showed me a few of those websites and they are better than the main-stream media.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #16 on: 8 November 2012, 06:42:51 PM »

I think it is better to get the news from non main-stream media. Ako has showed me a few of those websites and they are better than the main-stream media.

I'm sure it cuts out the polarized BS that American news is famous for. Of course, the news stations broadcast stories in a way to draw in more viewers..... not report on the news.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #17 on: 8 November 2012, 07:41:16 PM »

uber-conservative? What is it with people not knowing what true conservatism means. Fox is not uber-conservative or you never see the other side of the argument at all and prove to me where they have been incorrect compared to the other sources you have stated.

Considering if a new station don't show news and only report on how people feel I can see how its not being incorrect but at the same time they are not showing any news. ("Watch Colts players go bald for coach" , "Thanksgiving secret ingredient: Gratitude" and "Distraction: Cutest animal on planet?" is what CNN puts on its front page... thats not news for a national stage especially when there are world events to be watching.)

MSNBC " ‘I do’ cam catches intimate wedding moments" and "Trapped by Internet 'addiction,' surfers seek help"

Now on Fox News it still has some of the same things, but they are much farther down the main page after the main articles, while on MSNBC and CNN they are near the top and in view when you load the page.

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #18 on: 8 November 2012, 08:24:16 PM »

uber-conservative? What is it with people not knowing what true conservatism means. Fox is not uber-conservative or you never see the other side of the argument at all and prove to me where they have been incorrect compared to the other sources you have stated.

Considering if a new station don't show news and only report on how people feel I can see how its not being incorrect but at the same time they are not showing any news. ("Watch Colts players go bald for coach" , "Thanksgiving secret ingredient: Gratitude" and "Distraction: Cutest animal on planet?" is what CNN puts on its front page... thats not news for a national stage especially when there are world events to be watching.)

MSNBC " ‘I do’ cam catches intimate wedding moments" and "Trapped by Internet 'addiction,' surfers seek help"

Now on Fox News it still has some of the same things, but they are much farther down the main page after the main articles, while on MSNBC and CNN they are near the top and in view when you load the page.

Cj, do you know what they call Republicans? Do you know what they call Democrats? I will tell you:
Republicans are also known as conservatives.
Democrats are also known as liberals.

Do you know why that is?

Liberalism, in a nutshell, focuses on "equality" and "liberty". This means they are Pro-Choice (meaning pro-abortion), for same-sex marriage, and all about equality. They are more liberal in passing bills and favor the lower class. This is what Democrats believe, therefore they are liberals.

This is opposed to conservatives. Conservatives believe in Pro-Life (anti-abortion), traditional marriage, and "stability". They tend to pass bills unless there is some "moral concern". The church is a big advocate for conservatism... and is a big advocate of the Republican party. The Republicans get their platform from the church values, and are, therefore, conservative.

FOX is a big advocate for the Republican party. This means FOX is conservative.

As for the websites? I don't know. I actually like to turn my TV on once in a while and watch the news.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #19 on: 8 November 2012, 10:10:39 PM »

Cj, do you know what they call Republicans? Do you know what they call Democrats? I will tell you:

Do you know why that is?

Liberalism, in a nutshell, focuses on "equality" and "liberty". This means they are Pro-Choice (meaning pro-abortion), for same-sex marriage, and all about equality. They are more liberal in passing bills and favor the lower class. This is what Democrats believe, therefore they are liberals.

This is opposed to conservatives. Conservatives believe in Pro-Life (anti-abortion), traditional marriage, and "stability". They tend to pass bills unless there is some "moral concern". The church is a big advocate for conservatism... and is a big advocate of the Republican party. The Republicans get their platform from the church values, and are, therefore, conservative.

As for the websites? I don't know. I actually like to turn my TV on once in a while and watch the news.

First line "They Call"  Explain your "They" statement. As "They" the way I see you saying it is people that are not the party and not paying attention to the parties views. If you look at conservative blogs and radio hosts you will notice most are calling the Republic leaders out for calling their moves conservative as their moves are not.

Also on the side of both Democrats and Republicans there are conservative Democrats (currently are some) and liberal Republicans (use to be, don't know any current ones off the top of my head.

Also your nutshell definition of Liberalism is not just lacking it is outright wrong. So lets go through it.

Straight from Merrian Webster: "a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity"
Now quote from you "The Republicans get their platform from the church values, and are, therefore, conservative."

