Author Topic: Exploiting the server  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Akomine (OP)

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 666
  • Meep Meep
    • View profile
Exploiting the server
« on: 12 November 2012, 06:41:46 PM »
In the past, players have discovered exploits that could allow someone to gain a blatantly unfair advantage over others on VillageCraft.
Players can respond to these exploits in 3 ways:
A) They don't realize that it is an exploit, or for whatever reason ignore it,
B) They tell staff about it so that it doesn't get exploited, or;
C) They exploit it.

In circumstance A, we do nothing regarding that player.
In circumstance B, we reward that player. Sometimes quite heavily. I will never disclose what the rewards are, but I will simply say that it is hugely appreciated, we realize that kind deeds have positive value, and you earn a great deal of respect from us.
In circumstance C, we punish the people who are essentially stealing money out of the cash register while the store clerk isn't looking.

Today, a few players noticed a showcase sitting randomly on one of Qualia's streets selling unlimited gunpowder for 10 cents a piece. The showcase was accidentally put there by CJ from a test server when he was repairing showcases. The first player to find it falls into category A. Nobody opted for category B in this case. Everyone else to find it seems to have opted for category C.

Nothing will happen to the player in category A (zues9999999) and he can keep the gunpowder he bought below market value, and we will 100% pardon him of any wrongdoing.

As for everybody else...
Players who took less than 1,000 items from the showcase will simply be charged market value for those gunpowers.
Players who took more than 1,000 will be charged market value plus 1 hour of tempban per $1,000 dollars of value. The largest punishment in this case is $211,224 plus almost 9 days in tempban time. All players punished have the opportunity to appeal.

PLEASE tell us of any exploits you discover, we will love you long time (and reward you).

Please DO NOT exploit them. Not only is it quite easy for us to see exactly who did what, but it also hurts the server which we have all put a ton of work into. We want everyone to have a fun place to play, not a place where a select few get ahead because of their unfair exploitation.

<3,
Akomine

The full calculated list of exploited gunpowders, the names of those who took part in the exploitation, and the exact punishments can be seen here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlsRxq2dDVZSdHpFVTR1YktQNG1kNmhzX0RYODhJT0E
Should any of these players be pardoned on appeal, I will edit this post, the information in that link, and give a public apology.

Ako is gay and has superaids - Air

Kovos_Datch

Re: Exploiting the server
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
When I looked at the GoogleDocs and saw your name, Ako, at the bottom of the list, I let out a hearty laugh! I seriously think that made my day.

Offline Airbongo

• Staff Member | Administrator
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: 69
  • Eh, what's up, doc?
    • View profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
Players that exploited the showcase:

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
2 things,
Air your awesome
Jaaa I'm disappointed with you..

« Last Edit: 13 November 2012, 11:49:26 AM by TheCatsMangler »

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
3 things,
Air your awesome
Butter(Nickname) Was talking about she found a few exploits and her friend did to, Although she did not tell me any of them.....

She shouldn't be telling YOU anything, Catty. The staff & PRs should be alerted; they, then, can deal with such exploits. It is not your job to be patrolling around VC. If they are using know exploits, the staff will catch them and deal with them accordingly.

On a side note, bring such information up with the staff/PRs. Please don't post it on the general forums as it brings unwanted/unwarranted attention to others. The staff can deal with said people in private; if the people, or staff, want to bring it to light, they can. However, they don't need a 3rd, unqualified party to get involved. If you want to make a full complaint about such activity, put it in the Reports section.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for bringing this to staff's attention Catty.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2012, 11:45:09 AM by Kovos_Datch »

Offline TheCatsMangler

• Member of Parliament
  • Cheese
  • Llamas: -3
    • View profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2012, 11:49:11 AM »
3 things,
Air your awesome
Butter(Nickname) Was talking about she found a few exploits and her friend did to, Although she did not tell me any of them.....

She shouldn't be telling YOU anything, Catty. The staff & PRs should be alerted; they, then, can deal with such exploits. It is not your job to be patrolling around VC. If they are using know exploits, the staff will catch them and deal with them accordingly.

On a side note, bring such information up with the staff/PRs. Please don't post it on the general forums as it brings unwanted/unwarranted attention to others. The staff can deal with said people in private; if the people, or staff, want to bring it to light, they can. However, they don't need a 3rd, unqualified party to get involved. If you want to make a full complaint about such activity, put it in the Reports section.

Thanks.

Kovos all I ment was she started talking about it so I reported it here but she diden say any exploits of how to do them she was just saying she was exploiting, And I was to busy laughing at airs pictures to think so sorry about that

Kovos_Datch

« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
3 things,
Air your awesome

Thanks.

Kovos all I ment was she started talking about it so I reported it here but she diden say any exploits of how to do them she was just saying she was exploiting, And I was to busy laughing at airs pictures to think so sorry about that

Okay, good man.

Thanks, Catty.

Offline knitefall

• Cheese
  • Llamas: 0
  • Fuck you, fuck you, your cool, fuck you, I am out!
    • View profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
Doesn't surprise me that Hunter would be the top one. He has done this on many other server that I have played with him.