So conservative = Church yet liberalism also = church so conservatives cannot be souly based on "church values"

You did get liberty right as your right to do what you want.

Now equality can go both ways. If you do equal work you get equal sharing, and yes equality in the sense you implied would also indicate alike in status (If you could also please go about about if I work harder, more hours, and better quality then someone, why should  we be paid the same salary?)

Also back to Democrats being liberals which means pro-choice go to this http://www.democratsforlife.org/

Now on to your explanation of conservatives

Conservative goes more to the end of do what you want to yourself  just don't have it effect me to sum it up. The pro-life/pro-choice issue that has been going on does not deal with being pro-choice/life but forcing others to allow pro-choice and not letting organisations chose what they want to be. (Oh ya look at this http://www.gopchoice.org/ )

The Pope (Leader of the Catholic Church on Earth) has back both the republican and democrat party depending on the year. Now the church has always backed some conservative views and also some liberal views so saying they are a big advocate for the republican party is not true, they are a big advocate for the person that is currently supporting the most important of their views which can be either a democrat or republican.

Right out of the Republican Platform:
"We likewise support the right of parents to consent to medical treatment for their children, including mental health treatment, drug treatment, and treatment involving pregnancy, contraceptives and abortion."
"We call on the government to permanently ban all federal funding and subsidies for abortion and healthcare plans that include abortion coverage."

So after all of that Fox news is conservative because they support republicans?

And the websites follow the news they show on the TV, just the website usually has more.

Link List
http://www.democratsforlife.org/
http://www.gopchoice.org/
http://www.merriam-webster.com/
http://www.gop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012GOPPlatform.pdf

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #20 on: 8 November 2012, 10:25:23 PM »

Do you know why that is?

First line "They Call"  Explain your "They" statement. As "They" the way I see you saying it is people that are not the party and not paying attention to the parties views. If you look at conservative blogs and radio hosts you will notice most are calling the Republic leaders out for calling their moves conservative as their moves are not.

Also on the side of both Democrats and Republicans there are conservative Democrats (currently are some) and liberal Republicans (use to be, don't know any current ones off the top of my head.

Also your nutshell definition of Liberalism is not just lacking it is outright wrong. So lets go through it.

Straight from Merrian Webster: "a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity"
Now quote from you "The Republicans get their platform from the church values, and are, therefore, conservative."

So conservative = Church yet liberalism also = church so conservatives cannot be souly based on "church values"

Now equality can go both ways. If you do equal work you get equal sharing, and yes equality in the sense you implied would also indicate alike in status (If you could also please go about about if I work harder, more hours, and better quality then someone, why should  we be paid the same salary?)

Also back to Democrats being liberals which means pro-choice go to this http://www.democratsforlife.org/

Conservative goes more to the end of do what you want to yourself  just don't have it effect me to sum it up. The pro-life/pro-choice issue that has been going on does not deal with being pro-choice/life but forcing others to allow pro-choice and not letting organisations chose what they want to be. (Oh ya look at this http://www.gopchoice.org/ )

The Pope (Leader of the Catholic Church on Earth) has back both the republican and democrat party depending on the year. Now the church has always backed some conservative views and also some liberal views so saying they are a big advocate for the republican party is not true, they are a big advocate for the person that is currently supporting the most important of their views which can be either a democrat or republican.

"We likewise support the right of parents to consent to medical treatment for their children, including mental health treatment, drug treatment, and treatment involving pregnancy, contraceptives and abortion."
"We call on the government to permanently ban all federal funding and subsidies for abortion and healthcare plans that include abortion coverage."

And the websites follow the news they show on the TV, just the website usually has more.

Link List

Republican politicians and rape:

Chart, courtesy of Janvier.

Deadly diseases are a gift from God too: if so...heh thank you god.
Influenced by the little man in the sky!

« Last Edit: 8 November 2012, 11:07:34 PM by airborne101st45 »

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #21 on: 8 November 2012, 10:41:26 PM »

Uber-conservative means Republican-supporting in this case. This is well known. There are many pieces of evidence to show that Fox is biased, and I think there is a YouTube play list somewhere, which I'll find soon. There are also documentaries on the subject. The White House fucking had to stop treating Fox as a News Organization because it was acting like (and basically is) an arm of the Republican Party.

Fox News can use the slogan "Fair and Balanced" or "No Spin Zone" all they want, but it doesn't make it true. It's also an odd slogan, wtf news channel needs to remind people it is unbiased? lol.

Fox News's founders and anchors have repeatedly said that many news stations tell "one side of the story" and that Fox tells "the other side". While they relentlessly defend Fox as being balanced, they still accidentally say that they are telling the side that the "liberal media" doesn't tell. ie: Fox knows damn well they have a conservative bias.

But saying "we tell the other (conservative) side" is admitting bias. Want some mothafuckin proof?

At 9:25, Chris Wallace says, "I don't think our viewers are the least bit disappointed in us. I think our viewers think finally they're getting someone who tells the other side of the story." As opposed to the liberal view they claim other news oranizations have. This is an admission of bias. Translation: MSNBC/CNN/NBC tell the Democrat side, we tell the Republican side.

To sink deeper, Wallace often compares Fox News to The Daily Show, which is hilarious, because one is informative, and one is a comedy program. Sometimes it's just hard to tell which is which (oh snap!).

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #22 on: 8 November 2012, 10:49:05 PM »

I am saying "they" to cover the general population/news media/etc. "They" was not suppose to convey the cross party alignments.

I am not saying all conservatives are Republicans and all liberals are Democrats. That would be a hasting and sweeping generalization... and therefore totally wrong. I am saying that some of them, however, do follow this set.

I am also not saying all Republicans are conservative and all Democrats are liberal. That, too, is a generalization.

Yes, content from Christianity. Here is a quote straight from Wikipedia: "Currently the party's platform generally reflects American conservatism in the U.S. political spectrum." Note the conservatism part.

They also support (from Wikipedia):
"A majority of the GOP's national and state candidates are pro-life and oppose elective abortion on religious or moral grounds."
"Many Republicans support race-neutral admissions policies in universities, but support taking into account the socioeconomic status of the student."
"The 2004 Republican platform expressed support for the Federal Marriage Amendment to the United States Constitution to define marriage as exclusively between one man and one woman. Generally speaking, most Republicans have opposed government recognition of same-sex unions such as with same-sex marriage."

The church opposes same-sax marriage as well as abortion.

Here are some stats for you, CJ (also from Wikipedia):
"Fifty-nine percent of Protestants voted for Bush, along with 52% of Catholics"

The Republican party is obviously favored by the general Christian population. Is it 100% based off church values? Of course not! How could anyone be so foolish to think that? Is a most of it? Yes.

Here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_%28United_States%29

Again, from Wikipedia:
"They are generally against affirmative action for women and some minorities, often describing it as a quota system, believing that it is not meritocratic and that it is counter-productive socially by only further promoting discrimination."

The Republican party tends not to worry with racial policies. When one comes up, they are hesitant about it.
As for economy, they support a free market. That usually means little government involvement. This also means that big business is able to thrive in such a market.

Again, I already covered that not all Democrats are liberals and not all liberals are Democrats.

However, from Wikipedia:
"The Democratic Party, in its national platforms from 1992 to 2004, has called for abortion to be "safe, legal and rare" — namely, keeping it legal by rejecting laws that allow governmental interference in abortion decisions, and reducing the number of abortions by promoting both knowledge of reproduction and contraception, and incentives for adoption. The wording changed in the 2008 platform. When Congress voted on the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act in 2003, Congressional Democrats were split, with a minority (including current Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid) supporting the ban, and the majority of Democrats opposing the legislation."

The Partial-Birth Act has to do with getting an abortion later on in the pregnancy. However, they called abortions "to be 'safe, legal and rare'." The party supports abortion, plain and simple.

Here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_%28United_States%29#Social_issues

It seems that you are saying the only church is the Catholic church here; I can promise you that is untrue. Protestants (a.k.a. not Catholics) usually support the more conservative Republican party no matter what the Catholics think. Protestant churches do not follow Catholic orders.

As for the conservative argument in the section... I'm not quite sure what you are saying. I think my previous quotes will do my argument some justice.

Link List

The Republicans are seen as more conservative because they oppose liberal movements, such as same-sex marriage, and are therefore seen as "conservatives". FOX news generally backs the TEA Party as well as the Republican party... which means they, in turn, support the more conservative party. Because they support the more conservative party, they are bound to have more conservative views. Because they have more conservative views, they are seen as conservative.

It's basic logic.... I'm unsure as to why you are arguing with this. I am not trying to make hasting and sweeping generalizations, but to show the basic logic behind all this.

As for Ako, thank you for supporting this simple logic.

Offline JANUARYJONES

• Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #23 on: 8 November 2012, 10:59:45 PM »

How I feel reading this thread and then coming by seeing you stole my rape chart.

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #24 on: 8 November 2012, 11:04:24 PM »

How I feel reading this thread and then coming by seeing you stole my rape chart.

I'm sorry, I was gonna add "chart, courtesy of Janvier" but my phone lost 3G connection.

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #25 on: 8 November 2012, 11:27:12 PM »
*Not quoting message as to long*

Wikipedia really man? You can go on there and change what it says, you can use Wikipedia as a way to find general information but before ever using it in a debate go look at the real sources and then come back with sources that state what you said.

Also your generalizations for back the church I just picked one If you are going to pick out just that I pointed to Catholicism as an example then you did not read the next line in which most Christians follow (and also most other religions also)

"The Republicans are seen as more conservative because they oppose liberal movements" More conservative does not make them conservative just less liberal.
« Last Edit: 8 November 2012, 11:32:37 PM by cjm721 »

Offline Airbongo

• Cheese
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #26 on: 8 November 2012, 11:44:15 PM »

Wikipedia really man? You can go on there and change what it says, you can use Wikipedia as a way to find general information but before ever using it in a debate go look at the real sources and then come back with sources that state what you said.

Also your generalizations for back the church I just picked one If you are going to pick out just that I pointed to Catholicism as an example then you did not read the next line in which most Christians follow (and also most other religions also)

"The Republicans are seen as more conservative because they oppose liberal movements" More conservative does not make them conservative just less liberal.

I knew you were gonna complain about him using Wikipedia. He could list all sources from Wikipedia and read them first but:

Offline cjm721

• [FORUM BANNED]
  • Cheese
    • View profile
« Reply #27 on: 8 November 2012, 11:47:10 PM »

I knew you were gonna complain about him using Wikipedia. He could list all sources from Wikipedia and read them first but:

Or just not used Wikipedia in the first place. Besides to scroll to the bottom and look at sources and go to those pages.

Offline Akomine

• Cheese
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
« Reply #28 on: 9 November 2012, 12:49:51 AM »

Are you honestly saying that the sections he pulled from Wikipedia were deliberately vandalized so as to give an incorrect piece of information?

Yes, an unprotected Wikipedia article can be edited by anyone, but this doesn't mean that the site isn't a good source. I'd argue the contrary, Wikipedia has tens of thousands of excellent articles with knowledge input from every corner of the globe, every field of expertise, and every type of mind there is. While I'll agree that Wikipedia can miss the point sometimes... there is no reason that going to another source is any better. Wikipedia's well-sourced articles are peer reviewed more than any other website, and there is a concerted effort to omit biased sources.

I live in Canada, a liberal country, where the dominant party for two-thirds of this country's existence has been the Liberal Party. Historically, even our conservative parties have been roughly more liberal than your liberal party (the Democrats). It seems that you are somehow trying to say that the Republicans or their subsidiary Fox News aren't necessarily "conservative", or "true conservative". But this is a moot point, and you are arguing a straw man (an argument nobody is making).

The GOP is neo-conservative, under the umbrella of the general political theory of conservatism. Saying the GOP is conservative is just a factual statement and doesn't need to garner a weird political/philosophical debate on what conservatism is.

Furthermore, Fox News is conservative because it actively supports the Republican party and its ideas.
FURTHERMORE, Fox News is UNBALANCED because IT ACTIVELY SUPPORTS THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

It doesn't require a magnifying glass to find this bias for me. I'll find you some good examples tomorrow.
You probably won't like me citing clips of The Daily Show, but can I?

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #29 on: 9 November 2012, 06:21:14 AM »

If you look at the top right hand corner under the search bar on this page (the one I sited before), you will see a little lock icon. This icon is to show that the page is semi-protected so people can't be jacking with it. If you would like to make better argument than "people can change things on Wikipedia" (which they can.... on non-protected pages), be my guest.

The page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_%28United_States%29

As for the rest of your argument, I believe Ako has that covered. I said my part, yet you refuse to listen.

Offline Runek

• Cheese
  • Where there's a Shadow, there's a Light.
    • View profile
« Reply #30 on: 9 November 2012, 08:55:29 AM »
Well, if nothing else, I think we've established that good, rational people can have completely opposite beliefs and opinions.

Fortunately, as adults, we're capable of setting those differences aside and respecting eachother's choices. Right?  ;)

Also, that rape chart is going on my cube wall until HR gets mad. I work in an office full of women - this will be a fun day.